Author Topic: Rant forum needed?  (Read 346 times)
xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Rant forum needed? « on: July 13, 2017, 07:19:23 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Since threads (with rare exception) should never be deleted... I think there should be a new forum section created - maybe called "The FirePit" - basically a place where threads such as rants&raves / flame-wars / etc about what junk LEDs are or threads that stray into political territory are moved to.  (Or such (off-topic) sections of threads are split off & placed there instead of deleted.)
It would also give users a place to vent their thoughts about 'bad' lighting technology.

I've seen something like this done on another (not lighting related) forum that I'm a member of. (they ofcourse fad a different name for their rant/junk thread section) And its a good way to handle such things.

-------------
Oh and *unrelated* but that -bleeping- word CENSOR thing NEEDS TO GO for the entire site. This is the internet not broadcast Radio/TV. Censorship has no place on the net, and its ruining the site Sad

Colored Fluorescent's such as F40T12 Red or  Green or Blue are awesome...

Lodge

View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Rant forum needed? « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 02:04:49 AM » Author: Lodge
The word censor, I haven't had any issues with it, well not yet anyhow, but I can see the point of the word censor we actually have several minor's using the site and it keeps it family friendly, plus some users like Menofgod, who has to get access through the Great Firewall of China, or users who have filtered internet at work both have an easier time accessing this site because the firewalls don't pick up words commonly associated with other adult sites because the word censor here has already dealt with them, and I know there is several users that visit this site from work, so I would say keep it work safe, but yes if the filter is picking up common terms and filtering them when you think it shouldn't maybe you should ask the mods to address this and explain your rational but I don't see them allowing a few select four letter words..

And I'm on the fence about the rant forum, I've been on some other sites and they end up being the wall of shame, but some sites they are productive giving users a place to rant and blow off steam and keeping the other forums clean and friendly..   
RCM442
Administrator

View Gallery

rcm442 rcm442 rcm442
Re: Rant forum needed? « Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:00:19 PM » Author: RCM442
Will talk with Patrick about this one, maybe just make it so it's invisible to guests. But not sure, last rant forum I've seen got deleted because a lot of users got upset!

Linear fluorescent will never lose to LED!
I am not Anti-LED, as I have some in use at my house.
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

Lodge

View Gallery

Re: Rant forum needed? « Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 09:22:39 PM » Author: Lodge
Will talk with Patrick about this one, maybe just make it so it's invisible to guests. But not sure, last rant forum I've seen got deleted because a lot of users got upset!

Do you have the ability to conduct a poll, maybe ask some of the users to vote on it, and let them have there say as well and maybe give them a few simple rules for the forum before implementing it like, no personal attacks (which for the most part I don't think you'll get much of) but tell them to feel free to attack the technology, and it's not Reddit so if the topic is a better fit for Reddit go and post it on Reddit, I don't mind some politics but I don't want to see non-stop politics on a lighting site which only seems to attract paid posters and there endless cut and paste scripted comments.. 
Lumex120

View Gallery

175w mercury vapor

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Rant forum needed? « Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 08:28:33 AM » Author: Lumex120
Since threads (with rare exception) should never be deleted... I think there should be a new forum section created - maybe called "The FirePit" - basically a place where threads such as rants&raves / flame-wars / etc about what junk LEDs are or threads that stray into political territory are moved to.  (Or such (off-topic) sections of threads are split off & placed there instead of deleted.)
It would also give users a place to vent their thoughts about 'bad' lighting technology.

I've seen something like this done on another (not lighting related) forum that I'm a member of. (they ofcourse fad a different name for their rant/junk thread section) And its a good way to handle such things.

-------------
Oh and *unrelated* but that -bleeping- word CENSOR thing NEEDS TO GO for the entire site. This is the internet not broadcast Radio/TV. Censorship has no place on the net, and its ruining the site Sad
I like the idea of the rant forum, as long as there is no trash-talking of other members. I have some things to say about the hideous GE evolves that are replacing everything around here, but if I posted them in another forum I would probably get trash-talked by LED lovers or something. Also, how is the language filter ruining the site? Instead of removing it completely, why not make it so that it can be turned on and off? That way if there are younger members with strict parents who constantly monitor them they can still look at the site without swear words.

LEDs = Downgrade 85% of the applications.

xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Rant forum needed? « Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 10:36:35 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: RCM442
maybe just make it so it's invisible to guests. But not sure,
Quote from: Lodge
a few simple rules for the forum before implementing it like, no personal attacks
Quote from: Lumex120
as long as there is no trash-talking of other members

Yep invisible to guests...and also 'bot' users(if possible) so it doesn't even show on google/etc.
No personal attacks/trash-talking other members would be the most important part - that is what I would consider the 'rare exception' where posts should indeed be deleted (and possibly the offending member being placed in "time-out" for a few days)

Quote from: Lodge
I don't mind some politics but I don't want to see non-stop politics on a lighting site 
Same here, I was mainly thinking some politics - mainly stuff where atleast somewhat its related to lighting/electricity.
Not just "president xxx sucks, but president yyy is even worse" (in addition it might be to politics, it'd probably be good to also say no 'general' trash-talking of other countries)

If such a forum/section was made, I just wouldn't want it to become a nightmare for the admins/mods.

---------------
Quote from: Lumex120
how is the language filter ruining the site? Instead of removing it completely, why not make it so that it can be turned on and off?
Its ruining it because censoring of words sucks (personal opinion there ofcourse). Its like listening to songs that have been censored Angry I'd rather not even hear that particular song than a censored version...
An option for individual users to 'off' it would be good (that I have seen done on other forums.)

Colored Fluorescent's such as F40T12 Red or  Green or Blue are awesome...

Lodge

View Gallery

Re: Rant forum needed? « Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 03:47:42 PM » Author: Lodge
I would be cool with the no trash talking of other countries as well, for the most part it's not the countries fault some multinational corporation has chosen to make the cheapest light they can in that country, it's solely the corporations fault they have chosen to make trash products in that country, all the country is looking at is jobs for there citizens and the addition to there tax base, honestly if they are getting paid to make the products and that puts food on there table it's not really the countries fault, because if the corporation wanted high quality goods I'm sure the country would also deliver those as well..
TL8W

View Gallery

Lee

None
Re: Rant forum needed? « Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 06:14:32 PM » Author: TL8W
Good point, Lodge

Tolerance respect and fairness = peace and harmony. The opposite also applies.

Print 
© 2005-2017 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines