Author Topic: Bulb Photos ?  (Read 1742 times)
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Bulb Photos ? « on: March 06, 2017, 06:30:41 PM » Author: Lodge
Does anyone have any simple recommendations or tips on getting nice quality photos of lamps in operation, mainly HID and Florescent lights without the orange and brown lines caused by the scanning of the CCD on the camera and the flashing of the bulb on 50/60 Hz, well short of standing ten feet back from them, which makes shooting a small arc tube in macro mode almost impossible..

Thanks 
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulb Photos ? « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 06:38:31 PM » Author: wattMaster
The orange and brown lines are actually caused by CMOS sensors, not CCD. Probably one of the best way to get good photos is to use a good camera. CCD cameras seem to be getting rarer, so to avoid the lines appearing, you'll need a CMOS camera with a mechanical shutter.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulb Photos ? « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:15:45 PM » Author: sol
A nice macro lens with appropriate neutral density filters should give a good starting point. You'll probably get better results and better macro with a DSLR. I've had good results with a Canon Rebel XTI and a Canon EF-50 fixed lens (no zoom). I've never tried photographing lit HID lamps, though. Only fluorescent.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bulb Photos ? « Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 01:33:53 AM » Author: Ash
Use a camera with real shutter (which means an actual camera and not a phone or so). Then your picture will be uniform

The lamp flickers at 100 Hz or 120 Hz. i.e. it's flash pattern length is 1/100 or 1/120 sec. For example a Halophosphor lamp with Orange-ish afterglow, the flash pattern splits between the time when the lamp lights (at approximately its normal color) and the time of the afterglow (Orange)

If your exposure is shorter than 1/100 or 1/120 sec then you will catch the lamp at a random point of the flash pattern. Take a few photos, there gotta be one which ends up in the moment where there is full discharge

If your exposure is longer then the lamp will complete a light/dark cycle in this time and will come out averaged, which is the same way we see it by eye. Longer exposures on a working lamp would mean very bright picture, so to get it back to normal, use low photosensitivity (low iso) and thin aperture pupil (high F. as the pupil size is the lens focus distance divided by F)

Vision is non linear, and the pictures you get in both ways won't come out equal. (the background brightness will be different etc). Try both ways
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Bulb Photos ? « Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 01:43:08 PM » Author: AngryHorse
My camera doesn`t pick up the lines, but my phone certainly does!, but with a phone camera, I find that if you take about 5 photos in quick succession of a lamp, one of them will have just caught the HZ flicker at the right time to not show it?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Bulb Photos ? « Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 05:20:59 PM » Author: Lodge
Thanks for the tips everyone, now I just need to figure out how to explain to the wife why I need a new camera and it should all be good from there ...
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies