Author Topic: WW tubes with pinkish tinge  (Read 2000 times)
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

WW tubes with pinkish tinge « on: February 27, 2017, 03:39:37 PM » Author: Flurofan96
Hi there  :)

There are certain WW tubes that emit a pinky whitish colour rather than a peachy yellow colour.

What makes of tubes are likely to do this?

All Best

Flurofan96

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WW tubes with pinkish tinge « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 03:53:36 PM » Author: Ash
Guess : Designers abusing the "Red/Pink" component for the Triphosphors mix, while trying to make the lamp appear warmer/Redder (possibly some sort of overreaction to the "this is not close enough to Incandescent" complaints at 827 CFLs. Then eventually the same mix recipe would be used for 827 for linear lamps too)

My experiments and personal observations :

Osram Dulux D 18W/827 : fair 827

Osram Dulux D 18W/830 : Good Warm White, without Pink. I think it looks better than 827

Osram L 36W/830 : Different than the Dulux D 830. Like 830 but with some Pink
Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WW tubes with pinkish tinge « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 04:30:50 PM » Author: Beta 5
Hi there  :)

There are certain WW tubes that emit a pinky whitish colour rather than a peachy yellow colour.

What makes of tubes are likely to do this?

All Best

Flurofan96

Halophosphate colour 29-530 (3000K) makes a pinkish colour, unlike triphosphate.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WW tubes with pinkish tinge « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 05:50:49 PM » Author: Flurofan96
What about 3500K?

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WW tubes with pinkish tinge « Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 07:30:21 AM » Author: Ash
Guess again. Daylight Halo (765) is the most common 36W tube over here. The light is nice White without any odd tinges
TL8W

View Posts
View Gallery

Lee

None
Re: WW tubes with pinkish tinge « Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 08:18:38 AM » Author: TL8W
Halophosphate warm white 29 tubes often have more of a pink tinge when first started, as there is less output from the mercury vapour in a cold lamp. It's particularly striking when one compares a fully warmed up lamp to one just started, from the same batch and brand, side by side in a twin luminaire. The fully warmed tube will appear more yellow once the mercury spectral component complements the phosphor output. This phenomenon is also present in Halophosphate white 35 lamps, but less so in cool white 33 - indeed it seems to decrease inversely with lamp colour temperature.

We do not have to agree on anything to be kind to one another. The ability to be civil is available to everyone on earth, for free.

TL8W

View Posts
View Gallery

Lee

None
Re: WW tubes with pinkish tinge « Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 05:52:21 PM » Author: TL8W
The upper tube had been on for 5 minutes or so, and is more or less fully warmed up. The lower tube was started no more than ten seconds before the pic was taken. For the experiment two batch-identical lamps were used.

We do not have to agree on anything to be kind to one another. The ability to be civil is available to everyone on earth, for free.

TL8W

View Posts
View Gallery

Lee

None
Re: WW tubes with pinkish tinge « Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 06:33:33 PM » Author: TL8W
Here are white and cool white, as imagined, the difference in the cool white 33 tubes was the least, due to closer alignment of the phosphor spectral peak with the green 546nm mercury line.

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WW tubes with pinkish tinge « Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 09:37:22 AM » Author: Flurofan96
Thanks for the demo TL8W  8) now I can see the effect of warming up on the Colour temperature. I had a CFL (literally exploded on 10th Feb this year) that at start was like 2700K peach colour but then at full brightness was like 3000-4000K matching very closely to the OSRAM white 36W tube used in my Ring Lighting fixture in my bathroom.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies