Author Topic: PL lamp in outdoor light  (Read 953 times)
RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Ryan Korponay The Ballaster
PL lamp in outdoor light « on: January 16, 2017, 12:15:43 PM » Author: RyanKorponay12
I'm wanting to fit my outdoor light with a 26 watt PL lamp and I replaced the medium Base with a 4 prong PL base and now I need to put the ballast somewhere and I'm not sure we're help please!

The Ballaster!!! *Poof*...

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PL lamp in outdoor light « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 12:51:54 PM » Author: wattMaster
What does the outdoor light look like?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PL lamp in outdoor light « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 01:35:30 PM » Author: Ash
Assuming this is Electronic ballast (based on the 4pin lamp and on your location)

Electronic ballasts need a dry place. Inside a sealed/protected luminaire outdoors is okay, and indoors is okay. Behind the luminaire, where water might flow through on the wall, is to be avoided

There is a limit on the length of the wiring from the ballast to the lamp. Ideally it'd have to be close to the lamp - within a foot or so, but probably would work just fine within a few ft

Ballasts can be installed in any sort of standard electrical connection box or panel, or in specially made enclosures for ballasts. Most of those are for recessed cans with PLs, i.e. they are designed for use in the inner space of a ceiling. But can be used anywhere you want in a dry location. With a waterproof box they can be used outdoors

So, your main choices are :

- Ballast inside the luminaire

- Ballast in a box, with a 4+Earth cable to the luminaire

i am not familiar with your electrical codes, so i am suggesting what i see as "good practice" generally. Maybe your codes will have more specific requirements
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies