Author Topic: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp?  (Read 3485 times)
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « on: April 22, 2017, 08:18:39 PM » Author: mdcastle
Or should I just take it in for recycling.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 10:20:41 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
recycle.

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

lightingnut
Re: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 03:21:38 PM » Author: lightingnut
Shoot it...then recycle ;D.
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 08:26:04 PM » Author: M250R201SA
If you own a fixture that is a year or two outside of warranty expiration, use it to burn out the ignitor, then file a warranty claim, get a brand new fixture, then buy a new ignitor from eBay.  Not that I would do that, but it might be fun. 

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 08:54:31 PM » Author: Lumex120
If you own a fixture that is a year or two outside of warranty expiration, use it to burn out the ignitor, then file a warranty claim, get a brand new fixture, then buy a new ignitor from eBay.  Not that I would do that, but it might be fun. 
Thanks for the laugh.  :D I can actually see this working...

Unofficial LG Discord

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 01:29:08 AM » Author: Lodge

It'll cost you, someone has to pay for the power this process will consume, and you also have to put up with the endless cycling sodium light, and with any luck it will also last longer then the year or two you hope will cause the failure...
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 07:49:55 AM » Author: Lumex120
It'll cost you, someone has to pay for the power this process will consume, and you also have to put up with the endless cycling sodium light, and with any luck it will also last longer then the year or two you hope will cause the failure...
Eh, you could just stick it in the basement or something. If it's a low wattage like 50 or 70w it wouldn't be too big of a deal anyway.

Unofficial LG Discord

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 01:42:45 PM » Author: Lodge
Eh, you could just stick it in the basement or something. If it's a low wattage like 50 or 70w it wouldn't be too big of a deal anyway.

So lets pick on the 70 watt HPS, I'll just go with say an Advance 71A7907B ballast, which only carries a 2 year warranty, it has an input of 86 watts, which if you run it 24/7 will cost about $68 per year to run in power at $0.11 / kwh, which is more then the cost of the ballast from most online sources like say 1000bulbs..
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 02:41:17 PM » Author: Ash
Are we seriously discussing how to destroy a good HID luminaire and then get another one from the manufacturer, which we dont really deserve ?
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 03:55:40 PM » Author: Lodge
Are we seriously discussing how to destroy a good HID luminaire and then get another one from the manufacturer, which we dont really deserve ?

Yep, and I'm just showing why it's not economically feasible to do this, really it's cheaper and way less time consuming to just go and buy a new fixture.. Or hit up a local re-store, you might even find some neat things you didn't expect and most of the stuff I get from there only costs me coffee change like a complete Sylvania LU70/multi-kit new in the factory sealed box for a whole $5 CDN (so $3.70 US) and a LU35/120R for $2cdn ($1.48 USD) again new in the box that is less then a month worth of power wastage attempting to damage a good ballast and gear, all so you can test out a warranty and make it that much harder for the next person who actually has a failed fixture through no fault of there own...

I would just toss the tube in the recycle or take it to the re-store where they will sell it for like a quarter and I've seen some people build neat things from old tubes, leaving them unlit..   
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 07:19:43 PM » Author: M250R201SA
Actually I was just joking.  Wasn't meant for that to be taken seriously and I don't actually condone that.

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 02:55:16 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Me Being a somewhat destructive person, if i had the resources to waste i'd power it up then shoot it, i'd make sure to have a camera trained on it, and also make sure i was behind some sort of barrier

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 11:21:59 AM » Author: mdcastle
What might happen if I wired it up to a 4000 volt 40 ma neon sign transformer?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 12:05:13 PM » Author: Medved
Just dim low pressure mercury glow. 40mA won't cause much more...

No more selfballasted c***

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Anything fun to do with a cycling EOL HPS lamp? « Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 02:16:23 AM » Author: lights*plus
Put the cycling lamp on a lower watt ballast. Use a diffraction grating to see how far the sodium self-reversal band (589 nm) is self absorbed. If the lamp extinguishes, try an even lower watt ballast until it won't cycle for a good length of time. I assure you, you will be amused. (Well, I would)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies