Author Topic: Using halogens in gas discharge lamps?  (Read 1320 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Using halogens in gas discharge lamps? « on: September 14, 2017, 04:27:41 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Should something like this reduce blackening or reduce efficiency or cause change in spectrum, or would it cause a lamp to self destruct? Is this what lifeguard lamps have already? I ask because the electrodes are usually tungsten so I'd imaging tungsten being brought back to the electrodes but I'm sure some other factors come into play as well with hid lamps

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Using halogens in gas discharge lamps? « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 01:32:24 AM » Author: dor123
Only special highly loaded HID lamps, such as the the UHP lamps, uses halogen cycle to prevent arctube blackening.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using halogens in gas discharge lamps? « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:57:46 PM » Author: James
All metal halide discharge lamps contain halogen vapours!  In many cases the thermal loading is not sufficiently high to drive a halogen regenerative cycle that keeps the wall clean, but in some types this is an integral design feature that helps to extend life and improve lumen maintenance.  Many of the short arc types for photo-optic applications have effective halogen cycles, as well as some of the more recent ceramic types for general lighting. 

Unfortunately, many metal halide lamps have tungsten transport cycles that work in the opposite direction - the halogen erodes tungsten away from the colder parts of the electrode and deposits it on the hot tip.  In these cases the halogen actually reduces life - but is a necessary evil because of their advantage in raising the metal halide vapour pressures, which is responsible for achieving better colour rendering and higher luminous efficacy than if no halogen was present.  This is one of the many reasons why the life of metal halide lamps is shorter than mercury.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using halogens in gas discharge lamps? « Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 04:18:02 PM » Author: Ash
The colder parts of the electrodes are not the ones where the arc root is, so how does the erosion there affect the discharge ?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Using halogens in gas discharge lamps? « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 05:26:38 AM » Author: Medved
The colder parts of the electrodes are not the ones where the arc root is, so how does the erosion there affect the discharge ?

The electrode lead in (support) wire is etched away and so breaks off. The same mechanism as in heavily underdriven halogen incandescent lamps...

And needed to note, in the CMH's the halide salts slowly dissolve the arctube wall material, till a leak path is formed. Another mechanism, where the halides shorten the life.

In real decent products the designers are well aware about all these mechanisms involved and so they are virtually perfectly balanced to yield maximum performance (longest life time vs maximum efficacy and color quality,...), of course the trade offs are made according the need for the given application (application requiring high color quality is tuned in a different way than another with the highest efficacy, or another where the lifetime is the dominant parameter).

The good advantage of these mechanisms is, they are (relative to others) perfectly predictable, so do not interfere that much with the reliability (so very minimum failures with reasonable maintenance group relamping schedule, with minimum wasted remaining life of the individual bulbs; do not confuse limited lifetime and reliability, these are way different things in the terms of installation management)

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies