Author Topic: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ?  (Read 5100 times)
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « on: June 22, 2017, 09:46:47 PM » Author: sol
I have acquired some 35/39W CMH lamps, some in 4000K and some in 3000K. I've noticed the Philips 4000K have an indication on the box to use only with electronic ballasts. The 3000K do not have that mention. Now, I have some GE 4000K that do not mention anything about ballast type. I've always used electronic ballasts, but I'm tempted in obtaining a magnetic ballast for a new MH project. I would probably like some 4000K lamp, but what harm would there be in using the Philips ones ?

I have some Philips 4000K in higher wattages, one of which came with a magnetically ballasted 100W flood light, and no problems.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:06:12 PM » Author: funkybulb
I have use magnetic ballast with out any problems
Philip just telling ya that to use there products

How ever magnetic ballast is rare as hen tooth

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 10:10:40 PM » Author: sol
OK, thanks. I might just give it a try and see what it does. I do know the 20W needs an electronic ballast as the arc tube needs thermal control which is impossible with magnetic.

Maybe the 'electronic gear only' is there to extend the life of the lamp ?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 01:41:45 AM » Author: dor123
The "electronic gear only' is to convince you to buy the more expensive Philips/Advance electronic ballast in order to generate revenue for Philips. 35W CMH lamps can operate with magnetic ballasts without any problem.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 03:53:23 AM » Author: Ash
The Electronic most likely will extend lamp life, for some lamps significantly and for some not. The small lamps usually benefit the most from Electronic. 35W is borderline size, as all MH lamps have different designs some 35W lamps may be more affected than others

If this is going to do significant hours or you are doing this for somebody, follow the lamp specs recommendations

If the lamp does not require Electronic, it may still have significantly better life on Electronic, but the gear itself is more reliable when it is Magnetic. So the choice is between something that would ideally last very long but may be randomly killed by a surge, or something that may not last as long and will most likely start flickering at 60Hz for a while before EOL, but won't have surprises

If you do this for yourself, do whatever you want, but you might get a surprise in lamp life

What i dont get is, why most MH lamps which are rated for Magnetic dont specify the energy (not voltge) of the ignitor required. HID ignitors ith same voltage but of different types have different energy level, and i'd guess that may have a lot of effect on electrode sputtering, especially in a hot restrike
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 05:26:14 AM » Author: sol
I'd be doing this for myself, and it won't be running for very long hours, only about 3-6 hours daily, and probably not every day although quite often. If I find the parts I'm looking for, I might just try it and see...

As for the ignitor, could it be possible to find a "smart" ignitor that will not attempt a hot restrike until a timer has elapsed ?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 06:14:21 AM » Author: dor123
I know about several anti-cycle ignitors, that have timer to delay the ignition cycles (All of them for use with european chokes, and I don't think they are suitable for the american gears):
Eltam ES-PI 1000 (Eltam Ein Hashofet, Israel)(Semi-parallel): ignites for 3-5 secs, wait for a min. Gives up after 4 cycles : http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-112145
Europhane/Sabir ignitor (France)(Semi-parallel): Don't attempt to restrike the lamp until after several tens of seconds (Varies betweeen individual ignitors): http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-92378
Tridonic ignitor (Superimposed): Don't attempt to restrike the lamp until after between 10 secs to 2 mins: http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-106802
Helvar intelligent ignitor (Superimposed): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcYWvP0uKX8
Vossloh-Schwabe ignitor (Superimposed): http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-117016
Most european electronic ballasts for HID lamps (Eltam, Osram, Tridonic, Bag Turgi, etc...), have timers that delays their ignition attempts during hot restrike as well.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 09:40:28 AM » Author: Lumex120
I have a magnetic 35w ballast (in a landscape enclosure) that runs "electronic only" Philips lamps I found at Restore just fine.

Unofficial LG Discord

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 03:10:59 PM » Author: sol
I have a magnetic 35w ballast (in a landscape enclosure) that runs "electronic only" Philips lamps I found at Restore just fine.

How long has it been running ?
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 05:30:38 PM » Author: Ash
It isnt only about the ignitor being "smart" or not. If talking about Eltam ignitors as example, ES50 have draconic impulse energy - It is rated to strike lamps at the top of a post when all the gear including the ignitor are at the base. The PI1000 (smart) is quite high too. The ES250 (not smart ignitor) is fairly low. Most VS Z250/Z400 are low and many of them are smart too
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 05:34:44 PM » Author: Lumex120
How long has it been running ?
I have been using it since November last year when I found 3 of them at Restore. It probably has about 3000 hours on it by now. I just use it as indirect lighting in my room.

Unofficial LG Discord

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 06:53:41 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I have been using it since November last year when I found 3 of them at Restore. It probably has about 3000 hours on it by now. I just use it as indirect lighting in my room.
LOL i do something similar with a 175W MV lamp, i just have the ballast with the socket and everything sitting on my shelf
the foil is just so it does not heat the wall.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 07:47:23 PM » Author: sol

Would you happen to have a picture of your setup ? I couldn't find any in your gallery.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 08:55:24 PM » Author: Lumex120
Would you happen to have a picture of your setup ? I couldn't find any in your gallery.
I can soon, my camera is charging since the battery is dead.

Unofficial LG Discord

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: 35/39w CDM : magnetic or electronic ? « Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 10:28:18 PM » Author: nicksfans
I was thinking they stopped, but it looks like 1000Bulbs still has reasonably cheap 39W M130 magnetic PSMH ballasts here. Yeah they're Sola but do you really wanna pay $130 for an Advance?

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies