Author Topic: What Change in Lighting Throughout the Years Annoys you the Most?  (Read 1671 times)
HPS Lover
What Change in Lighting Throughout the Years Annoys you the Most? « on: February 20, 2017, 03:39:11 PM » Author: HPS Lover
Hello all!  I was just curious to know as to what changes within the “world of lighting” you have been the most pissed off about.

-First, and in general, I am referring to the recent modification of installations, such as the swapping of MV fixtures for another light source, such as LED.

-Second, we just can’t forget the bulb/ballast bans!  All in all, despite each ban being extremely dumb, which one of the bans do you feel is most “over-the-top?”

Here are some of mine:

“Improvements”:
   -Replacement of metal halide/MV fixtures for LED.

-Removal of working MV fixtures in general.

-THIS change HERE: http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4034&pos=1&pid=128893

Bans:

-Mercury vapor fixture/ballast ban.

-100W incandescent.

-Attempted 3-way incandescent ban (overturned), pretty much on Obama’s last day.

-I’d be interested to see what you all have to say!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:44:42 PM by Mercury Vapor 456 » Logged
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What Change in Lighting Throughout the Years Annoys you the Most? « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 04:19:10 PM » Author: dor123
Lamp/Ballast/Tube bans.
Energy efficiency and LED projects.
The fact that LEDs replacing everything in every application, even in things that it isn't suitable.
Article about LED lightings and the approach of the israeli people and media to the LED. See here for an example .
Local lighting factories going bankrupts because of this (Shaltiel for example)
There are lot of Schreder Teceo 2 15,000lm and Gaash Venus lanterns in Haifa, that replaced perfectly working 250W HPS lanterns (Mostly AEG Koffer 150 and AEG/Philips Stradasole 530).

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Change in Lighting Throughout the Years Annoys you the Most? « Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:34:23 AM » Author: tolivac
ALL of the lamp,ballast bans should be rescinded and scrapped.Return to FREEDOM OF CHOICE-that is what the US is all about.And some of the lamps,ballasts being banned are MORE efficient,reliable than the LED anyway.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: What Change in Lighting Throughout the Years Annoys you the Most? « Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:51:31 AM » Author: lights*plus
I suppose you'd also like lead to be put back into your paint and gasoline? Big engines sure  run quieter with leaded gasoline. How about asbestos in insulation materials? Sure was a warm and comfy wrap.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: What Change in Lighting Throughout the Years Annoys you the Most? « Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 02:27:13 AM » Author: Silverliner
Bans annoy me more than any natural evolution. >:(

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Change in Lighting Throughout the Years Annoys you the Most? « Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 03:07:14 AM » Author: Ash
Quote from: GE
Believing that [...], and that fewer choices can benefit consumers best ..
This sort of statements and actions

http://hub.currentbyge.com/h/i/260871168-cfl-vs-halogen-vs-led
dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: What Change in Lighting Throughout the Years Annoys you the Most? « Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 01:21:42 PM » Author: dischargecraze
The bans on incandescent and mercury lamps has bothered me as I can no longer get a mercury lamp at stores. They also weren't very popular in my area.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: What Change in Lighting Throughout the Years Annoys you the Most? « Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 02:28:16 PM » Author: Lumex120
Definitely people assuming LEDs are the solution to world peace and therefore replacing EVERYTHING with them. E.g. replacing 2 year old CMH floods with LED floodlights that are less than half as bright.

Unofficial LG Discord

dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: What Change in Lighting Throughout the Years Annoys you the Most? « Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 03:53:05 PM » Author: dischargecraze
Yes it's rediculous. Better at least get the same output.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Change in Lighting Throughout the Years Annoys you the Most? « Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 06:24:48 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
My biggest annoyance would be the changes to fluorescent standards back in the 90s that made T8 fluorescents not as efficient and long lasting and also the electronic instant start ballasts. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Change in Lighting Throughout the Years Annoys you the Most? « Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 12:52:56 AM » Author: tolivac
Lights plus:-I didn't say anything about lead and asbestos-Those have been around for as long  as man has-the hazards of them are overblown.When I was a boy and a member of a jr rifle club-I helpted clean out the backstops at their range--I mean BIG chunks of fused lead from bullets -I am still around and normal health today.What I want is the repeal of the light bans,appliance water and energy regs,and so on-not really those on lead or asbestos-these aren't really that dangerous unless you go out of your way.And at the target range before anyone got into the bullet trap the range was shut down for several hours.Sand in the trap absorbed most of the lead dust and you carefully shoveled it out and put in fresh sand.That indoor range was used for .22 rifles and pistols and .38 and .45 handguns.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies