Author Topic: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures  (Read 10526 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 12:19:35 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Wouldn't call it 'extreme' weather, but I got this pic of a little thunderstorm off in the distance when I was camping last weekend

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 08:37:30 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Awesome photo. I love how the sky looks threatening before a storm approaches. 8)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 11:28:39 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Thanks, and yep me too on seeing threatening - stormy sky.
This one was at the point where the sun had set, but it was still sorta-light out, and it lit up the cloud really nicely :)

------
Thinking of extreme weather, check out this Florida webcam:
http://www.windjammerresort.com/webcam.html (if that doesn't work, try the direct link )

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 05:10:32 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'm sure the peeps from Florida will have tales to tell soon

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 05:35:07 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Yeah but it saddens me that there are tons of good lighting stuff going to waste as the storm rages around.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 08:16:26 PM » Author: CEB1993
Tropical Storm Irma has made for a long rainy and windy day here in upstate South Carolina.  My work closed early today due to the weather and a gable on the front of my house began leaking onto the couch today :o  I moved the couch and put down a towel to catch the water.  The wind hasn't been as bad as I expected, maybe maxing out at 40 mph gusts.  The wind driven rain made the gable on my house leak and the back driver side door of my car leak when I was driving today.  It's cold too!  I didn't think I would start drinking hot chocolate in September  :D  It was 58 degrees most of the day today.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 10:23:01 PM » Author: CEB1993
Here's what Hurricane Irma did to my house. After a long day of gusty wind and nonstop rain, the roof over bay window in the front of the house developed a leak. The water caused the delicate drywall to peel away.  The couch below was wet and I had to lay out a towel to catch the leaking raindrops. At least the nearby recessed spotlights didn't get damaged by the rain  :)

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 11:59:38 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I guess you'll be in for a little bit of drywall work...and roof work too this weekend.
Neither of which is fun :lol: that doesn't look too bad though.

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 06:34:47 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Here's what Hurricane Irma did to my house. After a long day of gusty wind and nonstop rain, the roof over bay window in the front of the house developed a leak. The water caused the delicate drywall to peel away.  The couch below was wet and I had to lay out a towel to catch the leaking raindrops. At least the nearby recessed spotlights didn't get damaged by the rain  :)

Wow, glad you are okay CEB. :o
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 03:29:33 PM » Author: CEB1993

Wow, glad you are okay CEB. :o

Thanks!  Other than this, there was not much other damage.  One small tree that we tried to cut down up at the lake house got blown down by the wind, so that was one less thing for the landscapers to do  :D

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 12:46:45 PM » Author: CEB1993
Last Sunday, October 8th there was a tornado near Tryon, NC that touched down right next to the lake where my family's lake house is :o  The damage on the road around the lake was shocking!  Tons of trees were down, our house was without power for two days, roads were blocked with debris, and an entire dock was destroyed by the violent waters on the lake.  Thankfully there were no fatalities or injuries reported.  Thank goodness I wasn't there and my parents went home from the lake house about an hour before the tornado struck.  Damage at our place was limited, and the house survived unharmed.  The picture below is of the house down the road from me where a large tree was blown over.  It would have been catastrophic if any trees fell on our house while my family and I were inside, since its in a wooded area and its a 1 story house with a basement.

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #26 on: October 14, 2017, 05:41:25 AM » Author: suzukir122
Glad you're okay CEB and glad there were also no hurricane or tornado victims and everyone is alright.
It's a GREAT thing hurricane Irma was not even close to being a Category 5 as it passed you. Had it been
a Category 5... well, your home more than likely wouldn't be there. You also may not have survived it. So it's
great it only passed you as a tropical depression.
And then also, same thing goes with your family and that tornado. Had that been an F4 or F5 mile wide tornado,
the lake house would've been gone and there would've been casualties. Sounds to me like it may have been an F1 or F2?
Regardless, two bullets dodged in 2 months. Glad you/everyone else are ok.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 10:55:41 AM » Author: CEB1993
Glad you're okay CEB and glad there were also no hurricane or tornado victims and everyone is alright.
It's a GREAT thing hurricane Irma was not even close to being a Category 5 as it passed you. Had it been
a Category 5... well, your home more than likely wouldn't be there. You also may not have survived it. So it's
great it only passed you as a tropical depression.
And then also, same thing goes with your family and that tornado. Had that been an F4 or F5 mile wide tornado,
the lake house would've been gone and there would've been casualties. Sounds to me like it may have been an F1 or F2?
Regardless, two bullets dodged in 2 months. Glad you/everyone else are ok.

Thank you Suzukir122!  We're all doing good right now and consider ourselves really lucky to have survived the effects of two hurricanes with minimal damage.  As it turns out, the remains of hurricane Nate produced a tornado that first touched down in the lake right outside our house, and then touched down a second time in Tryon, NC about two miles away.  I'm guessing it was a F2 tornado based on the damage.  Mostly trees blown down, damaged power lines, and road blockages.  An entire dock was destroyed on the lake, which makes me think it was strong enough to be an F2 tornado. 

Stop the lamp bans!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #28 on: October 15, 2017, 12:31:32 PM » Author: suzukir122
An entire dock being destroyed definitely sounds like F2 damage to me too.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Extreme Weather Stories, Videos, or Pictures « Reply #29 on: October 23, 2017, 02:37:10 PM » Author: CEB1993
We're hosed! :o

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies