Author Topic: LED lighting inside aquariums: Is it unhealthy for the fishes?  (Read 1124 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

LED lighting inside aquariums: Is it unhealthy for the fishes? « on: May 18, 2017, 02:12:14 AM » Author: dor123
I've heard from a worker in the storage of Carmel hospital, that a lot of aquariums here, are sold with LED lighting.
Is white LEDs unhealthy for the fishes like it is unhealthy for us?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED lighting inside aquariums: Is it unhealthy for the fishes? « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 06:04:07 PM » Author: Ash
Lets go one step back. Would you like to pass all your life in a diluted mix of your own piss ? No matter what the lighting ?
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: LED lighting inside aquariums: Is it unhealthy for the fishes? « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 07:09:00 PM » Author: Lodge
@ Dor123 Fish have different lighting requirements then humans, some fish can see in the infrared bands, some will even see in the UV bands, what type of fish are you thinking about getting ?

@ Ash the piss is good for the algae which is excellent at filtering out the blue light.. 
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: LED lighting inside aquariums: Is it unhealthy for the fishes? « Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 01:44:15 AM » Author: dor123
I didn't meant to a specific type of fish. I didn't know that some types of fishes, have different spectral vision than others.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: LED lighting inside aquariums: Is it unhealthy for the fishes? « Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 03:49:01 AM » Author: Lodge
Nature is interesting, this is more common in salt water fish, UV light will make to about 700 meters of water depth, and viable light is only good to about 150 meters and at 10 meters you are down to about 20% visible light so 150 is pretty much dark, fish have evolved to use what is available to them, and they also can see polarized light as well because light tends to polarize under water allowing them to find there prey easier, and freshwater fish can see better in the red and IR bands due to mud and algae filtering out the blue/green light. Fish like Salmon can actually switch between the two, and oddly enough humans have the gene to see in the IR bands as well but it is turned off, but the rumor on the internet is if you stop consuming vitamin A (A1) and start consuming only vitamin A2, you will reduce your Blue vision and gain IR vision upto 950nm (But the studies were dropped because the cost of IR scopes also dropped, and now we have Solid State non intensified BSTFA Extreme low light color FPA cameras which can see in full color at night and will out preform any IR/thermal scope, so I don't see the studies moving forward any time soon)

Most of the better LED lighting systems in high quality fish tanks don't just use white LED's they have IR, red, green, Blue, UV and white LED's, it's just like HID's made for fish tanks they can be very high color temperatures like 20,000 K, not something normally used for general lighting, but if all you have is a few gold fish I wouldn't worry about it a few white LED's will be just fine...     
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies