Author Topic: update this site omg  (Read 13919 times)
RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Ryan Korponay The Ballaster
update this site omg « on: April 02, 2017, 08:35:06 PM » Author: RyanKorponay12
When was the last time this site was updated??? it looks like from 2005 lol,
 but seriously this site could need a update to more modern?

The Ballaster!!! *Poof*...

VPL

View Posts
View Gallery
VPL come from my name, not english accronym :)

Re: update this site omg « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 09:09:11 PM » Author: VPL
My opinion is that this site is just perfect right now. Many updates of other site's had gone wrong way.. Much scripts, difficult to use, popping up table banners, not working with mobile device users and so on...

VPL come from my name, not english accronym :)

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: update this site omg « Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 09:13:17 PM » Author: wattMaster
How about making this website look slightly more modern, but not add much else?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Ryan Korponay The Ballaster
Re: update this site omg « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 09:22:11 PM » Author: RyanKorponay12
yea dont add anything just make it less clunky ?

The Ballaster!!! *Poof*...

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: update this site omg « Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 12:49:31 AM » Author: dor123
When was the last time this site was updated??? it looks like from 2005 lol,
 but seriously this site could need a update to more modern?
The current appearance of LG is my prefered one. I don't like the web 2.0 elements in modern websites, as they consumes CPU and slowing down my computer and my Firefox, often leading to freezing. The oldest appearance from the 90's are the best. HWzone computers forum, went worser and worser, when it being upgraded from its old appearance to its modern one.
Also: Are you want that LG would be a thing like this ?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: update this site omg « Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 07:27:18 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
I'm happy with how this site is as well. "Pageless" sites like Flickr irritate me and I'm happy with how this site displays on my desktop, laptop and tablet.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: update this site omg « Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 09:11:32 AM » Author: Lumex120
The only thing I would like to see very soon is a self-updating Who's Online list like Gallery of lights has.

Unofficial LG Discord

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: update this site omg « Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 10:51:58 AM » Author: suzukir122
One thing about Lighting-Gallery I've really liked in the almost 7 years I've been on here, is the appearance.
Lighting-Gallery is just fine the way it is in my opinion.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: update this site omg « Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 01:46:00 PM » Author: Ash
I too think the scriptless, plain websites are the best. Absolute NO to data transfer from scripts (major cause of loss of typed replies in other websites), "continuous scrolling" and other "improved user experience" tactics
dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: update this site omg « Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 05:18:17 PM » Author: dischargecraze
I came to this forum because it is easy to use and it's simple design. IMO changing it would be a dealbreaker for some.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: update this site omg « Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 05:22:25 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I like it as is too.
flyoffacliff

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: update this site omg « Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 08:23:10 PM » Author: flyoffacliff
I am the IT field, and this site stands out to me as being in desperate need of an update. It's running SMF 1.1.21, causing not only outdated icons and design, but security issues too, because this version is several years old. I can help modernize if you're interested.
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: update this site omg « Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 10:33:13 PM » Author: Patrick
Unfortunately, we have reached the end of point-and-click updates for both the SMF Forum and Coppermine Gallery.  In order upgrade further, we would need to rewrite our theme and other customizations.  I've taken a look at it in the past, and it's going to take a fair amount of work, but I agree it's something we need to tackle sooner or later.

Also, I'm not much of a designer.  If you want to see significant UI changes, particularly new graphics/icons, I'll probably need to bring on somebody to assist.  We could elect to go with a minimally customized off-the-shelf theme, which would lead to a more modern but also more generic looking website.

If any of you have any specific recommendations regarding the platform or UI, feel free to make suggestions.  There's always the possibility that we could move to a completely different forum or photo gallery, and possibly even redo the theme from scratch, but keep in mind that we are going to need to be able to migrate from SMF/Coppermine, and do with as little disruption as possible.  Some updates would be beneficial, but we don't want to modernize simply for the sake of it.  We should be careful to retain the features people like and the aspects of this site which make it unique.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
LED ban in 2018 in favor of mercury vapor? « Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 11:34:04 PM » Author: Lumex120
Unfortunately, we have reached the end of point-and-click updates for both the SMF Forum and Coppermine Gallery.  In order upgrade further, we would need to rewrite our theme and other customizations.  I've taken a look at it in the past, and it's going to take a fair amount of work, but I agree it's something we need to tackle sooner or later.

Also, I'm not much of a designer.  If you want to see significant UI changes, particularly new graphics/icons, I'll probably need to bring on somebody to assist.  We could elect to go with a minimally customized off-the-shelf theme, which would lead to a more modern but also more generic looking website.

If any of you have any specific recommendations regarding the platform or UI, feel free to make suggestions.  There's always the possibility that we could move to a completely different forum or photo gallery, and possibly even redo the theme from scratch, but keep in mind that we are going to need to be able to migrate from SMF/Coppermine, and do with as little disruption as possible.  Some updates would be beneficial, but we don't want to modernize simply for the sake of it.  We should be careful to retain the features people like and the aspects of this site which make it unique.

There is another forum that I am registered on that is about the same age as LG (started in 2006) but they update it regulary to make a nice mobile site and keep the main site modern. The icons and all that are high definition (unlike the lamp icons on here which look straight out of 2005, which does make since because that is when LG started but still), the site has a lot of nice aesthetic features as well. I can PM anyone the site if they want to see (not going to post it in the open since they don't like being advertised elsewhere).since

Unofficial LG Discord

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: update this site omg « Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 05:44:17 AM » Author: Medved
If I may add my view for a major update:
Updating the engines to fix the security, maintainability and other such things is of course only a good thing to do,
but I would rather keep the "look and feel" of the site the same (well, unless it interferes with some functionality).
I really hate software updates made to just "bring new icons, rearrange menus" - then it uses to be quite frustrating to find the functionality I need...
Just my penny...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies