Author Topic: Creating a secondary ranking system..  (Read 1018 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Gallery

MercuryVapor1 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226
Creating a secondary ranking system.. « on: August 02, 2017, 06:24:12 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
So I've noticed that there is many members who are older, and only really post in the gallery, are still ranked as newbies, the current ranking system only seems to focus on forum posts, while leaving posts in the gallery (comments, image posting) out of the picture.

I am proposing a new ranking system that could go along side the original, this could help distinguish between who is actually new and who is just a gallery poster (aside from the join date) and also give the gallery only posters a bit of their own rank to wear as a badge, giving them credit for their images they have shared.

I'm thinking possibly using the circline icon for it, since this is the one that would cause the least confusion (and still fit into the profile layout without sticking out like a sore thumb like many of the other icons would in the [more] section)

1)Circline Fluorescent  Default (starting badge (much like the singular incandescent lamp new users posses)      
 2)Circline Fluorescent Circline Fluorescent 10 or 20 images uploaded
 3)Circline Fluorescent Circline Fluorescent Circline Fluorescent 40 images uploaded
 4)Circline Fluorescent Circline Fluorescent Circline Fluorescent Circline Fluorescent 100 images uploaded
 5)Circline Fluorescent Circline Fluorescent Circline Fluorescent Circline Fluorescent Circline Fluorescent 200+ images uploaded

1) Newbie
2) amateur Photographer
3) Jr. Photographer
4) Sr. Photographer
5) Veteran Photographer

This could be a ranking for Comments only, images posted & comments or just images posted

when this idea came to mind i was thinking for example:
 Incandescent Lamp Incandescent Lamp Incandescent Lamp Incandescent Lamp Incandescent Lamp            {forum rank}
 Circline Fluorescent Circline Fluorescent Circline Fluorescent Circline Fluorescent Circline Fluorescent       {gallery rank}  

this is just an idea to give some of the older image posters a bit more credit... it may or may not be a dumb idea or a pain in the bum to code but i figured i'd post my idea since its been kindof burning for quite some time
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:39:42 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

--Owen
 Low Pressure SodiumHigh Pressure Sodium I'm Probably one of the craziest people you would see... and my room is a reflection of that, welcome to the world of Frankenstein setups and jimmy rigging! High Pressure Sodium

rjluna2

View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Creating a secondary ranking system.. « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 05:08:28 AM » Author: rjluna2
Sounds like a good idea, Owen Smiley

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Mercurylamps

View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Creating a secondary ranking system.. « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 05:11:01 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Yep I agree, I like the idea. Cool
HomeBrewLamps

View Gallery

Re: Creating a secondary ranking system.. « Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 02:25:26 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Thanks!

--Owen
 Low Pressure SodiumHigh Pressure Sodium I'm Probably one of the craziest people you would see... and my room is a reflection of that, welcome to the world of Frankenstein setups and jimmy rigging! High Pressure Sodium

Lodge

View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Creating a secondary ranking system.. « Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 06:58:30 PM » Author: Lodge
I like this idea to, if it's not to much coding for the mods.. 
RCM442
Administrator

View Gallery

rcm442 rcm442 rcm442
Re: Creating a secondary ranking system.. « Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 03:01:10 PM » Author: RCM442
Will look into it.

Linear fluorescent will never lose to LED!
I am not Anti-LED, as I have some in use at my house.
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

merc

View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: Creating a secondary ranking system.. « Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 04:07:56 PM » Author: merc
Hi Owen,
thanks for your post but I don't really think it's a good idea, sorry.

If you click HomeBrewLamps in the forum post or in the gallery comment (the topmost line above the avatar), you can see the member's profile with the Date registered: item. (You have to be signed in, of course.)

Every few months a kid registers to LG and immediately wants to become a Hero member. They reply one/two words to every random forum post, maybe even without really reading it - don't know - to promote their rank.
With a secondary ranking system, these kids (I don't blame them! - it has probably something to do with age) will upload the allowed daily maximum of pictures (my table lamp form the left, from the right, top, bottom, and the same while turned on...) to become a "veteran photographer" very soon and the upload quality will decrease.

The member's rank here is irrelevant, IMO. The site is not so huge so you know those a few tens of experienced and active members.

Hiding the current ranking system completely could be an option.
Or, making it more sophisticated, based on forum posts, gallery uploads, gallery comments, months since registration, last active date etc., using a formula to calculate the rank.

That's my $0.02. Smiley

Not a misoLEDist...

HomeBrewLamps

View Gallery

Re: Creating a secondary ranking system.. « Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 06:36:17 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I did not take that into account to be honest, yeah i see your point, i actually quite like the idea of making the current one more sophisticated making it cover more than just forum posts

although i would like to point something out in your response, the thing about having to click the name to get to it, that was mentioned in my proposal when i said "aside from the join date" i was hinting at the whole profile page thing, yes it is not too complicated to click on someones account, but most people wont do that.. like i dont really go around clicking on peoples accounts seeing how long they've been around, its a waste of time, the people who do not post in the actual forum often have newbie ranks still even though they've put up many pictures, which is what i was primarily focused on, creating a secondary ranking system, or even improving the one we have currently would give them a bit more credit, also the moderators have the whole multiple angles of the same device covered i believe,  a while back i saw them get somebody for posting multiple pictures of a certain light. so im pretty sure they'd catch if somebody were trying to stat pad their way to the top
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:44:29 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

--Owen

Mercurylamps

View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Creating a secondary ranking system.. « Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 08:43:27 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
Yep exactly, every few months a kid will register and try and attain the top status or treat this page like Facebook. I do know that the admins have reduced the daily maximum uploads for some members in the past.
Print 
© 2005-2017 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines