Author Topic: Are you Picky about lighting?  (Read 4532 times)
RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Ryan Korponay The Ballaster
Are you Picky about lighting? « on: June 08, 2017, 05:21:31 PM » Author: RyanKorponay12
when it comes to lighting im extreamly picky i ONLY have incandescents and some F40T12 and F20t12's Running in my house. i wont touch LED,T8,T5,Halogen and CFLs the exeption of any vintage t8,t5,CFL...ext
outside i have a 100 watt incandescent inside front running beside my front door and my garage i have a 70 watt HPS wallpack and a homemade 2X F20T12 fixture (im looking for a thorn stradalux to replace it) running oudside. In my garage i have 2x F14T12 2x F30T12 4x F40T12 8X F96T12 and a 2X F96T12/HO all CW, so im wondering if anyone elce is this picky on lighting and still use All incandecents in there home and Just T12 fixtures?

I will only touch: any t12, any incandecent, vintage CLFS, MV, MH, HPS, LPS, xenon,
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:26:06 PM by RyanKorponay12 » Logged

The Ballaster!!! *Poof*...

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 03:29:44 PM » Author: hannahs lights
My house is lit with all incandescent except the top of the stairs which is a CFL due to it being difficult to get to to change. The kitchen and my shack are lit with preheats
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 03:51:18 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I wouldn`t say `picky`, more experimental with me, since I bought my own house, (way back in 1995), I tend to use/try out every type of lighting until I find something I like, or something new comes out I fancy using, I wish I could stick with ONE thing, as I tend to over stock spares of one type of lamp, (that I pick at the time), then change to something else a few years later, stocking spares of those!
Too many lamps! ???

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 05:45:12 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I'm not really picky about lighting. I use lot's of slightly used lamps that are not collectables in my home that usually have come to me in some upgrade etc. I don't have a heart to throw away working lamps usually. I also don't mind slightly mismatched colortemps on fluorescent lamps in my home.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 11:31:36 PM » Author: Lodge
Nope I'm like AngryHorse, I'll try anything, and I have that spare lamp problem as well.. But my outside all night lighting choice is LPS, I've always liked those but I'm not allowed to use them inside the house according to the other person living there that knows where I sleep...
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 08:06:03 PM » Author: CEB1993
Yes, very much so.  I only use incandescents and halogens at my house and at work.  I'm particular about color temperature and the actual color of the light emitted by a lamp.  I like the warm glow of a lower wattage soft white or soft pink incandescent in my bedroom and I like brighter and whiter lights in the bathrooms and the kitchen.  I go for GE Reveal or Philips Natural Light for these areas.  It drives me crazy when I'm in a hotel room and the lights are all harsh and glaring CFL's or LED's.  Really not relaxing and makes me appreciate the warm glow of old fashioned incandescents which I don't think have been perfectly replicated yet.  Most LED's or CFL's I've used look yellowish green or peachy pink when compared to the golden glow of a nearby incandescent.  Some fluorescent lighting reminds me of hospitals or classrooms, the last places I want to think about when I'm at home  :) I cannot read or study by the light of CFL's or LED's as the unflattering light color and the glare strain my eyes.  I go for GE Reveals or a good old-fashioned 100 watt incandescent in this case 8) I think LED's are a great idea in cars for blinker lights or accent lighting, but I think they still have room for improvement for residential uses.  I do like LED lighting in cars since it has to be replaced less often and won't drain the battery.  My grandparents have a Lincoln MKZ that has LED accent lighting on the interior that can be changed to 8 different colors.  As a prospective lighting designer with an interest in automobiles and psychology, I understand that different kinds of light is really influential on how people feel and perform.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 08:14:12 PM » Author: suzukir122
A LOT of people would hate my livingroom (for now) because it has an 8 foot table with 7 hpf trigger start fluorescent desk lamps
on it. 4 of those lamps have daylight fluorescent tubes in them, 2 of them have cool white, and one of them has a westinghouse "white"
lamp, which is pretty dim, and close to EOL. EOL will be very swirly and mildly entertaining with orange flashing at the bad end.

My lease is up on September, and I've made the decision to move. We shall see how things go.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 03:38:41 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
i  use anything but LED, and not because i hate LED but because it is too boring for my taste... i guess you could say it is unflattering, if i had my way it'd be HID all the way... and ofcourse it'd be mostly sodium lmao

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 04:20:35 PM » Author: CEB1993
The reason LED's are boring to me is that they last for 22 years.  I think to myself, this is the last bulb I'll install until I'm 45 years old and I'm sure that would get boring, not switching up the actual bulb and introducing subtle differences in light.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 08:46:00 AM » Author: Ash
Interesting why you dont think the same when installing some other component like a light switch. They last a whole lot longer than 20 years
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 01:30:51 PM » Author: Lodge
Interesting why you dont think the same when installing some other component like a light switch. They last a whole lot longer than 20 years

Maybe he's using some of the newer switches, they won't hit the 20 year mark, I've seen some fail in under two years that is why I like spec grade switches yes they cost a little bit more but they last.. 
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 04:11:39 PM » Author: AngryHorse
The reason LED's are boring to me is that they last for 22 years.  I think to myself, this is the last bulb I'll install until I'm 45 years old and I'm sure that would get boring, not switching up the actual bulb and introducing subtle differences in light.
Fair point, but this is the view of a lighting enthusiast! ;), for Joe Public, I`m sure they would love a lamp that they can fit and forget for 20 years!
What I find interesting with LED though, is none of us have had them long enough to see what actual hours they will do yet, (yes we had quick fails with the early versions), but the latest ones are still under `real life test`, for those of us using them.

It still remains to be seen if they de the hours quoted, and if indeed at that x-amount of hours if they will have changed colour, or got dimmer?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 05:18:21 PM » Author: Ash
Good Fluorescent and HID lamps have been known to last for 10..20 years. Have any of us ever had this feeling towards Fluorescent or HID ? Or as i asked earlier towards any other electrical hardware ?

For me, when i install something of good quality, i think it is the best i can install and its good, not how old i would be when it EOLs and its bad...

Many peeps, not "lighting enthusiasts", replace things they get bored with, including lighting. But oh, then WE come and criticize them for replacing something that is still good and could work for many more years

Only i see what i see here ?
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 05:26:33 PM » Author: Lodge
Ash, while I wasn't on this site when CFL's went mainstream, there was lots of people upset about them at the time, basically every time something changes people get upset, and it will take a while for them to get accustom to it.. 
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 05:27:20 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
first time i've noticed to be honest ash..

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies