Author Topic: Deeper Orange on HPS light?  (Read 2278 times)
RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Ryan Korponay The Ballaster
Deeper Orange on HPS light? « on: March 30, 2017, 11:46:42 PM » Author: RyanKorponay12
i recently replamped my 70 watt HPS fixture on my garage and i have both a 150 watt HPS flood above the garage door and a 70 watt hps on the other wall of the garage, when i relamped it the colour of the
Light is Much Much more orange , both my 150 watt fixtue and 70 watt fixtue were orange but a very light orange almost white? ish and the lamp that i used to relamp is used so would that affect the colour of it,
im just curious why its so much more orange?

The Ballaster!!! *Poof*...

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Deeper Orange on HPS light? « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:27:52 AM » Author: dor123
Aging HPS lamp have usually reddish orange or reddish pink color. Sometimes they may reach pinkish white color, because not enough sodium is evaporated and mercury dominating in the discharge. During lamp life, sodium is consumed and mercury dominating in the discharge, causing the sodium line to being broadend mainly to the red and less to the green, causing the lamp to get less and less orange.
There is a lantern at Zebulun/Kiriyat Frosting at Kiryat Ata, which shifts between reddish orange and pinkish white and sometimes cycles when it is at a pinkish white color , without reaching to a reddish orange color.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Deeper Orange on HPS light? « Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:04:32 AM » Author: Lodge
How recently ? have they got a good hundred hours on them yet, and are you sure the other HPS lights are not a high CRI lamp like a Ceramalux Comfort, here is an example from Silverliner showing the difference :> http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2692&pos=3&pid=102832
RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Deeper Orange on HPS light? « Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 03:01:30 AM » Author: RyanKorponay12
okay that makes sence do you know were i can buy a high cri 70 watt hps lamp? i really dont like the intense orange its like a red LPS light almost

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Deeper Orange on HPS light? « Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 11:11:58 AM » Author: Ash
If you want it just for the different light, tweak the ballast with an ordinary lamp
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Deeper Orange on HPS light? « Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 12:38:35 PM » Author: Lumex120
okay that makes sence do you know were i can buy a high cri 70 watt hps lamp? i really dont like the intense orange its like a red LPS light almost
You could just put a cheapo 35w lamp in it and it will give a slightly whiter light with better CRI. It might go EOL sooner though.

Unofficial LG Discord

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Deeper Orange on HPS light? « Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 01:28:04 AM » Author: Lodge
Philips part number C70S62/C/M has a CRI of 60 vs a normal HPS CRI of 21 .. Expensive and hard to find, in big box stores but most good lighting supply places or amazon should have them but expect to pay about 3 to 5 times more for one over a C70S62/M ... 
RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Deeper Orange on HPS light? « Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 12:47:16 PM » Author: RyanKorponay12
Omg?!?!? I never thought a HPS light could have a cri of 60 wow and I'm looking all over for it now lol

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Deeper Orange on HPS light? « Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 01:25:26 PM » Author: dor123
HPS lamps can have higher CRI at the expense of life and efficiency. There are white HPS lamps that have 85 CRI (Philips SDW-T and Iwasaki SDX and Specialux).
Higher CRI HPS lamps, have higher sodium pressure.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Deeper Orange on HPS light? « Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 01:46:05 PM » Author: Lodge
Omg?!?!? I never thought a HPS light could have a cri of 60 wow and I'm looking all over for it now lol

Wait till you see a Mini White SON SDW-TG 100W/T6/825 they have a CRI of 83 and color temp of 2500 K so they are warm soft white color...
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Deeper Orange on HPS light? « Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 02:53:07 PM » Author: Lumex120
The problem is that the 70w white HPS costs more than an entire CMH retrofit. I would suggest just using a 35w lamp. The life will be shorter but it won't be as expensive as a designated white lamp.

Unofficial LG Discord

RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Deeper Orange on HPS light? « Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 06:37:21 PM » Author: RyanKorponay12
im amazed that hps can have such a high cri i found them online and omg there expensive $87 cad for one bulb yikes,

i have a philips c150s55/m is that anything special?

and why are white HPS so hard to find?

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Deeper Orange on HPS light? « Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 09:58:50 PM » Author: Lodge
your shopping at the wrong store, try this place 60 Archibald St, HFH restore I find HPS all the time in Edmonton restores, but anything high CRI in sodium is expensive and uncommon, they are not commonly used due to cost but if you have an existing fixture it's a quick and easy to increase the CRI without changing the existing fixture, at least with the comfort line, it used to be common in downtown areas of cities where businesses complain so they re-lamp, but now they get LED fixtures...

But it's cheaper and easier to just throw in metal halide gear if you want to get a 3000 to 4000 K coloring ( restore commonly has ballasts for like $5 to $10 in the 70 to 250 watt range and bulbs are any where from $1 to $5 and sometimes you hit the jackpot and get an entire fixture with a lamp and gear for a few bucks )   

About the lamp c150s55/m nothing special they are like $10 new wholesale, is very commonly used, they last, and work great but they are just a standard sodium lamp, are you sure it's running it on an ANSI S55 ballast, if it's very orange you might have a lower wattage ballast in the fixture, and just because the sticker has S55 on doesn't always mean someone hasn't played with it before you, with under driven HPS lamps the CRI drops and drops fast and they get very orange..
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies