Author Topic: Possible Fellow Lighting Enthusiast Near Me  (Read 1442 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Possible Fellow Lighting Enthusiast Near Me « on: September 13, 2022, 11:52:00 PM » Author: suzukir122
Ok so I've been putting this off for a while now, but something happened just now that finally convinced me that there might be a lighting enthusiast
near me. I pass the area where his house is on a daily bases. First thing I noticed was a very strong HPS Cobra head fixture on a pole right next to a
shed beside his house. A few months ago, he installed a very strong Metal Halide wall mounted fixture on his shed above the shed doors. That thing
is very, very bright, and also brand new. Every night, both the HPS Cobra head and the wall mounted MH fixture stays lit... but not tonight though.
A tree branch fell on the HPS Cobra head pole and knocked the HPS Cobra head off the pole. It's sitting there dangling. I'm guessing that power to the
HPS and wall mounted MH, as well as that entire shed, is out. (That tree branch knocked down wires as well) No light from that HPS Cobra head... no
light from the MH... the guy needed light to work on his truck during the night... so as I passed there, I saw... a HPS flood light lit up from the floor,
lighting the underneath of his truck...? That sealed the deal. I think that he (or she) could be a lighting enthusiast. I want to meet them and find
out, so badly, but... how? How do I? I can't just knock on their door at random and ask. That'd be beyond weird. I also can't just scream out from
my car or motorcycle: "ARE YOU A LIGHTING ENTHUSIAST?!" That's not much better: they'd ignore me so bad that depression would ensue.
Anyways, so yeah... I know there is that chance that it might just be coincidental, but the signs really have been stacking up one by one. If this person
really is a lighting enthusiast, I wish there were some sort of way that I could make it known that I'm a lighting enthusiast as well.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Possible Fellow Lighting Enthusiast Near Me « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 12:24:45 PM » Author: rjluna2
I don't think it would hurt to ask the person who lives there if he is a lighting enthusiast.  Give yourself a courage to approach to his home knocking at his door and ask him a question. :)

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Possible Fellow Lighting Enthusiast Near Me « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 12:38:01 PM » Author: sol
Since he occasionally works on his truck outside, you could stop by when he is there and ask him a few questions about his vehicle. That will engage the conversation and then you can sort of steer the subject towards the lights.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Possible Fellow Lighting Enthusiast Near Me « Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 01:47:44 PM » Author: suzukir122
I wish I could simply walk up there, but I don't quite fit the bill in terms of looking friendly. To put it in perspective... imagine
an unknown person who looks similar to a young version of Terry Crews, randomly walking up to your door step. Although I'm not as strong as
Mr. Crews, I am noticeably strong. It can at times seem a bit intimidating... so I've got that fear that they'd run inside to avoid me, or
yell at me to get off their property. :'-)
Although I own a good amount of vehicles, I'm not at all mechanically savvy, so I wouldn't be able to help them in terms of mechanical issues
with their truck. This is a tough one... I'd more than likely have to get directly to the point, and talk about their lighting.
I'm of course not going to specify their exact location, at all, but all I can say is that they live just down the street from me.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Possible Fellow Lighting Enthusiast Near Me « Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 03:56:13 PM » Author: sol
Well, you could go at it gradually. Start by waving casually as you go by and he's outside. Then you can get the feel of his personality and take it step by step from there.
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Possible Fellow Lighting Enthusiast Near Me « Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 06:20:58 PM » Author: Patrick
Curious, I'd have thought being a big strong guy would be a confidence booster, but I see how the concern that they'd be intimidated could itself be intimidating.  I'd be more worried about not taken being taken seriously, and dismissed as some a nerdy guy with odd hobbies.

Anyway, if you chat with them I'd agree with getting too the point quickly, but I wouldn't user the phrase "lighting enthusiast", at least not right away.  Some people might not identify as such even if they fit the bill. I'd simply inquire about the fixtures, and assuming they care to share, their answers will probably lead to an explanation.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Possible Fellow Lighting Enthusiast Near Me « Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 02:30:42 PM » Author: suzukir122
Being strong is definitely a confidence booster, especially after weightlifting at the gym, but it certainly has its drawbacks regarding
talking to people... even at work, surprisingly. Some coworkers talkback, some actually initiate conversation, (mainly long time coworkers) but
some nervously look away, mainly those whom I don't know... and it's situations like that, which reduces my confidence level in terms of
talking to someone about a major passion they may have, for something that I'm also highly passionate about.
@Patrick, I didn't really think about that, and it's true: some people may not identify, or even want to be identified, as a lighting enthusiast.
If I do manage to somehow get their attention, this is something that I will bare in mind.

... I've also thought about maybe pulling off to the side of the road, (safely, of course) leading them to believe my vehicle has broken down.
It's possible that may lure them over to me.

Interests:

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Possible Fellow Lighting Enthusiast Near Me « Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 07:03:21 PM » Author: Cole D.
Might be, might not be. I mean, I have a neighbor that has an HPS NEMA head in their yard and then they disconnected it and put up to HPS flood lights. How they got them I don't know. Another neighbor used to have a cobra head in their front yard and has an HPS post top in the back. Don't know how they ended up with those either.

So yeah, maybe they're a lighting enthusiast, maybe they worked for a utility company or place where these lights were being thrown out. It is interesting though.

Good luck finding out, I'm not sure I'd ever get the courage to just go up to somebody in their yard or knock on their door, but I guess some people are able to do those thing.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies