Author Topic: Greetings from north Atlanta, Georgia!  (Read 409 times)
Andy Sodium

View Gallery

Greetings from north Atlanta, Georgia! « on: March 01, 2017, 09:14:08 PM » Author: Andy Sodium
Hi all, I've been a lifelong lighting enthusiast that has only just recently really recognized how much I enjoy lighting. The neighborhood I grew up in was rather large and built in the 50's, needless to say it had many MV cobraheads. Some of the earliest memories I have with lighting is riding around in the car at night staring at all the streetlights looking for the blue ones among all the orange. Part of that is being as young as I was my head was lower than the bottom of the window and all I could do is look up. Flash forward many years and what really got me into lighting was trying to improve the lighting where I worked. It had several 400w MH highbays that were almost 10 years old and burning dimly. For some reason it drew my attention and I wanted to make it better. I ended up doing tons of research and found a high quality lamp that put out great quality light (Philips 330w cdm allstart, 90cri!). It has been all downhill from there. All the lighting around my house has mostly focused on HPS as MV attracts too many bugs.

I have a few hps and MV fixtures and bits that I have acquired from eBay and have my first LPS fixture coming from the UK (beta 5), for which I am very excited. LPS is almost non-existent where I live, but I have found one installation of them as overhead lighting for a walkway in an office park in norcross off of jimmy carter Blvd. I hope to take photos of these at some point.

After many years I have found that I am quite an odd bird to be so fascinated by these things. However, I'm very happy to be as I am and excited to be in a community of folks just as interested in the wonderful world of lighting!
funkybulb

View Gallery

Re: Greetings from north Atlanta, Georgia! « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 10:00:45 PM » Author: funkybulb
Happy light greeting and your in for world of lights ahead of you Grin

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

rjluna2

View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Greetings from north Atlanta, Georgia! « Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 11:17:22 AM » Author: rjluna2
Hi Andy Sodium Smiley

I am also from Atlanta area as well Cheesy

Welcome aboard Wink

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Andy Sodium

View Gallery

Re: Greetings from north Atlanta, Georgia! « Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 01:58:39 PM » Author: Andy Sodium
Thanks for the warm welcome! I hope to meet at least some of y'all in the future sometime. It would be awesome to go to a get together/swap meet if one exists.
nicksfans

View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Greetings from north Atlanta, Georgia! « Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 09:30:45 PM » Author: nicksfans
Welcome to the site! I'm about 2 hours up I-85 from you. The biggest L-G "swap meet" I've been to consisted of myself and 3 other members, and it actually was in Georgia. Maybe something similar can be set up again.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Andy Sodium

View Gallery

Re: Greetings from north Atlanta, Georgia! « Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 06:16:06 PM » Author: Andy Sodium
That would be amazing! How do we go about setting that up?
nicksfans

View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: Greetings from north Atlanta, Georgia! « Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 06:23:11 PM » Author: nicksfans
Are you on Facebook? If so, we could get a group chat going with the local members.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Andy Sodium

View Gallery

Re: Greetings from north Atlanta, Georgia! « Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 06:26:43 AM » Author: Andy Sodium
I am even though I hardly use it.
nicksfans

View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: Greetings from north Atlanta, Georgia! « Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 06:47:48 PM » Author: nicksfans
Sorry about not responding sooner...I read this and then forgot to respond. The link to my Facebook is under my avatar; if you add me then I can start a chat with local members, you included.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

ace100w120v

View Gallery

Re: Greetings from north Atlanta, Georgia! « Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 10:25:02 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Welome to Lighting Gallery, ironically my name is also Andy!  LG is full of great people.  To give an example, for years I talked off and on with a member here after noticing their location was listed as Alaska.  Later, when I moved to Fairbanks, where they're also located, we got together pretty quickly and frankly they were the first local other than a classmate or instructor I said more than two words to and vice versa.  First time we ever met was "Welcome to Fairbanks!" He proceeded to even drive me all over town showing me (1) interesting light scenery, including lots of old MV, as well as just giving me a tour of the area.  We still talk all the time.
Print 
© 2005-2017 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines