Author Topic: UK Heatwave and UK LED streetlights  (Read 2903 times)
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

UK Heatwave and UK LED streetlights « on: June 20, 2017, 02:13:18 PM » Author: Flurofan96
There is a sweltering long Heatwave which started on the weekend and it is expected to last until Thursday and all of us are really feeling hot and that got me thinking about the LED streetlights. I don't think them LED streetlights especially the grey/black coloured lanterns would like it very much because the temperatures are well over 30 celsius and I've seen a failed Philips LUMA LED lantern recently on a road during evening when I came back home from London. Our US members were telling us that the heatwaves in the US has managed to ruin a majority of LED streetlighting (shows how shoddy the y are in reliability)

I guess it won't be too long if I start to see the LEDisease streetlighting around my area to go a sickly green yellowish colour or worse fail due to driver/module issues caused by heat related damage. If the LED streetlamp will fail on MY ROAD I shall report them and tell them to choose anything but LED and I'll explain how unreliable they are in warm weather (or heatwaves) and the light they give out is wishy washy

All the best
Flurofan96

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: UK Heatwave and UK LED streetlights « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 03:27:57 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
This month marks the 1 year anniversary since the installation of the Philips Road Focus 4100k LED cobra heads to replace 150 & 250 watt HPS streetlights in my community.  They've endured 105 F temps and -5 F temps thus far.  No major issues as far as reliability goes.  We have had a few poles where there are underground faults resulting in not enough juice hitting the fixtures which results in them flickering, but once the power issue was resolved they worked just fine.  These have a slight greenish hue to them believe it or not, and I think it looks great.  I am very pleased.  We'll see how they do after this year.  We're also entering a heatwave.  We'll be at 96-F 35C for a few days this week here in Colorado.  We'll get into the 100s I am sure come July.  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:31:31 PM by RyanF40T12 » Logged

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: UK Heatwave and UK LED streetlights « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:49:33 PM » Author: AngryHorse
LOL, yes tell me about this heat!, I have been on our tractor at work, moving trailers full of earth all day!, its been about 29/30 here!, we`re digging a bay out to store our dumpsters in, on our overflow car park.
Now we have been told to make it bigger! :o, so that waste oil drums can be kept there too, before their picked up for re-cycling.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: UK Heatwave and UK LED streetlights « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 05:28:10 PM » Author: Flurofan96
Angryhorse; BLIMEY! I can imagine how you have felt during your working hour on that tractor, if it gets too hot to work then you should stop honestly! I found it extremely hard to play violin today  :o

@RF40T12: OH Jeez these are probably well made LED lanterns despite how strange they look well because they are white in colour and that helps to deflect heat!

Now before the heatwave when it was cooler, a while ago I saw one of the ~5 year old Indal Stela LED lantern completely go out probs due to a driver/module fault! Wonder what will replace it? Anyhow I don't think black coloured LED lanterns are ideal for streetlighting as the heat of the sun will warm up the internals!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: UK Heatwave and UK LED streetlights « Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 05:52:40 PM » Author: Ash
It won't warm them more than they heat on their own when they are working. It will only exceed normal temperatures if the heat effects are combined i.e. when lanterns are dayburning
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: UK Heatwave and UK LED streetlights « Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 06:52:02 PM » Author: Lodge
Any one in Phoenix Arizona today, it's a warm 48 C above 119 F and only dropping to 33 C at night 91 F to see if any fail or if they just keep on working right through..
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: UK Heatwave and UK LED streetlights « Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 11:13:07 PM » Author: RyanF40T12

@RF40T12: OH Jeez these are probably well made LED lanterns despite how strange they look well because they are white in colour and that helps to deflect heat!
Now before the heatwave when it was cooler, a while ago I saw one of the ~5 year old Indal Stela LED lantern completely go out probs due to a driver/module fault! Wonder what will replace it? Anyhow I don't think black coloured LED lanterns are ideal for streetlighting as the heat of the sun will warm up the internals!

Having been able to hold one of them prior to it being installed by the utility company I can testify that Philips did a good job on the casing, it's some sort of metal/plastic hybrid composite and it is grey, I suppose they come in different colors though.  But again the true test will be how it holds up in the next 5 years or so.  Up here at 6000ft above sea level, UV damage happens.  It kills the plastic photocells after about 6-8 years, and really does a number on the fiberglass and metal poles.  

I have hope that these fixtures will hold up given that they were manufactured by a leading lighting company like Philips.  I would feel the same way about GE manufactured LED streetlights. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:15:23 PM by RyanF40T12 » Logged

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: UK Heatwave and UK LED streetlights « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 02:32:48 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Where I live in Australia during summer we see many days over 40 degrees C, and I've yet to see any LED fixture fail from it.
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: UK Heatwave and UK LED streetlights « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 05:21:04 AM » Author: Flurofan96
I guess our UK fixtures (most of them with a grey/black design) would NOT like the 40 celsius heat. However whilst the drivers may have withstood the sweltering Australian heat, lumen loss may not be so far as you may see some LED fixtures going green. And even in the UK I've seen several LED lights going a greenish yellow colour especially in the SHELL petrol stations

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: UK Heatwave and UK LED streetlights « Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 11:42:30 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
I guess our UK fixtures (most of them with a grey/black design) would NOT like the 40 celsius heat. However whilst the drivers may have withstood the sweltering Australian heat, lumen loss may not be so far as you may see some LED fixtures going green. And even in the UK I've seen several LED lights going a greenish yellow colour especially in the SHELL petrol stations

Ha we have that same problem at the shell stations here in the USA that went to LED. 

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: UK Heatwave and UK LED streetlights « Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 11:58:04 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Also randomly I thought about solar eclipses like last summer for North America in August. It can be a perfectly sunny very hot afternoon then suddenly the sun gets blocked and the LEDs all come on like its nightime which they can be on for about as long as it is dark, this combo of hot day and running could do some harm

I don't think it's going to be a regular occurrence though.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies