Author Topic: Stop LED Streetlights  (Read 17105 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop LED Streetlights « on: August 30, 2017, 01:21:29 PM » Author: wattMaster
I want to make a website to help stop LED streetlighting, but I need a little help. Does anybody have any suggestions that will improve this project?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:26:00 PM by wattMaster » Logged

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Stop LED Streetlights « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 01:29:29 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Don't want to sound rude but sounds like a fight against windmills. What are planning to archive with this site and how?

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Stop LED Streetlights « Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 03:59:50 PM » Author: RCM442
Trying to stop them really is pointless. There is nothing we can do about it. This thread really is kind of pointless.

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Stop LED Streetlights « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 04:00:04 PM » Author: FGS
Fighting against LED streetlights is like trying to drain the Atlantic Ocean with a 5 gallon bucket that has a hole in the bottom of it.

That's pretty much the truth of it. Hate them or love them. They're here to stay. Until someone invents something better than LEDs that is. I had that reality (along with quite a few other members on here) with HPS back in 2008~. They were gonna stay whether I wanted them or not. Until LED streetlights arrived.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Stop LED Streetlights « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 04:02:57 PM » Author: wattMaster
Maybe it'll work at a local level?

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Stop LED Streetlights « Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 04:08:47 PM » Author: RCM442
Maybe it'll work at a local level?

You can't really control the utility company and what they do...it's up to the state. It won't work. I can 100% guarantee it won't work.

Administrator #4

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Stop LED Streetlights « Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 04:18:26 PM » Author: wattMaster
Doesn't mean I can't try.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Stop LED Streetlights « Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 04:19:47 PM » Author: RCM442
Doesn't mean I can't try.
Well, you can but it's just a waste of time

Administrator #4

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Stop LED Streetlights « Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 06:07:00 PM » Author: Ash
Somebody allready invented something better than LEDs. This happened before LEDs came out and the better thing is named HID

However, the LED replacements arent about something being better, but about something being deemed better universally by many peeps and companies, part of which benefit from this, the other part being just ill informed. About that you can only reason so much.... Not really much at all

If you want to try the local level, the place to try with more potential success is i think the private level and not the utility company level

And by that i mean be involved in lighting choices of people you know. If the lighting installed (you can help install it too) works great, and the lighting indeed looks and feels better than the neighbor's LEDs, the word will spread. If it also happens to outlast the neighbor's "non servicable" LED luminaire and he happens to tell about it, the word will very much spread

The private peoples dont have LED sales personnel knocking on their doors as much as the utility company (the utility DOES have them), and they dont have a beancounter which can be tricked into ordering the "lower costs" stuff while the actual performance is not in his corners

The private peoples do get the LED sales personnel when they come to the lighting store, but 1. They get the sales personnel only when they come there, 2. If they know what they are getting and are competent, odds are they will make an informed choice. (most of the users coming there aren't though, thats how most of the LEDs for the private peoples are selling). An informed choice may be LED or not, but it will be informed and thats what matters
Keyless

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Stop LED Streetlights « Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 09:00:13 PM » Author: Keyless
There is one major draw back of LEDs that some are taking seriously enough to want them restricted: light pollution. You could filter out the mostly orange from HPS- harder to do with LED. Might be worth trying with astronomers.     
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Stop LED Streetlights « Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 09:36:37 PM » Author: Lodge
There is one major draw back of LEDs that some are taking seriously enough to want them restricted: light pollution. You could filter out the mostly orange from HPS- harder to do with LED. Might be worth trying with astronomers.     

While it's a great idea, and I don't really want to be the wet blanket, but this how the manufactures will deal with this issue and they did it in 2012 in Hawaii, http://bigislandnow.com/2012/08/28/shift-to-high-tech-streetlights-saves-dark-skies-money/

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Stop LED Streetlights « Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 09:44:01 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
While it's a great idea, and I don't really want to be the wet blanket, but this how the manufactures will deal with this issue and they did it in 2012 in Hawaii, http://bigislandnow.com/2012/08/28/shift-to-high-tech-streetlights-saves-dark-skies-money/

eh well there goes SOX, oh well cant do anything about it.  :(

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Stop LED Streetlights « Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 09:51:35 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Honestly at this point I'm just accepting thefact that i cant change anything and moving on... as much as i can say LPS is more energy efficient than LED or that mercury can last longer than LED, that Incandescent can render colours better than LED, That neon just looks generally better than LED, theres always many things working against those arguments that i see no points in continuing, plus companies are pulling shady moves in shooting down these technologies anyway.... actually Neon is making a comeback but other than that, yeah So at this point my general statement is As long as they don't try to take MY stuff I'm fine, but as soon as the government tries to take MY lighting, it is game on, and not because it is lighting, but because that is a violation of my rights ... atleast where I'm from

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Stop LED Streetlights « Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 12:08:07 AM » Author: FGS
Honestly at this point I'm just accepting thefact that i cant change anything and moving on... as much as i can say LPS is more energy efficient than LED or that mercury can last longer than LED, that Incandescent can render colours better than LED, That neon just looks generally better than LED, theres always many things working against those arguments that i see no points in continuing, plus companies are pulling shady moves in shooting down these technologies anyway.... actually Neon is making a comeback but other than that, yeah So at this point my general statement is As long as they don't try to take MY stuff I'm fine, but as soon as the government tries to take MY lighting, it is game on, and not because it is lighting, but because that is a violation of my rights ... atleast where I'm from

I doubt the government is gonna do that. Though these days the odds of that happening is well... *ahem* ...shouldn't talk about politics but I'm wary until Feb 2020. I wont say anymore of this. Against the rules and all that. Sorry for breaking it for a tiny bit. ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:11:18 AM by FGS » Logged

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Stop LED Streetlights « Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 11:18:13 AM » Author: Lumex120
While doing something like this would probably not get anywhere, there are a few good points you could use:
-LED streetlighting is NOT better for the enviroment no matter how you look at it. First of all, they require much more energy to manufacture than a simple HPS light. After that, they have a wide variety of chemicals in them that can't all be recycled easily, and when a fixture goes EOL you have to replace the entire thing rather than changing a lamp or ignitor
-They can cause vision damage long-term in the same way that staring at a phone screen will.

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies