Author Topic: Need help identifying a gasolier  (Read 2368 times)
PennywiseThrift
Need help identifying a gasolier « on: February 16, 2017, 01:09:32 PM » Author: PennywiseThrift
Hello all,

We are Eric & Georgia and together we own and operate Pennywise Thrift Shop in Westminster, Colorado and are new to this site.
Here is our reason for joining and contacting you via this forum-
At an estate sale, we recently purchased a lot which included a gasolier - see pictures.
We have done a fairly extensive internet search and came up short in determining the age, time period and approximate value of this gasolier.
So we decided to take this to the experts - you folks!
We have attached some pictures of this lamp and are hopeful that someone out there can offer us some information.
If anyone out there is interested in purchasing this, we are open to that as well.
We have gone over this with a fine toothed comb and couldn't see any maker marks but we can't help but think it is in some obscure spot that we aren't looking in.
This particular gasolier has eight lights (4 electric and 4 gas jets) surrounding the perimeter of Tiffany style handmade slag glass panes with three electric lamps and one gas jet inside the dome for a total of 12-lamps. This gasolier was apparently modified early on with the introduction of electricity as the sockets are the very first mica disc type socket, which we found are very sought after by collectors.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide!
Eric & Georgia - Owners
Pennywise Thrift Shop
7961 Federal Blvd #101
Westminster, CO 80030
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Need help identifying a gasolier « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:13:36 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
No idea on age or value or anything, but cool light.

---------------
Not related, but..
If I'm ever in Westminster I'll have to go to that Thrift Shop.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

PennywiseThrift
Re: Need help identifying a gasolier « Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 09:31:18 PM » Author: PennywiseThrift
We thought so too xmaslightguy and thanks for checking in.
If you ever make it to the shop, be sure to let us know who you are.
Always interested in meeting like-minded folks!
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Need help identifying a gasolier « Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 04:58:07 PM » Author: Solanaceae
That's an old boy, possibly 90s, as in 1890s lol. Btw welcome to the club bulb budy. Keep us posted on anything else, like fluorescent lights you find. 8)

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

PennywiseThrift
Re: Need help identifying a gasolier « Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 05:08:14 PM » Author: PennywiseThrift
Thanks for the post Solanaceae!
We will absolutely be sure to post anything vintage and light related to this board.
Thanks again!
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Need help identifying a gasolier « Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 08:34:24 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@PennywiseThrift:
If I ever do make it up there, I'll do that..

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Need help identifying a gasolier « Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 04:33:10 AM » Author: lights*plus
This is a fascinating fixture possibly from before the turn of the 20th century as Solanaceae mentions. If the lamps still on this are from that period they would be a gold-mine for clues...

After the initial successes with incandescent and arc-lamps at around 1880-1900, it was uncertain if electricity would displace illuminating gas. Mantled gas-light was flourishing in this period. The first electric power systems for incandescent lighting used direct current (DC) generators with DC light bulbs. These early systems often had power disruptions and voltage drops; The voltage in DC power wires steadily declined with increasing distance and power plants needed to be close to the lamps they served.

Many "upscale" houses were constructed with dual services (gas and electric) in that period. If you can remove - very carefully - a few of the lamps and take a picture or two post it here. Also look closely at the base of the lamps for any markings. The lamps might be 100volt DC lamps.
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need help identifying a gasolier « Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 02:36:10 PM » Author: hannahs lights
Welcome to LG thats a very pretty lamp you are lucky to have it. Unfortunately I know nothing about it just wanted to say how. much I like itI like it
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies