Author Topic: Are you Picky about lighting?  (Read 4449 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 05:54:56 PM » Author: Ash
Ash, while I wasn't on this site when CFL's went mainstream, there was lots of people upset about them at the time, basically every time something changes people get upset, and it will take a while for them to get accustom to it.. 

Cant talk for everyone, but to me CFLs were a great new thing from the moment i found out about them. (which for me were the big 3U stick CFLs of the late 90s and early 00s, its been only later that i found out about their predecessors like the PLE-T and SL)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 03:02:02 PM » Author: CEB1993
Now that Philips has classic glass LED bulbs that are excellent replacements for incandescents, I have more peace of mind about still being able to have the lovely, warm and golden incandescent light I've always known for the 24 years of my life. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 03:58:36 PM » Author: Rommie
Picky..? In some ways, yes. I loathe and detest LED street lighting with a passion, but I don't mind it for domestic lighting (anything if it saves me money on the electricity bill  ;D)

As for my collection, I'll have anything except CFL's and LED's, apart from the ones I use for lighting, that is..!

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 08:54:34 PM » Author: CEB1993
Picky..? In some ways, yes. I loathe and detest LED street lighting with a passion, but I don't mind it for domestic lighting (anything if it saves me money on the electricity bill  ;D)

As for my collection, I'll have anything except CFL's and LED's, apart from the ones I use for lighting, that is..!

I'm the same way.  I use LED's for general purposes in a few fixtures in the house.  I reserve my collection for incandescents and halogens which I am nostalgic for.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 12:44:06 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I think its safe to say now that I favor sodium lighting over other types, and that includes in home lighting, I light my room with them, and yes i do have incandescents aswell, but they don't really serve as much of a general lighting role as they do an accent or night lighting role, I don't mind the low colour rendering, In fact it really makes things like TV's and computer screens "pop" and it does not completely wreak havok on my night vision. my room is essentially a mix of browns and grays anyway so no need for much colour rendering. now thats not to say i don't sometimes use other light sources, like i do use a clear mercury lamp aswell on an almost regular basis, and i do like to run my 400W MH/MV lamps sometimes, but i'd say roughly 80% of the time there is some sodium lamp running in my room, whether it be the 70W, 100W or 400W theres always one running (i reserve the 1000W for outside lmao).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:46:49 AM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 08:53:17 AM » Author: CEB1993
I think its safe to say now that I favor sodium lighting over other types, and that includes in home lighting, I light my room with them, and yes i do have incandescents aswell, but they don't really serve as much of a general lighting role as they do an accent or night lighting role, I don't mind the low colour rendering, In fact it really makes things like TV's and computer screens "pop" and it does not completely wreak havok on my night vision. my room is essentially a mix of browns and grays anyway so no need for much colour rendering. now thats not to say i don't sometimes use other light sources, like i do use a clear mercury lamp aswell on an almost regular basis, and i do like to run my 400W MH/MV lamps sometimes, but i'd say roughly 80% of the time there is some sodium lamp running in my room, whether it be the 70W, 100W or 400W theres always one running (i reserve the 1000W for outside lmao).

One of these days I would like to get my own MH lamp up and running. I don't have as much experience with HID lamps, but I've heard that the light from MH has some of the best color rendering. I just need a basic ballast and a 70 watt MH bulb.

I love the pure and bright white light from my high wattage linear halogen lamps. If I could, I would use them in more places around the house since incandescents seem like candle light by comparison.  I use my T3 halogen work lamp for both light and heat.

Stop the lamp bans!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 07:13:46 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Yes, most definitely, I like seeing the most appropriate fixture used for the purpose, and that's SOX for street lights.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 01:02:12 AM » Author: Lodge
One of these days I would like to get my own MH lamp up and running. I don't have as much experience with HID lamps, but I've heard that the light from MH has some of the best color rendering. I just need a basic ballast and a 70 watt MH bulb.

I love the pure and bright white light from my high wattage linear halogen lamps. If I could, I would use them in more places around the house since incandescents seem like candle light by comparison.  I use my T3 halogen work lamp for both light and heat.

You will like MH, it's not hard to get them with a 90 plus CRI in lower wattage like 70 or 100 and they will output way more light then Halogen of the same wattage, and have about 5 times the life span, and you can get them down to 20 watts but the CRI isn't as good then..

The 175 watt MH I just got permission to put in the living room is brighter then the 300 watt halogen it replaced, it's nearest competitor was swapping the tube to 500 watt and I couldn't justify that since I'm the one who has to pay the power bill..
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: Are you Picky about lighting? « Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 07:10:14 PM » Author: Flurofan96
I am picky in the way of avoiding LED lighting and also when it comes to getting incandescents for my collection purposes I only get non China made ones suitable for my collection. I buy China made incandescents/halogen for use in the fixtures because they are nothing special. For the CFLS I tend to collect the well known branded ones because I can't stand the unbranded and supermarket branded ones

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies