Author Topic: I was Given  (Read 2249 times)
Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

I was Given « on: September 18, 2017, 08:49:27 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
A Bulb Today That Looks a LOT Like This, But Might Not Be this 1 at all....
It came from the light outside our flats and burns orange...
 :hps: :hps: :hps:

***Photo From Google***

I LOVE Bulbs, Be They The Light up Kind or the Ones That Grow...

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I was Given « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 11:11:17 AM » Author: Beta 5
You were probably given a 70w SON-E (I) lamp, these are quite common in floodlights and wall packs  :hps:
These lamps have an internal glow starter much like the glow starters of florescent lighting, that shorts the ballast when it starts, to provide an inductive kick to strike the arc.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: I was Given « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 11:44:42 AM » Author: dor123
Here 70W high pressure sodium lamps with an internal starter, are common mainly in postops and for retrofitting 80W mercury vapour lamps.
These lamps tends to have long hot restrike periods due to the internal starter being disconnected by a bi-metal strip when the lamp is hot. They usually restrikes after 3-15 mins, depending of the time the bi-metal moving back to close position. Sometimes they may even hot restrike directly from plain 230-240Vrms (Occurs mainly with Osram NAV-E/I 70W lamps), before the starter being connected back.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I was Given « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 12:59:13 PM » Author: Bubbler Tube
Thanks Guys
 ;D ;D ;D
I'm VERY Pleased With My Score Today....
LOL

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I was Given « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 05:23:54 AM » Author: Ash
You have the ballast to power it, right ? This lamp must never be powered without a ballast
Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I was Given « Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 06:49:39 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
Hi
No I Don't But it's a dead one, but that's OK as I wasn't even expecting him to say yes when I asked when the man was fixing the outside lights.....

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I was Given « Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:01:41 AM » Author: Ash
If it is still clean White color then it will most likely light up, but at some point extinguish, and keep coming on and off by itself every few minutes
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: I was Given « Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 04:49:05 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
You have the ballast to power it, right ? This lamp must never be powered without a ballast
Well i mean an HPS lamp wont do anything anyways lol

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I was Given « Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 07:47:04 PM » Author: sol
If it is self starting with a glow bottle, mains voltage could be enough to strike it at which point it will immediately self-destruct if used without a ballast. I take it you're in Europe and this could very well be the case. North American HPS are not self starting and won't work without an ignitor. Nothing will happen on direct 120V mains, regardless of ballast or not.
Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I was Given « Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 03:19:25 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
I'm in England and DON'T Want an Exploding Lamp Thanks....
LOL

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I was Given « Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 03:44:55 AM » Author: Ash
Thats why a ballast is used to provide the lamp with the correct power
Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I was Given « Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 03:51:33 AM » Author: Beta 5
You can either get a ballast or an entire fitting quite cheaply.
For a ballast on eBay it is about £10 and for a complete fitting around £10 - £30 depending on if you got a new or used one.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies