Author Topic: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA  (Read 4520 times)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « on: September 01, 2017, 10:16:07 PM » Author: Silverliner
Here's the article:

http://wjactv.com/news/local/transition-to-led-light-bulbs-creates-secures-jobs-in-elk-county

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 10:37:02 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
"Ledvance has been producing Sylvania light bulbs for 110 years."

Is that true? 

Also- what does this mean for Wal-Mart?  I thought they were mostly exclusive towards GE. 

Lastly-  I wonder what type of warranty will be present with them. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 03:09:37 PM » Author: Silverliner
The 110 year thing. That factory was originally NILCO, which merged into Hygrade Sylvania in the 1930s.

Walmart sells GE but has Sylvania make the Great Value bulbs.

They have a 3 year warranty.

Electrician.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 12:13:57 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
great value.. in other words bottom of the barrow no long life. 

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 12:49:24 AM » Author: Lodge
The 110 year thing. That factory was originally NILCO, which merged into Hygrade Sylvania in the 1930s.

Walmart sells GE but has Sylvania make the Great Value bulbs.

They have a 3 year warranty.

All the GE stuff is going on clearance, and that happened to other brands like Feit, Lights of America, and few others and about a year later they where gone from the shelves for good, So GE might be headed that direction...   
DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 07:15:53 PM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
Awesome. If they show up locally in a 3,500K to 4,000K color, I'll probably try them in my outside lights. (I don't use LEDs for indoor lighting at home.)

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 12:54:07 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Lol I barely use any "normal" lighting types for indoor lighting, other than a few incandescent used for accent lighting all my stuff is HID ... and mostly HPS at that... I hope they make red ones, I would like to avoid burning through all of my GE incandescents  in one of my "accent lights" also by red I don't mean red diodes, I mean red glass, red diodes too harsh  40w equivalent red Led would be nice.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 03:20:14 PM » Author: CEB1993
I'm excited!  I'm eager to see how Sylvania does it's American-made LED's, if they use the same A19 glass envelopes as before and if the soft white coating is the same.  If that's the case, I will be buying lots of them and enjoying the classic appearance and light quality from what appears to be the best LED bulbs yet!

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 05:33:45 PM » Author: Silverliner
Not ideal as they got plastic collars and a PS shape, though they say the glass is USA made. However they have the familar Sylvania stem press and soft white coating.

Electrician.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 05:35:06 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Those LED filament sylvania bulbs have made their way to many stores where I am, I even saw them offered at my local Food Basics Grocery store in their little home utility isle

Administrator #5

RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Ryan Korponay The Ballaster
Re: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 01:03:23 AM » Author: RyanKorponay12
at least its not china

The Ballaster!!! *Poof*...

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 12:56:24 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Well, don't hold your breath if you think they will be more reliable.   Sadly I'm starting to see a trend where items manufactured right here in the USA under the claim of "USA made, USA Jobs" are proving to not be any better quality wise than those made overseas.  

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 11:12:31 PM » Author: CEB1993
I'm considering these American made LED's.  I might start with some 40 watt equivalents for a small lamp in the kitchen that I run most of the day.  I'll probably go with larger amounts of 60 watt equivalents to use in the lake house when the renovations bring new light fixtures.  I'm pleased to see an effort by Sylvania to keep production in the USA.

These bulbs are some of the best looking LED's yet.  They use the characteristic glass soft white envelopes with the same soft white coating Sylvania has used for years. :)  I like glass LED's more than plastic since they look more like classic incandescents.  As far as I know, the 75 and 100 watt replacements are larger than A19.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 11:28:59 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
The all glass LEDs are the only LED i like because they look so much more classic than anything else

Administrator #5

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Sylvania begins making LEDs in the USA « Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 07:24:16 AM » Author: CEB1993
The all glass LEDs are the only LED i like because they look so much more classic than anything else

I agree Lightingguy1994!  I like the classic appearance and design too.

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies