Author Topic: Need help please with information on two vintage street lamps  (Read 2944 times)
PennywiseThrift
Need help please with information on two vintage street lamps « on: February 16, 2017, 12:47:21 PM » Author: PennywiseThrift
Hello all,

We are Eric & Georgia and together we own and operate Pennywise Thrift Shop in Westminster, Colorado and are new to this site.
Here is our reason for joining-
At an estate sale, we recently purchased a lot which included two vintage street lamp heads in excellent condition. We were told that these street lamps once adorned the city streets of Denver back in the 1920's and 1930's, however we have no way of verifying that.
We have done a fairly extensive internet search and came up short in determining the age, time period and approximate value of this pair.
So we decided to take this to the experts - you folks!
We have attached some pictures of one of the two lamps (both are identical) and are very hopeful that someone out there can offer us some information.
If anyone out there is interested in purchasing them, we are open to that as well.
Each street light measures 49" tall on their base collar. These have a total of 16 glass panels (8 on bottom half and 8 on top-no cracks or chips) and each comes with a base collar that would fit an 5 1/2" diameter lamp post. Each lamp has a glass dome diffuser and each take a mogul base light bulb.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide!
Eric & Georgia - Owners
Pennywise Thrift Shop
7961 Federal Blvd #101
Westminster, CO 80030

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Need help please with information on two vintage street lamps « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:58:50 PM » Author: Patrick
These octagonal luminaires are one of my favorite traditional designs, in part because they were common where I grew up.  It wouldn't surprise me if that time period was correct.  I presume it may be possible to confirm from the socket if it was used on a series incandescent system, though somebody more familiar with antique lighting than myself would need to take a look at it.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Need help please with information on two vintage street lamps « Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 11:46:22 PM » Author: Lodge
Nice light, and time frame your looking at seems to fit the design, but I don't know enough about them to really help, but it looks like a fixture they wouldn't just use everywhere but places like bridges or wealthy areas...
PennywiseThrift
Re: Need help please with information on two vintage street lamps « Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:13:00 PM » Author: PennywiseThrift
Thank you for your input.
PennywiseThrift
Re: Need help please with information on two vintage street lamps « Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 09:14:16 PM » Author: PennywiseThrift
Thank you for your input.
We wish there were knowledgeable folks here in Denver that we could take them to but we have yet to find any.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Need help please with information on two vintage street lamps « Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 01:45:49 AM » Author: Silverliner
Those might be GE Form 18Bs. Los Angeles used to have lots of these, some are still in use.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Need help please with information on two vintage street lamps « Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 07:33:51 PM » Author: Lodge
Those might be GE Form 18Bs. Los Angeles used to have lots of these, some are still in use.

If they are from LA you might want to email someone from this museum they might offer a little insight into them. http://bsl.lacity.org/museum.html ( they also have some very nice fixture pictures with write up's, showing earlier lighting )

And if they offer some info, please come back and post it here so we can all learn about the history of them... 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:35:30 PM by Lodge » Logged
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Need help please with information on two vintage street lamps « Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 10:41:39 PM » Author: Patrick
I see we have a couple of Novalux Form 23A catalog pages (Page 536, Page 537).

Here is another good page with photos from the LA museum.

I recall this style of lantern from the Chicago area, where similar lights can be found in Evanston and several other surrounding suburbs today.

Lighting-Gallery.net

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Need help please with information on two vintage street lamps « Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 12:20:04 PM » Author: Lumex120
I see we have a couple of Novalux Form 23A catalog pages (Page 536, Page 537).

Here is another good page with photos from the LA museum.

I recall this style of lantern from the Chicago area, where similar lights can be found in Evanston and several other surrounding suburbs today.

Wow, that LA museum is amazing. What is that weird box-shaped fixture that has 3 refractors?

Unofficial LG Discord

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Need help please with information on two vintage street lamps « Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 05:50:26 PM » Author: Patrick
Wow, that LA museum is amazing. What is that weird box-shaped fixture that has 3 refractors?

Those are the Hollywood Specials.  Unfortunately they were all replaced a little over 10 years ago.  Here is a row of them, one closer up, and the fixture alone.  If you search for Hollywood in the gallery you'll find several more shots.

Lighting-Gallery.net

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies