Author Topic: Emergency lighting on new LED streetlights  (Read 6406 times)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Emergency lighting on new LED streetlights « Reply #30 on: August 13, 2017, 02:56:10 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
They won't notice the $0.33 you added to it, but if you did it 24/7 they would notice the $82 a month they will use, (if your power is 11 cents / Kwh )  

lol i was scared that i was like spening hundreds of bucks an hour just to run the thing... guess not... luckily, i really have no idea of electricity prices since i dont pay the bills...yet... i just try not to take too much electricity too often
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:01:13 AM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Emergency lighting on new LED streetlights « Reply #31 on: August 13, 2017, 04:26:42 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
I think the conversation from liability question is going on currently since some early robot cars are allready been tested.

But otherwise the biggest cause of traffict accidents is human error, be it either driving under the influence, doing something else while driving or driving while tired etc. One might be a good driver but that not necessarily help if drunk driver smahes on you car in intersection. If robot cars become common, they could revolutionized whole personal transpotation, but there is still lot do be done before thst. Smart cars with additional helping features comes first.

I feel when it comes to driving that I'm confident in my abilities, and have been taught to expect the unexpected on the roads. Unfortunately with driverless cars I'm going to feel rather anxious with the thought of a computer doing the driving and I probably won't get rid of that feeling.

lol i was scared that i was like spening hundreds of bucks an hour just to run the thing... guess not... luckily, i really have no idea of electricity prices since i dont pay the bills...yet... i just try not to take too much electricity too often

Once in a while should be okay. Everything in moderation. ;)
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Emergency lighting on new LED streetlights « Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 06:02:41 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann

For a fire to start something in the appliance or in the wiring must be done very unsafely. This is not a smart appliance issue

For a flood to start there must be some serious failure of the appliance, the drain pipe pulled out and so on. The flood by failure can be prevented by an extra sensor. The drain pipe pulled out - That's your business to connect it securely..

While i'm fine with my decades old machines as well, i can see somebody needing a smart appliance, but at the same time it have to be trustable, secure, and as reliable/servicable as possible (even if it cannot match the reliability of a stupid appliance). Or even me, but then i will just connect my existing appliance through a contactor controlled by a computer
There must be some sort of interlock implemented and it can not be software based. That would mean extra components and extra cost compared to software implementation. Otherwise, if someone hacked for example a washing machine and altered software so that the machine would star taking water in and ignore all the sensor info that would usually stop water intake. That meant it would cause a flood. And since extra costs are something manufacturers usually try to avoid I'm affraid cheapest solutions will be used. The interlock would have to be made so that the what ever the computer controlling the machine would do, it could not do any harm to itself or it's surroundings. Yes, thats possible, but not the cheapest way and that is whay concerns me.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Emergency lighting on new LED streetlights « Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 02:49:51 PM » Author: Lodge
I can see the news headlines when someone does hack these lights "Round Rock's Texas Size Red Light District" or "Red light district Texas size"  Another potential draw back about this system is the criminals will exploit the transmitter in the police car to get an early warning and by the sounds of it they will get there exact location thanks to the use of GPS so you know when they are coming what speed they are traveling at and how many of them are about to show up, so they can leave before there arrival, and this would take nothing more then a raspberry PI an SDR and cellular transmitter just hidden beside the light, and organized criminals are already using ISMI catchers so something like this would not be out of there capabilities...
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Emergency lighting on new LED streetlights « Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 03:08:49 PM » Author: Ash
Switch off the transmitter, whats the problem ?
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Emergency lighting on new LED streetlights « Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 03:29:50 PM » Author: Lodge
Switch off the transmitter, whats the problem ?

The pretty lights don't flash red and white when it's turned off..
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Emergency lighting on new LED streetlights « Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 07:16:12 PM » Author: FGS
I can see the news headlines when someone does hack these lights "Round Rock's Texas Size Red Light District" or "Red light district Texas size"  Another potential draw back about this system is the criminals will exploit the transmitter in the police car to get an early warning and by the sounds of it they will get there exact location thanks to the use of GPS so you know when they are coming what speed they are traveling at and how many of them are about to show up, so they can leave before there arrival, and this would take nothing more then a raspberry PI an SDR and cellular transmitter just hidden beside the light, and organized criminals are already using ISMI catchers so something like this would not be out of there capabilities...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_signal_preemption
They could be using line of sight transmitters. Basically glorified remote controls for your TV.

Or acoustic. Receivers hear the sirens and start flashing. Dunno how well it works since the siren noises travels EVERYWHERE.

Or just pick up the police's radio signals in the cop cars.

Or all three for accuracy and reliability.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:18:14 PM by FGS » Logged

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Emergency lighting on new LED streetlights « Reply #37 on: August 13, 2017, 08:39:36 PM » Author: Ash
When the police are out to catch burglars in a shop at night, they won't switch on the lights/siren on the car either before they enter the shop, so to not provide an advanced warning that they are approaching. Same goes for using/not using this system according to the task on hand

Fire and ICU normally dont have to surprise anyone and they use the system as well
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies