Author Topic: Step Up/Down Transformer  (Read 1208 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Step Up/Down Transformer « on: October 09, 2017, 04:07:48 PM » Author: CEB1993
I just got a step up/down transformer that can output either 220 volts or 115 volts.  It is rated at 1000 watt max.  I am planning on plugging my E40 mogul lamp socket into a travel converter, and the travel converter into the transformer to light my 1000 watt, 230 volt halogen lamp at full brightness.  The travel converter is rated at 1875 watts max., so I would not exceed any maximum wattages.  Is it safe to use the American-style plug and wire on the lamp fixture on a higher voltage (230 volts)?  Is it the same concept as charging a phone with an American 120 volt plug and cord in a European country on 240 volts? Wish me luck!

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Step Up/Down Transformer « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 04:30:39 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'd assume 12 gauge would work just fine. I've forced worse voltages and currents through american style plugs, sockets and wiring and they faired well, just use the bigger stuff... like the ones you'd find on fridges, heavy duty extension cords, air conditioners, etc, just dont use any of that crap you find on christmas light strands, cheapo desklamps and other small stuff.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Step Up/Down Transformer « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 05:52:30 PM » Author: CEB1993
Thanks for your help Owen!  Upon closer inspection, the cord to my mogul socket is rated for up to 300 volts. I'm sure the 230 volt lamp running on it should be no problem.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Step Up/Down Transformer « Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 08:45:54 PM » Author: sol
The metal part of a wire/cord/etc is not the problem. You could probably use quite a small gauge of wire on that, like maybe 16 and still be fine. The big worry is the insulation. If the insulation were rated quite below what you intend on using, you have a higher chance of arc over through the insulation. There is more than enough metal in an American plug and socket to withstand much more than 240V, however the insulation might not be rated for that. The other worry would be to have unexpected voltage in the device. Normally you don't expect 240V from a standard 120V receptacle and plug. That could lead to erroneously plugging in something that shouldn't.

Now enough for the official rules, the way you describe what you're about to do, which amounts to merely testing, you should be fine with what you have.
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Step Up/Down Transformer « Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 03:29:01 AM » Author: Lodge
for testing, yes it's safe, basically most NEMA 5-15 type plug are built to withstand 300 volts without an issue and they will handle 15 amps short term but 80 % of that long term (12 amps), but for a permanent installation, it's a code violation, and will normally result in lots of damaged items that get plugged into it by accident, unless they use a switched mode power supply like a laptop which will work like normal, so for a permanent install consider getting a snake eyes plug like a NEMA 6-15, they really don't cost any more then the NEMA 5-15's and quickly prevent any accidents later on 120 volt plugs just don't fit... 
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Step Up/Down Transformer « Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 10:40:42 PM » Author: Ash
1875W looks like the rating of an electronic travel converter. Such converter is basically a dimmer circuit preset to put out 120V RMS, nothing more

If it is an electronic converter :

- They can only step voltage down

- They cannot drive anything but resistive loads

- An 120V Incandescent, while it is indeed a resistive load, im unsure whether it might strike an internal arc if subjected to higher peak voltages repetitively on each half cycle

So if you got a proper transformer, why you need anything else ?

As for wiring and voltage. Dont worry for the wire insulation. If it is not flimsy (to the point of being unsuitable for 120V either), it will hold fine many 100's V coninuous or over 1kV pulse (e.g. Fluorescent lamp starting), regardless of its ratings
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies