Author Topic: WHy do people hate ALTO bulbs?  (Read 1686 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
WHy do people hate ALTO bulbs? « on: August 03, 2017, 06:14:28 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
So i have an american made alto bulb... and i've heard alot of people talking badly about them.... whats wrong with them?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: WHy do people hate ALTO bulbs? « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 06:46:00 PM » Author: Lodge
They don't last long..
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WHy do people hate ALTO bulbs? « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 03:51:47 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Based on what I've heard here during all these years especially some types of Alto lamps are especially prone to short life. I ofcourse have no first hand experience since they don't sell them here but I've always liked the coloured encaps.

I have few F20T12 cw Altos in my collection and one of those I used up suffered broken cathode eol only after few years but I don't know if it was bad luck or poor quality.

I've been thinking to get some reduced wattage altos to test those out on GE electronic rapid start ballast but I would have to figure out where to source those in the first place.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WHy do people hate ALTO bulbs? « Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 04:59:38 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
They have very weak filaments and poor lamp life.  The first gen Altos were very good though. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WHy do people hate ALTO bulbs? « Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:02:00 AM » Author: sol
Not all Alto lamps are bad, it depends on the batch and the factory location. At my place of work, in my room there are 16 fixtures of 2 lamps and all are Alto except one lone GE that is original to the fixtures. They were spot-replaced starting in about 2009, and only one has failed since then. They have developed a slightly yellow tint, though. Makes the room look like the diffusers have yellowed a bit although not the case. On dark days, the lighting is certainly not of a good colour (makes the room kind of drab).

On the other hand, I have a daylight F15T8 that is also Alto, but made in Holland. That one has been running on a switch start circuit 24/7 since July 2011. That is more than 52 000 hours.
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: WHy do people hate ALTO bulbs? « Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 10:34:00 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Interesting..... Wonder how long the one i got will last, i dont use it regularly, bt maybe i will mount my fixture as a worklight or something when i move out

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: WHy do people hate ALTO bulbs? « Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 12:38:19 PM » Author: Lodge
Interesting..... Wonder how long the one i got will last, i dont use it regularly, bt maybe i will mount my fixture as a worklight or something when i move out

For home use they are not bad, but commercial use where they are on for 18 to 24 hours a day they don't seem to last as long,and yes the older ones did last a good bit longer..
mbulb146

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WHy do people hate ALTO bulbs? « Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 09:53:01 PM » Author: mbulb146
F96T12 60W Altos are pretty much worthless.  They dimly striate and flicker even on a hot summer day.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: WHy do people hate ALTO bulbs? « Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 11:10:30 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Some Alto's are just fine, and can easily last 10+ years of daily use (hell I've seen them outlast ballasts)
Others are crap and go mercury starved way before they actually EOL...this is what really gives Alto's a bad image .lol.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WHy do people hate ALTO bulbs? « Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 11:15:16 AM » Author: sol
Conclusion : it depends on the batch. That makes the quality of Alto lamps unpredictable.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies