Author Topic: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor?  (Read 3326 times)
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « on: September 16, 2017, 03:09:09 PM » Author: streetlight98
Check out this article! Laser-based general illumination? I'm skeptical about it but it sounds cool at least. Hopefully it doesn't eliminate traditional light fixtures altogether though. :o

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 03:28:31 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I genuinely don't like this, I could accept led's when they came out but this is just uneccesary. The issue I have is it being totally socket less, yes they make led's like this but as far as I'm aware that's more in a commercial setting, I certainly don't want to be replacing an entire home fixture... Screw that mess, they better make these things like light bulbs. Or better yet stick to a technology that they still have yet to perfect, peoples impatient astounds me, Atleast in these types of situations.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 03:33:15 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Sounds very unrealistic in near future and just some wild visions. Not in next 10 years. Also, what benefit would there be using single hi power laser and fiber optics. Wouldn't that mean the laser would use same amount of power even when there would not be need for lighting in certain area of building.

I don't also understand the fixation in wholly evenly illuminated ceiling. I would consider something like that ugly but many "future of lighting" article features such idea.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 03:55:25 PM » Author: Ash
There is a sort of rush to "redefine the perfect lighting" that largely started with LEDs. Forget proper optics and so, uniformity is the most important thing ! What we see here is still the same thinking applied to a potential future technology

I generally see all the eye strain problems from LEDs except getting worse
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 04:09:57 PM » Author: Lodge
What are they going to cost and how are they planning on dealing with phosphor degradation, sure you can get 2000 times the light from a laser diode, so the phosphor will degrade faster as well, I guess we will wait and see what happens, but it should make high power blue laser diodes even cheaper...   
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 04:20:56 PM » Author: Ash
Photobiological safety of the Blue line coming through, and the light reflected off shiny surfaces ???
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 10:42:19 PM » Author: streetlight98
Yeah I don't like the idea of everything moving toward concentrated light sources. These concentrated light sources have more glare and are more harmful to the eye. Nothing beats the softness of a T17 fluorescent or a giant G40 incandescent lamp. Those lamps are so diffuse and easy on the eyes yet do a fine job of lighting a room too!

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 10:54:50 PM » Author: 589
Digital projection uses laser light engines in some of their 3 chip DLP projectors. They work pretty good and have low maintenance costs vs UHP Mercury.

:lps:

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 12:26:51 AM » Author: tolivac
Laser projection lighting-RBG lasers give the best results.Christie,Barco come to mind as the users-and IMAX.The IMAX  film replacements don't equal their 15/70 film systems.SAD-many of those fine peices of projector engineering have gone to the scrappile in favor of inferior digital projection.For replacement of 35MM film in commercial cinemas-digital is OK-but for large film formats forget it.The laser lighting is a good replacement for the high pressure Xenon lamps-a bomb in your projector lamphouse!The lasers use less power,last longer-no high pressure lamp hazards.Sony now makes a home type projector that uses phosphor lasers-not RBG.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 10:38:57 AM » Author: 589
Yea DP (digital projection) has a setup that uses two blue lasers with some phosper wheels and stuff (magic) to create a high CRI white light that is then fed into the usual 3 chip DMD prism setup to do RGB. The whole thing is sealed and water cooled. I've installed two of the highlite lasers and they have really rich color. You can also tell that it is laser powered if you get close to the screen, you can see a small amount of noise in the light that lasers produce. The projectors themselves are quite a bit heavier than their UHP counterparts on account of them being way more dense.

:lps:

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 12:07:06 PM » Author: BlueHalide
One thing is for certain, Diodes are here to stay for a very long time, whether it be standard LEDs as we know them today, or DPSS lasers like in the article. The LED currently has exceeded every other light technology in efficiency and the high power LED has only been on the market for 10-12 years. Using lightguide pipes reminds me of the microwave sulfur plasma lamps that were developed in the late 90's and never went anywhere.
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 04:33:22 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
has not exceeded LPS yet, the best ones can hit 200 lumens per watt, probelm is nobody seems to like them anymore

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 12:27:19 AM » Author: tolivac
For laser projection lighting Christie,Barco(Cinema projectors) use separate lasers for the Red,Blue,Green.This give the best quality and efficiency over the phosphor based system .The RBG is more expensive.If you want a Christie RBG laser projector---its only $275,000!IMAX uses a similar system.For the Christie system depending on the size of the screen-the projector has rack mounted laser modules of each color-4 or 6.Their outputs are combined and fed into the projector with a VERY large fiber optic cable.The laser module racks are cooled by large blowers.
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 11:28:52 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Video projectors have really come long way. Still remember those big, heavy and noisy CRT projectors that were used once.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have LEDs Already Met Their Successor? « Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 02:16:18 PM » Author: Ash
In projection the scene information is allready very limited after conversion by a camera, processing, and conversion by the LCD matrix. 3 specific color bands and finite number of brightness level (8 or other) in each color. This is not comparable at all to what we see with our own eyes. The lighting requirements for projection are entirely different than what we want to expect from lighting used for lighting
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies