Author Topic: EYE mercury Vapour lamps vs NOS lamps  (Read 1437 times)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
EYE mercury Vapour lamps vs NOS lamps « on: July 16, 2017, 02:52:11 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
which ones are better? is the modern day EYE mercury lamp comparable to the older mercuries made back in their heyday?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EYE mercury Vapour lamps vs NOS lamps « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 12:47:14 AM » Author: BlueHalide
The older mercury lamps that seemingly lasted forever like the original "lifeguard" lamps had something done to them in order to achieve such incredibly long life, note that these lamps lasted as much as 3-4x longer than their 24,000h rating, while still emitting acceptable light levels well beyond the 24,000h mark. These lamps that ive removed from service over the years always have three things in common, a white (not blackened) arctube, a very skinny and elongate arctube, and electrodes nearly twice the size of modern lamps. 

The EYE lamps don't include any of the aforementioned features, they are simply just the highest quality produced today, their arctubes still blacken like all other modern lamps, however the EYE lamps will actually last the 24,000 hours unlike the chinese lamps. EYE mercury lamps I have installed in the past produce acceptable amount of light for about 7-8 years burning dusk to dawn (roughly 28,000 hours), after that they get very very dim.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: EYE mercury Vapour lamps vs NOS lamps « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 02:38:13 AM » Author: dor123
I expects that EYE would still use the anti-blackening emitter in their lamps that turns the arctube white instead of black, like the Lifeguard. Lamps that uses the usual thorium emitter, tends to blacken very fast and so degrades in output very fast.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: EYE mercury Vapour lamps vs NOS lamps « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:29:45 AM » Author: Lumex120
The older mercury lamps that seemingly lasted forever like the original "lifeguard" lamps had something done to them in order to achieve such incredibly long life, note that these lamps lasted as much as 3-4x longer than their 24,000h rating, while still emitting acceptable light levels well beyond the 24,000h mark. These lamps that ive removed from service over the years always have three things in common, a white (not blackened) arctube, a very skinny and elongate arctube, and electrodes nearly twice the size of modern lamps. 

The EYE lamps don't include any of the aforementioned features, they are simply just the highest quality produced today, their arctubes still blacken like all other modern lamps, however the EYE lamps will actually last the 24,000 hours unlike the chinese lamps. EYE mercury lamps I have installed in the past produce acceptable amount of light for about 7-8 years burning dusk to dawn (roughly 28,000 hours), after that they get very very dim.
I noticed that the arctube in my Philips Lifeguard has a very thin, long arctube. It has almost no whitening on it but it is dimmer than a normal 175w clear lamp.

Unofficial LG Discord

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EYE mercury Vapour lamps vs NOS lamps « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 11:12:17 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Every EYE mercury lamp ive removed had a blackened (not white) arc tube, I dont think any lamp maker uses that chemical that turns the arctube white anymore, I cant say ive seen it on any modern lamps.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: EYE mercury Vapour lamps vs NOS lamps « Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 05:52:36 AM » Author: dor123
Actually GE invented the emitter that turns the arctube white, and that used in the Westinghouse Lifeguard MV lamps, with their Bonus Line MV lamps: http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Spec%20Sheets/D%20MB%20GE%20BonusLine%20175.htm
Osram in Europe, also used this emitter that the Westingehouse Lifeguard MV lamps used, in their HQA and later in their HQL MV lamps: http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Spec%20Sheets/D%20MB%20Osram%20HQA125.htm

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies