Author Topic: Reflectors  (Read 1297 times)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Reflectors « on: September 25, 2017, 09:58:59 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
So, I've noticed that different reflectors put out light a bit differently, like for instance the weird "mirrored" one makes a large ring of light with a dark center, while the one on my 70w HPS flood has an intense center and medium brightness everywhere else, my 1000W hps evenly distributes light, and the one on my MV room light, (atleast before i jammed an oversized bulb in it) gave out fairly even light spread... what is the science behind this? I'm betting its not too complicated but i cant really figure it out.

also I've noticed that in some flashlights, non- "mirrored" reflectors can also give a ring while other reflectors seeming to be the exact same shape are giving intense spots, does it have something to do with the bulb type?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:05:45 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Reflectors « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:00:12 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
heres the other two, files are too large for a single post  ::)

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Reflectors « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 02:46:54 PM » Author: Ash
It all comes down to - Angle of incidence equal to angle of reflection. If you have a mirrored reflector, a laser pointer, and can fill up a room with steam (bathroom with hot water), go experiment

Sometimes the difference is not as much the reflector itself, but subtle differences in the alignment of the lamp vs the reflector (arc tube further in / out)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Reflectors « Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 11:21:49 PM » Author: CEB1993
I'm interested in getting a half pipe reflector for my Philips IODE lamp. Are half pipes designed for downward or outward light distribution?  I would want one that acts more as a flood that a spot to maximize the light from the lamp.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Reflectors « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 02:09:36 PM » Author: Ash
Spots are made by Parabolic reflectors. All other shapes create some sort of wider illuminated area. Matt surface finish of the reflector will hide detail in the spot which appear with a mirrored reflector
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Reflectors « Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 09:05:51 PM » Author: CEB1993
Some recessed ceiling floodlights have a black inner can to reduce glare.  Others use a white or ivory inner can to maximize light output.  I've noticed that the black cans are not seen as often these days.  My grandparents' house built in the early 1990's has black can lights and our old beach house built in the early 1980's has them too.  I personally like the look of the black cans better. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Reflectors « Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 10:22:29 PM » Author: Ash
The Black stepped edge cans are great. So are deep mirrored reflectors. In the latter, the outer areas of the reflector are responsible for light going straight down, so from the wide angle from which the luminaire is viewed, they reflect the dark room so still appear Black
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies