Author Topic: 30's vintage radio sign w/fluorescent bulb  (Read 2999 times)
thedman
30's vintage radio sign w/fluorescent bulb « on: January 17, 2017, 11:57:08 PM » Author: thedman
I restore antique radios and recently picked up a very unusual GE window sign with a Mazda 15W blue fluorescent bulb inside.  To start the bulb, you have to turn the switch on then forward for 2-3 seconds and let go to make the bulb start.  I have never seen this and wondered how common this is/was?  Also, it had two capacitors, one on each side of the AC line.  As they were not marked, I replaced them with .01@630v mylar caps. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:30:40 PM by thedman » Logged
thedman
Re: 30's vintage radio sign w/fluorescent bulb « Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 11:51:36 PM » Author: thedman
No ideas?
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 30's vintage radio sign w/fluorescent bulb « Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 02:17:50 AM » Author: ace100w120v
The Push/Hold/Release starting method was common.  The blue Mazda lamp, that's pretty rare and old! Be careful, it has zinc beryllium phosphors, and if broken those are VERY toxic, as in causing gangrene in open wounds kind of toxic.  Very neat fixture, though!
thedman
Re: 30's vintage radio sign w/fluorescent bulb « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 11:03:31 AM » Author: thedman
Thank you for the note.  I have a couple of other single bulb signs from the same period but none with the push to start switch.  They just go on when plugged in.  Do you know why it has capacitors on the AC line.  Did this have something to do with the special switch?

Regards,
Donald
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: 30's vintage radio sign w/fluorescent bulb « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 02:10:12 PM » Author: Solanaceae
My guess is if it was across any part of the switch is to prevent arcing of the contacts and prolong the switch life. In my 1949 circline desk lamp it had a .006uf cap across the line and neutral, my guess is noise suppression on the line or again some sort of starting arc suppressor. If the other signs you speak of come on when plugged in, and they're late 30s, you could have done very rare magnetic or thermal aux ballasts. Please post pix if possible of the ballasts.
Welcome to the club bulb buddy btw. :)

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 30's vintage radio sign w/fluorescent bulb « Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 02:11:11 PM » Author: hannahs lights
The condensers across line and neutral will be for noise suppressor probably better than normal suppressor as its in a radio shop the last thing you need is noise to spoil reception of the radios your trying to sell. Also would probably be fairly effective in band 1 tv to stop noise bars on nearby tvs
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:07:49 PM by hannahs lights » Logged
thedman
Re: 30's vintage radio sign w/fluorescent bulb « Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 03:09:29 PM » Author: thedman
Thanks again.  I am surprised it works and the Mazda 15W tube is good.  Really pretty blue color.  I bought two replacements as I understand they don't make blue T8's anymore.

Donald
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: 30's vintage radio sign w/fluorescent bulb « Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 07:17:33 PM » Author: nicksfans
Buying replacement tubes is a good move. Interlectric still has the F15T8/B listed on their site, and I found this site where you can buy them individually, but it probably won't be long before you won't even be able to buy those tubes anymore.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

thedman
Re: 30's vintage radio sign w/fluorescent bulb « Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 08:08:40 PM » Author: thedman
I'll share what I found.  This place was a lot less expensive and the bulbs arrived well wrapped.
https://atrlighting.com/

Donald
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies