Author Topic: Driverless LED chips, yes really!  (Read 566 times)
xelareverse

View Gallery

OVM

xelareverse UCjohSkrTwJJJzpc_r8D3vKw xelareverse
Driverless LED chips, yes really! « on: July 16, 2017, 05:42:41 PM » Author: xelareverse
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232388397873

LED Toobs minus Too equals LED bs

Potato

dor123

View Gallery
My other loves are computers and office equipment

Re: Driverless LED chips, yes really! « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 07:50:03 AM » Author: dor123
This looks like scam. There is no such a thing "Full spectrum" in lighting, and it is impossible to create a LED chip with a built in driver. Also, I think that this is simply a phosphor pink COB LED and nothing else.

I"m don't speak english well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I hope that LED won't replace all forms of other lighting.

wattMaster

View Gallery

Re: Driverless LED chips, yes really! « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 08:11:44 AM » Author: wattMaster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKd2L9Exw0M

My website: streetlights.info
Where are bucket lights when you need them?

Lodge

View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Driverless LED chips, yes really! « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 04:46:50 PM » Author: Lodge
This looks like scam. There is no such a thing "Full spectrum" in lighting, and it is impossible to create a LED chip with a built in driver. Also, I think that this is simply a phosphor pink COB LED and nothing else.

It's full spectrum if your a plant, plants only need red (660nm) and blue (400 to 500nm) light for the most part in about a 90% red to 10% blue ratio so they will light up pink in color, but it really depends what you are growing, some plants also need green light, nature is interesting..

About the driver, the COB chip ceramic board is larger then the COB so all they have done is add the driver circuits on the board, it's not that hard, while I think using a remote unit is better because you get better cooling, from a manufacturing point of view it reduces component count, labor and design..

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:51:00 PM by Lodge » Logged
xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Driverless LED chips, yes really! « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:05:01 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Interesting, and not all that expensive...actually somewhat tempting to try a couple.

I wonder if a summer day (90+ F) in my bedroom would fry it? :lol:

Colored Fluorescent's such as F40T12 Red or  Green or Blue are awesome...

xelareverse

View Gallery

OVM

xelareverse UCjohSkrTwJJJzpc_r8D3vKw xelareverse
Re: Driverless LED chips, yes really! « Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 12:01:30 AM » Author: xelareverse
If i like this one, im getting more and making a 1kw led fixture

LED Toobs minus Too equals LED bs

Potato

xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Driverless LED chips, yes really! « Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 07:08:09 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: xelareverse
If i like this one, im getting more and making a 1kw led fixture
Post what you think of it once you've got it & tested.
I'm also curious as to how hot they get...I'm assuming ever for the 20w you'll still need a fairly decent heatsink?

Lodge

View Gallery

Re: Driverless LED chips, yes really! « Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 07:15:09 PM » Author: Lodge
Just think old computers and grab the heat sinks on the processor, sometimes you even get lucky and find the solid copper heat sinks, they can sink a hundred watts or more without getting to warm, and if your going 1kW, I'm assuming it's something that will be used outdoor so the noise of a few muffin fans won't be noticed... 
Ash

View Gallery

Re: Driverless LED chips, yes really! « Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 02:13:14 PM » Author: Ash
Full size CPU coolers (whats used with 95W TDP CPUs) sink 95W at ~dt40..50 with the fan on at max speed

I have not seen any single LED device over 200W on ebay yet.... For the more common devices the 100W COB is the highest rated one. And if you want it to last dont power it at 100W, though for a portable flashlight i guess you could because it does not do many hours

For 1KW out of 100W COBs just an array of COBs on individual cpu coolers would do

For 1KW in less space... I think go liquid cooled. If it is anything like a highbay thing (so hanging in one position) Something like an Aluminum pot with the COBs attached on bottom and filled with Water could do, then you either run it for short time while the water sinks the heat, or pump the water through a bigger external radiator. If it is for any burning position then something like water based CPU/GPU cooling system is the way
FGS

View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Driverless LED chips, yes really! « Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 03:50:28 PM » Author: FGS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222569687994

They go up to 500w. Even I don't believe it can safely handle 500w. Mebbe 300w but given it's eBay... Good for experimenting and such. LOL!

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Ash

View Gallery

Re: Driverless LED chips, yes really! « Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 04:29:01 PM » Author: Ash
Some while back i bought one of the "100W" IR 940nm COBs (not self contained driver, just COB with diode array). I want to swap the COB in a standard COB floodlight (i have an EOLED one laying around), hopefully the driver can handle a lower voltage array (or i'll add a string of ordinary diodes in series)

As we may know, the stnadard 100W COB is 10x10 array of Blue LEDs running at about 300mA 3.3V each, for an overall 3A 33V for the entire COB. Now here is the funny part. The IR LEDs are 1.5V so the same array is rated about 3A 15V. The thing is still rated "3A 15V 100W"
Lodge

View Gallery

Re: Driverless LED chips, yes really! « Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 04:41:33 PM » Author: Lodge
Some while back i bought one of the "100W" IR 940nm COBs (not self contained driver, just COB with diode array). I want to swap the COB in a standard COB floodlight (i have an EOLED one laying around), hopefully the driver can handle a lower voltage array (or i'll add a string of ordinary diodes in series)

As we may know, the stnadard 100W COB is 10x10 array of Blue LEDs running at about 300mA 3.3V each, for an overall 3A 33V for the entire COB. Now here is the funny part. The IR LEDs are 1.5V so the same array is rated about 3A 15V. The thing is still rated "3A 15V 100W"

Let me know how this works out I was thinking about doing this with a 940nm array for use with a security camera but have never gotten around to it yet, and I don't think the voltage will be an issue since most LED supplies are constant current anyhow..
xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: Driverless LED chips, yes really! « Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 05:08:09 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Lodge
Just think old computers and grab the heat sinks on the processor,
I've got a couple of those laying around Smiley also have a nice big heatsink I snagged out of a dead stereo amp before junking the unit.

Quote from: Ash
or the more common devices the 100W COB is the highest rated one. And if you want it to last dont power it at 100W
Say I got the 20w version in xelareverse's link: how would I do that? just put 2 in series so they're running @ half power? Or maybe put 1 on a dimmer since the listing says dimmable?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:09:40 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

Lodge

View Gallery

Re: Driverless LED chips, yes really! « Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 05:16:44 PM » Author: Lodge
I've got a couple of those laying around Smiley also have a nice big heatsink I snagged out of a dead stereo amp before junking the unit.

Say I got the 20w version in xelareverse's link: how would I do that? just put 2 in series so they're running @ half power? Or maybe put 1 on a dimmer since the listing says dimmable?

Both should work, but the stereo one should be fan-less larger and quieter. About using two of them in series I don't know if the driver circuit on them will take kindly to that, I would just use a dimmer switch or even a diode in series with them to get them to operate at half power..
Ash

View Gallery

Re: Driverless LED chips, yes really! « Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 12:12:35 AM » Author: Ash
Same situation here - Got it for experimenting with a security camera, have not gotten around to do anything with it...

Ideally i'd get 2 of them and run them in series off the White LED driver. But the IR COBs are expensive, and the floodlight i want to hack is only made for 1 COB..

The driver derives the supply voltage for the control chip (on the HV side) from another secondary on the transformer (isolated from the "main" secondary). The power there is stabilized according to the "main" secondary, not the chip supply. The chip gotta do with what is there - typically designed so the transformer can do more and the chip vcc is clamped with a Zener. There must be some minimum load on the output in order to keep up the chip supply at all. If the output is underloaded, the chip supply will drop and it'll have to restart through the slow charging from the HV DC, This will make the LED flash

If this happens i will add a string of 8A rectifier bridges in series (convenient for this application as they have ~1V drop in each + mounting hole + can handle the current)

Actually those self ballasted ones probably can be dimmed only with a dimmer. The ballasting in them is done by a selector switch that connects more or less LEDs in series, i dont think it ould like being connected in series with another one as they wull fight each other over how the voltage divides between them
Print 
© 2005-2017 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines