Author Topic: Lamps on steroids  (Read 18209 times)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Desk lamp, and now a room lamp on steroids « Reply #45 on: June 19, 2017, 08:59:12 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Now, you're giving me ideas...

The stem, is it ordinary black iron pipe ? How did you mount the heat lamp reflector on this ? And finally, how sturdy is it ? (shouldn't be too bad given the weight of the ballast).

the pole used to be from a similar lamp to the one pictured below, it was a cheap chinese one and the heads broke off... so i got a bit angry and finished the job  ;D , i will try to describe how i mounted the lamp as well as i can, so basically the top of the pole had a plastic end cap, i drilled hole through it and put a bolt through it, then i clamped the part of the lamp that was originally attached to a clip, to the bolt which is serving as a mounting post basically, also it is very sturdy, when i tried to knock it over it bounced back upward lmao (I did not tap it that hard though, but i'm sure it could withstand a good amount of wind)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:04:51 PM by ow346 » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Desk lamp, and now a room lamp on steroids « Reply #46 on: June 19, 2017, 09:50:22 PM » Author: sol
Oh, now it makes sense. Thanks.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Desk lamp, and now a room lamp on steroids « Reply #47 on: June 20, 2017, 08:04:59 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
it's kinda got that steampunk look only with less brass and valves..

Thanks, lol never had thought of it that way before

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Lamps on steroids (steam punk... sorta) « Reply #48 on: June 22, 2017, 12:35:12 AM » Author: Lodge
nothing wrong with steampunk stuff, just keep an eye out in the big box stores plumbing sections sometimes you can get brass parts and valves on clearance, some of the older stuff had small amounts of lead so they couldn't be used for drinking water and they went on sale for 10 cents on the dollar and they work great for steampunk stuff.. And there is a nice instructable on how to make a gate valve into a light switch and they work great, and the big box stores usually have all the parts needed, and your close to a scrap yard so you have the advantage of finding neat looking things like gears and weathered bits of steel..
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps on steroids (steam punk... sorta) « Reply #49 on: June 22, 2017, 11:02:39 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
nothing wrong with steampunk stuff, just keep an eye out in the big box stores plumbing sections sometimes you can get brass parts and valves on clearance, some of the older stuff had small amounts of lead so they couldn't be used for drinking water and they went on sale for 10 cents on the dollar and they work great for steampunk stuff.. And there is a nice instructable on how to make a gate valve into a light switch and they work great, and the big box stores usually have all the parts needed, and your close to a scrap yard so you have the advantage of finding neat looking things like gears and weathered bits of steel..

that might be my next project, making a steam punk style HID fixture.... what type of lamp should i use though? MV,MH or HPS are all i got, honestly i think this would look pretty badass if i got it right

~Owen

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps on steroids (steam punk... sorta) « Reply #50 on: June 24, 2017, 06:36:08 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I think i will just stick with the base the lamp has now, not that i dont like the idea of having a sturdy iron base for it but I dont have time, and the risk of me messing up when feeling rushed is high, (i did just try to cram the ballast and the ignitor into acouple of metal cases that used to hold outlets) found those in the scrap yard, they fit snugly but as soon as i tried to put the top half on (with the gooseneck attached) it did not close all the way, also the serviceability of that set up is very low, not saying that it wont ever happen, but certainly not anytime soon, the thing works well right now, would like to not mess it up.

EDIT although there is one thing i may change, i found a clip lamp at the yard, i quite like how stury the neck and the lamp shade are, i might replacce the current shade with that one.

~Owen

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps on steroids (steam punk... sorta) « Reply #51 on: June 25, 2017, 04:26:36 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Gave it a bit of an upgrade
the old shade and neck is currently serving to power my new red bulb
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:30:15 PM by ow346 » Logged

~Owen

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Lamps on steroids (steam punk... sorta) « Reply #52 on: June 25, 2017, 05:07:46 PM » Author: suzukir122
This is impressive. The only reason why I haven't thought about using a sodium lamp in my home is because I have
that fear that people who see the orange/yellowish light may assume it's some sort of grow operation. haha... otherwise,
I'd be using sodium lamps in my room along with my MH lamps lol

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps on steroids (steam punk... sorta) « Reply #53 on: June 25, 2017, 05:53:02 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
This is impressive. The only reason why I haven't thought about using a sodium lamp in my home is because I have
that fear that people who see the orange/yellowish light may assume it's some sort of grow operation. haha... otherwise,
I'd be using sodium lamps in my room along with my MH lamps lol
lol around here people dont really care, even the cops mind their own business

~Owen

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Lamps on steroids « Reply #54 on: June 26, 2017, 08:57:12 AM » Author: suzukir122
Down here in Ohio, people normally don't mind their own business. Using my CMH track lights and par 38 MH is already stretching it. All of the CMH track lights flash violent pink upon starting up. The par 38 flashes brilliant orange from time to time during start up... eye catching from outside of my home, most likely.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps on steroids « Reply #55 on: June 26, 2017, 04:04:32 PM » Author: Ash
I guess peeps who dont know better will just think that the lamp is burning up because it is dim and flashing in weird colors. Though if they are that bad they might call the fire department just in case....
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Lamps on steroids « Reply #56 on: June 26, 2017, 04:15:21 PM » Author: suzukir122
My thoughts exactly in terms of the fire department being called. haha... but oh well. I say, bring it on.

Interests:

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps on steroids « Reply #57 on: June 29, 2017, 09:45:48 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
So the 70W HPS bulb started to cycle today... is there any way to prolong the life of the bulb without any major modifications? (i will be buying a new bulb soon) but seems how i will need to keep this working until then im wondering if i can keep the bulb from cycling for a few days

~Owen

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps on steroids « Reply #58 on: June 30, 2017, 04:48:41 AM » Author: Ash
Underdrive it. CWA - put little smaller value capacitor. HX and Choke - Add more induxctive impedance in series

Sometimes the cause of the cycling is the ignitor and not the lamp itself. As the lamp ages and its arc voltage rises, and it might become high enough to make the ignitor fire intermittently. When the ignitor fires it shorts a capacitor to the ballast tap and at that moment creates a pulse and a voltage drop on the ballast output. The pulse does not do much on an allready working lamp, the drop makes the lamp go out like any momentary voltage drop on the line. Try to hear whether there is buzzing or clicks from the gear in the seconds before the lamp goes out. Try to disconnect the ignitor from the ballast tap after the lamp started and see whether this stops the cycling
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps on steroids « Reply #59 on: June 30, 2017, 11:54:28 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
the lamp is not conected up with a capacitor though (the capacitor was labeled optional) i have disconnected the ignitor though to see what happens

~Owen

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies