Author Topic: Mercury free high pressure soduim  (Read 2042 times)
Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

Mercury free high pressure soduim « on: September 03, 2017, 10:34:12 PM » Author: Keyless
Does such a critter exist? If so, how does it work and what is its light output like? 
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury free high pressure soduim « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 11:35:47 PM » Author: Medved
Yes, it does exist, principally it uses Xenon as the main buffer gas instead of Mercury.
The consequence is a need for higher ignition pulse voltage (unlike Hg, the Xe does not condense, so the cold pressure there is higher, so is the breakdown voltage).
But many lamp designs are half way between: Use Xe to allow less Hg there, but the Hg is still there...

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Mercury free high pressure soduim « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 01:21:00 AM » Author: dor123
And mercury free HPS lamps gives off much yellower light than regular HPS lamps.
Unsaturated HPS lamps contains very small amount of mercury-sodium amalgam dose, such as the Sylvania EcoArc mercury retrofit HPS lamp .

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Mercury free high pressure soduim « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 10:11:38 AM » Author: 589
I found this older article from a research project in Japan.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jlve/25/1/25_1_1_6/_article/-char/ja/

Looks like Hg free lamps also have better color consistency over their lifetime as well.

:lps:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury free high pressure soduim « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 11:25:55 AM » Author: dor123
HG free HPS lamp, retains their original color until EOL, and don't cycles at EOL, as their arc voltage is stable over life and don't rises at all.
What appears in the article, looks something like The Osram Colorstar DSX-T , which is also a white HPS lamp without mercury. But I think that HG free HPS lamps of any type (White and non white), aren't suitable for plant growth, as they have poor red and blue rendition, because of the lack of mercury. These lamps have mainly in the orange to green emission. Traditional plant grow HPS lamps, have increased mercury dose, so they have richer red and blue emission in the spectrum.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:27:48 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury free high pressure soduim « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 12:30:13 PM » Author: Ash
The Mercury indeed improves the spectrum of the HPS lamp. Even for an "ordinary" SON Plus with CRI 22 or so, the presence of the Mercury allows it to render Blue colors ratehr well
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury free high pressure soduim « Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 05:58:06 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Ive only worked with mercury free HPS lamps just once, a mass relamping of a parking garage. We actually didnt know they were HG free until they were operating as the packaging didnt mention anything about being free of HG, in fact they had the usual "HG" symbol printed on it with the "manage in accordance with disposal laws". However, the light color from these during run up and at full intensity was significantly different to standard HPS, ignition and run up took way longer and had bright xenon-white color until the sodium took over, the lamps full power color was also a decidedly different shade of yellow, like a "mustard" or "golden yellow", and not the usual orange. surprised as I was I took one home and tested with a CD spectroscope, I couldnt find any mercury lines. These were standard Westinghouse 150w E26 ED17 HPS lamps mfg in 2014, all four cases of lamps were the same mercury-free. I find now that Westinghouse has since changed manufacturers again or reverted to the standard mercury containing lamps.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury free high pressure soduim « Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 12:24:17 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Yeah, I second BlueHalide's assessment.  At my old middle/high school the gym was lit with 100w HPS fixtures (eww, indoors, I know) and they spot-relamped some out/cycling lamps with mercury free ones.  The warmup would start more red-magenta then a much more robust orange during warmup and a more saturated orange at full power. 
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury free high pressure soduim « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 04:59:45 AM » Author: dor123
Venture produces mercury free HPS lamps without marking that they are mercury free. I've seen two of these during run-up inside Thorn Alpha 2000 lanterns, at Tchernichovsky street. Here is a video of them, runs-up to full output.
The blue output of the regular HPS lamps, aren't caused directly by the mercury emission, but by molecular bands in the sodium spectrum when it is broadens, but I think it is indeed related to mercury, as the highest the mercury content, the richer the spectrum would be in the blue. Plant grow HPS lamps are richer in the blue than regular HPS lamps, and mercury free HPS lamps are poorer in blue emission, despite the blue emission isn't caused directly by the blue and the violet mercury lines.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:04:23 AM by dor123 » Logged

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Mercury free high pressure soduim « Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 08:40:54 PM » Author: 589
Since Hg free has a more stable arc voltage, I wonder what EOL is like for them.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury free high pressure soduim « Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 02:37:23 AM » Author: dor123
Mercury free HPS lamps, simply stop working or leaking at EOL, like modern mercury lamps and most metal halide lamps that don't exhibits an explosive EOL. Also, most high xenon pressure HPS lamps with mercury, also EOL like that. I only aware about Philips PIA Plus that cycles at EOL.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:39:33 AM by dor123 » Logged

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury free high pressure soduim « Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 04:01:46 AM » Author: Ash
The electrodes deplete as in any lamp, making blackening on the arc tube walls. With it the arctube will start to overheat, either untill it overheats so much that the lamp starts cycling anyway, or untill the arctube explodes or leaks

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Mercury free high pressure soduim « Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 07:58:11 AM » Author: 589
Yes that does make sense, thanks for the clarification. With cycling not being an issue for Hg free, it sounds like lamp life is more stable and potentially longer that traditional hps. It be cool to get my hands on one one of those Hg free lamps and compare it to SOX spectral wise.

Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury free high pressure soduim « Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 05:41:31 AM » Author: Keyless
Does anyone know if Sylvania or GE make them? Would love to compare light output and such. 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies