Author Topic: Strange phenomenon with my LED emergency lantern  (Read 2031 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Strange phenomenon with my LED emergency lantern « on: August 17, 2017, 05:30:47 AM » Author: dor123
My LED emergency lantern and my PL-S 9W preheat/switchstart fixture, are connected to a triple socket case with a shared electrical line.
When I turning on/off my PL-S 9W preheat/switchstart fixture, the LEDs inside my LED emergency lantern flashing like in this video: http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-136590

Why this is happening?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Strange phenomenon with my LED emergency lantern « Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 06:38:49 AM » Author: Ash
There is interference. For one, it might be through the power line or through the air. More likely through the power line as i cant see what in the LED lantern would be so sensitive to EMI, but if it is powered by a capacitor/zener divider, it will be quite sensitive to power line glitches

Why that happens ? Try with some other load in the same receptacle (something resistive like GLS lamp) and see...

The speaker cable is blatantly unsuitable for 230V, but this is not the cause of the flashing
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Strange phenomenon with my LED emergency lantern « Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:32:45 AM » Author: dor123
The only GLS lamp in my hostel, is a rare Tadiran GLS lamp from my mother home , which its filament have part of it moving (Resonating), so it isn't suitable.
I did a further tests with my plasma ball: http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-136662

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Strange phenomenon with my LED emergency lantern « Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 05:20:02 PM » Author: Ash
I expect this will also happen when you plug/unplug the plasma ball's adapter when it is not plugged into the plasma ball. Just the inrush from the charging of the capacitor making a disturbance on the line

But the PL-S is not supposed to have any inrush current..

Do you have any other small resistive load (with less significant inrush) to test with ?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Strange phenomenon with my LED emergency lantern « Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 01:55:12 AM » Author: dor123
I connected the emergency lantern to the socket line with the 6 sockets, where my UPS, my power strip, my table lamp and my nightlight connected, and put my Tadiran GLS lamp in my table lamp, and switched it on/off: Nothing happened.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Strange phenomenon with my LED emergency lantern « Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 08:53:27 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
nothing happend? as in nothing turned on? or nothing changed? or the LED stopped acting up?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Strange phenomenon with my LED emergency lantern « Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 03:09:29 PM » Author: Ash
The Tadiran GLS is a rare thing. Please find another testing resistor....

In the 6 receptacle strip are plugged some devices e.g. computer, UPS, etc which comntain a line filter, with X capacitor across Phase/Neutral. This capacitor could short out the interference. Try with only the LED lamp and test load plugged in, without all the computer and UPs stuff
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies