Author Topic: LPS or HPS flashlight?  (Read 16953 times)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #60 on: July 23, 2017, 12:51:38 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
i could use the other rotor... unless is it needed? or did i only need one? also i like your idea

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #61 on: July 23, 2017, 01:02:26 AM » Author: Lodge
You only need one, keep the smoothest one, and yes if your parents get some help and they find out this crazy idea your trying works they will let you experiment further.. 
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #62 on: July 23, 2017, 01:11:47 AM » Author: Lodge
Making old rusty things new is not the same as filling the house with smelly smoke from an exploding capacitor in there eyes, really..
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #63 on: July 23, 2017, 10:08:12 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
do i need distilled water or can i just use the normal tap water?

nevermind, looked around the web and found no mention of using distilled water so i'll just use tap, also if this does work, i'm sure my parents have plenty of things for me to clean lol

another thing though, could i use 24 or 28 volts instead? thats one of the few transformers i got capable of delivering a few amps, also got the smaller red one there which pushed 16.5V i dont know the amps on it, but it is pretty strong aswell
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:59:24 AM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #64 on: July 23, 2017, 11:04:18 AM » Author: Lodge
Just good old tap water will work fine. About the washing soda just add a tablespoon / gallon of water is good.Even if goes real rusty you can keep using it,it will last for weeks but when if it starts to grow furry mould on the top of it then it's time to replace it with clean water, And watch the power supply if its getting really warm give the two metal pieces a bit more separation even if they are a foot apart it will still work it just takes a bit longer, I normally keep mine about inch pr twp apart and I hang them suspended in the water with wires tied to a 2x4 laying across the top of a bucket and the piece I'm cleaning, and I leave the large piece of scrap plate steel just laying in the bottom of the bucket and I use a 12 volt 2 amp power supply someone threw out for a D-Link Router, nothing fancy. Oh and the rust will stain the bucket so try and use an old bucket like an old 5 gallon paint bucket again nothing fancy..

If your using this don't try to clean anything stainless or copper it's not good and stainless steel can create a toxic product in the water called 6 hexavalent chromium (for more info on this see https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/59305/production-of-hexavalent-chromium-during-electrolysis-using-a-stainless-steel-as ) so only use it for cleaning things made of iron, like saw blades, chisels, cast iron cookware, auto parts etc..   
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #65 on: July 23, 2017, 11:07:36 AM » Author: Lodge
higher voltages will work, but if you go higher you need to give the two pieces more space between them in the water so maybe go a few inches apart and watch the current so you don't over load the power supply, I normally go lower like 12 volts it safer and I find it does a better job it just take a bit longer..
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #66 on: July 23, 2017, 11:27:32 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
the mere mention of hooking up a powersource to something in water triggered the "absolutely not" response from my mother lol, and i tried to get her to read your post but shes stubborn so.... what do i just go for the polishing method now?

to be honest i think the only thing she heard out of all i said was "power" and "water"

and i might add.... i waited til she was not busy with anything to ask... lmao, to be honest i was not expecting either of them to say yes to that... maybe my father, but only if he read what you posted, and that would still just be a "maybe" my father is a firefighter and ever since hes gotten that job hes kinda badly judged anything i do, and my mother is the same way
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:34:29 AM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #67 on: July 23, 2017, 11:38:02 AM » Author: Lodge
You can use a 6 volt lantern battery or even a lead acid car battery or a couple of D size batteries.. here is nice write up from the cast iron collectors web site, complete with videos http://www.castironcollector.com/electrolysis.php let her have a look and it even made it on Seriouseats http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/how-to-restore-vintage-cast-iron-cookware.html and they even show you how to season cast iron cookware as well.. Cast iron is awesome to cook with, and you can turn a $1 garage sale special into a much more valuable ebay sale if your good and grab the vintage stuff stuff like Griswald is worth big money to collector some often sell for more then a $100, it's actually not a bad hobby and usually wife or girlfriend friendly as well...

Really it's not that dangerous, and if your using a plugged in power supply make sure it's plugged in a GFCI outlet and unplug it every time before you put your hands in the water,even though 12 volts if generally considered safe, it would make your parents feel better and remember to dry your hands before handling a plug..   
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #68 on: July 23, 2017, 11:40:04 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
You can use a 6 volt lantern battery or even a lead acid car battery or a couple of D size batteries.. here is nice write up from the cast iron collectors web site, complete with videos http://www.castironcollector.com/electrolysis.php let her have a look and it even made it on Seriouseats http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/how-to-restore-vintage-cast-iron-cookware.html and they even show you how to season cast iron cookware as well.. Cast iron is awesome to cook with, and you can turn a $1 garage sale special into a much more valuable ebay sale if your good and grab the vintage stuff stuff like Griswald is worth big money to collector some often sell for more then a $100, it's actually not a bad hobby and usually wife or girlfriend friendly as well...

Really it's not that dangerous, and if your using a plugged in power supply make sure it's plugged in a GFCI outlet and unplug it every time before you put your hands in the water,even though 12 volts if generally considered safe, it would make your parents feel better and remember to dry your hands before handling a plug..   
Alright...
I will keep that in mind... although i may have to wait a while because i dont think asking them right after they say no is the best idea.... that'd probably just solidify their answer.... i'll wait a couple weeks, also still need to find an engine

~Owen

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #69 on: July 24, 2017, 09:16:46 PM » Author: Lodge
Alright...
I will keep that in mind... although i may have to wait a while because i dont think asking them right after they say no is the best idea.... that'd probably just solidify their answer.... i'll wait a couple weeks, also still need to find an engine

Sounds like a good plan, now go and find some rusty old tools and put them in the draws that are commonly used in the tool box so they are in the way all the time, and the more rusty the better, and if your mom has a rusty old cast iron pan make sure you leave it in the way as well, nothing like subliminal messaging, don't do it to the point of driving them nuts but just enough so they notice it, then when you ask them, that pan or tool that has been in the way all week, might be enough to trigger a yes response just so it goes away or at least looks better and they will do this without knowing what you have done all week long if your good..
d3anio97

View Posts
View Gallery

Enginerding bright things since 2011

ATL TheSOXMania
Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #70 on: April 07, 2018, 12:22:05 PM » Author: d3anio97
I would recommend doing a high pressure sodium one using a CDM ballast and an inverter. To do a SOX version you'd want to have a gimbal system to stop the lamp being burned base down.

What if I told you you could save 100% of your street lighting budget? Don't believe me? Buy an LED street light and run it for a week. the results will leave you in awe. (Aaaaaaand maybe wondering why you swapped that 70w SON)

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #71 on: April 07, 2018, 10:08:52 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I would recommend doing a high pressure sodium one using a CDM ballast and an inverter. To do a SOX version you'd want to have a gimbal system to stop the lamp being burned base down.
Eventually I still hope to do such a thing... right now I do not have the resources.. I might end up going with a 35W lamp, just to bring the weight of the project down.

~Owen

d3anio97

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL TheSOXMania
Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #72 on: April 08, 2018, 04:13:22 PM » Author: d3anio97
WOuld it be possible to make an LPS or an HPS flashlight? I currently only have a dream to go by (no schematics or anything) bu would it be possible to make a practical sodium flashlight?  i know HID flashlights exist but im talking like powering a 35w HPS or a 18W LPS bulb in something that can be somewhat portable (kinda like one of those utility flashlights).

i've actually been wanting to do this since i was 3 or four (first time i started noticing the different lamp types) but i do not know where to start
I have an idea and it pertains to those low voltage car ballasts that you can get on eBay... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Universal-Digital-35W-Slim-HID-Replacement-Light-Ballast-Xenon-Conversion-uk/162933756884?epid=8016170797&hash=item25ef9bd3d4:g:bx4AAOSw2fRan6fx

You should be able to run a pair of 35w OSRAM powerballs or something similar on these an all you'd need is a couple deconstructed laptop batteries to make up the capacity for a good couple hour's operation. with regards to that battery system I would recommend doing an unprotected system with voltage alarms and get a balancing charger such as this one to charge and balance the cells with:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eachine-WT50-6A-50W-AC-DC-Balance-Charger-Discharger-For-LiPo-NiCd-PB-Batteries/122806905100?hash=item1c97dca90c:g:uX8AAOSwv-ZaCXUx

I have the same exact charger and use it for a 60w LED porta-flood I built and it's a great little charger.

What if I told you you could save 100% of your street lighting budget? Don't believe me? Buy an LED street light and run it for a week. the results will leave you in awe. (Aaaaaaand maybe wondering why you swapped that 70w SON)

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #73 on: April 08, 2018, 08:45:47 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I have an idea and it pertains to those low voltage car ballasts that you can get on eBay... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Universal-Digital-35W-Slim-HID-Replacement-Light-Ballast-Xenon-Conversion-uk/162933756884?epid=8016170797&hash=item25ef9bd3d4:g:bx4AAOSw2fRan6fx

You should be able to run a pair of 35w OSRAM powerballs or something similar on these an all you'd need is a couple deconstructed laptop batteries to make up the capacity for a good couple hour's operation. with regards to that battery system I would recommend doing an unprotected system with voltage alarms and get a balancing charger such as this one to charge and balance the cells with:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eachine-WT50-6A-50W-AC-DC-Balance-Charger-Discharger-For-LiPo-NiCd-PB-Batteries/122806905100?hash=item1c97dca90c:g:uX8AAOSwv-ZaCXUx

I have the same exact charger and use it for a 60w LED porta-flood I built and it's a great little charger.

You've re-rekindled my interest once more... I am curious as to what type of connector goes in that slot at the top of those ballasts... is it just an ordinary automotive connector??

~Owen

d3anio97

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL TheSOXMania
Re: LPS or HPS flashlight? « Reply #74 on: April 18, 2018, 12:28:01 AM » Author: d3anio97
Update on your idea... you inspired me to embark on a side project; a dual 35w porta-flood with CDM lamps. Cool thing about the project I'm planning here is that it runs entirely on automotive HID ballasts and SHOULD support SON lamps with a super fast restrike time due to the low operating pressure. My early tests with these ballasts struck a hot 35w CDM lamp in under 40 seconds. SON should be good for a 5 - 10 second restrike time.

The downside here though is the ignition pulse is VERY aggressive so there's a chance it could shorten lamp life. I'll have to research it more as I go along. I'll also document the build in my gallery.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies