Author Topic: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen?  (Read 4573 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « on: October 23, 2017, 01:42:55 PM » Author: CEB1993
I have had three GE 200 watt bulbs burn out the moment I switched them on.  All three were made in Hungary in July 2017.  I suspect these were a bad batch as they were all the same wattage and made in the same month.  One was clear and two were soft white.  I check my bulbs carefully for any flaws or breakage in the store before I buy them, so I'm afraid there may have been oxygen inside the bulb, from not being degassed fully, thus allowing the filament to burn out instantly.

I have also had a box of three GE double life 40 watt G25 globe bulbs that I put in the pool table hanging light that all burnt out within one week of installing them, with probably 5 min. use per day ???  Could have been the same problem, a bad batch that wasn't degassed properly.  The G25's I used were made in March 2017 in Hungary and all three came from the same package.  

Most recently, I had a two pack of 60 watt Hungarian made GE bug lights that went to light bulb Heaven in one day, after about 3 hours of total use.  Both burnt out the moment I flipped the switch in the lamps they were in.  They were both made in July 2015.  I am beginning to wonder if there are quality control issues in the Hungary factory, especially with the degassing process.

I am now choosing Philips over GE for lighting products.  It gets to be a hassle and a waste of money when your bulbs blow out immediately.  I guess the new LED's are reducing the demand for incandescents, and their quality is going downhill.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:48:28 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 03:24:05 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
2 possibilities.  Bad batch, or something wrong with your electrical system. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 04:14:44 PM » Author: CEB1993
2 possibilities.  Bad batch, or something wrong with your electrical system. 

It could be both. Probably due to a bad batch in my primary house and due to the electrical in the lake house. When we bought the lake house, the place was a train wreck!  I'm certain there's electricial glitches there along with many other major maintenance problems.  I can tell there are power surges during the week when I come in during the weekend and my LED alarm clock has gone dark.  Now I'm worried about leaving the big Samsung TV plugged in when we're not there.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 05:07:47 PM » Author: funkybulb
Hugarian bulbs usually good,  i think
U might have a failing neutral in the house
When this happens voltages will swing
all over over the place since 240 volt comes
The house. And the neutral all it does to carry
Unballance loades of 120 volt back to transfromer
Let say this way u have a 60 watt light bulb
That draws a half amp on 120 volts on Phase A
And 100 watts on Phase B. The neutral supose
To carry back .33 amp back to transformer
When u loose it the 120 volt 100 watt bulb want share
Power from 60 watts 120 volt bulb the voltage will swing on 60 watt bulb also trying to ballance the load with 100 watt bulb on 240 volts causing bulbs to burn out.

That first thing i would check.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 11:52:42 PM » Author: Lodge
Yep I would check the ground connection to a pipe / rod / plate/ rebar while your at it, and don't worry about the TV, the switched mode power supply will run just fine on 240 with out missing a beat you can probably run it right up to 300+ volts without much issue and down to like 60 volts they are a pretty solid designs and just adjust switching frequency and pulse width depending on what your feeding it..

And why the grounding is in question as well, when there is an incoming neutral wire from the electrical service - grounded somewhere by the utility company - don't assume that it's connected. And when this happens you end up with a double fault, So when the local user loses the ground you'll get the above neutral faults, and its more common then you would think..
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 01:26:06 AM » Author: Ash
Other than bad overvoltage (from a broken Neutral) i dont see how "old glitchy electrics" would shorten the life of an Incandescent lamp. Especially down to 0

Were the lamps getting White smoke inside ? (degassing)

Were the filaments looking different than usual ? (wrong etch and packaging, the lamp is actually for lower voltage)
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 08:33:18 AM » Author: funkybulb
@ ash if neutral go broken all 120 volt stuff going get shared across 240 volts. Things will happens until
It can sort it selt out.  Until user dicided to unballance
The load. Somthing else would happens.

I have once observed this at work where i as prosscessing metals my coworker dug up 240/120 volt
With a payloader broke the neutral leaving 240 volts
Ive watch the fluorescents in the shop that had interesting effect. T8 would blink on and off
Doing push and pull effects.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 08:31:55 AM » Author: CEB1993
I'm certain that my house gets occasional voltage fluctuations. It happens more frequently at my grandparents house, since they have an electric HVAC system for air conditioning and heat. It seems like they have bulbs burn out more frequently at their house.

I've seen a video of a 60 watt 120 volt light bulb running at 240 volts. It didn't explode, but it did produce about twice as much light as normal and I heard that it's life exceptancy would be severely reduced.

On my T3 halogen lamps, the package says do not run at more than 110% of the rated voltage. I can imagine pressurized halogen lamps are much more sensitive to voltage spikes than incandescents.

Stop the lamp bans!

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 12:56:24 PM » Author: Lodge
CEB1993, normally A/C's have a snubber built in so while they may output small line voltage variations they are normally kept to a pretty safe voltage so they don't damage anything, and yes 120 volt lights are very bright at 240 and they only last minutes and some even turn into arc lights before failing... 
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 10:52:31 PM » Author: CEB1993
I'm looking for a GE product that I believe was only seen in Canada, Rural service light bulbs.  I believe they are incandescents rated at 130 volts and designed to withstand voltage spikes in off-grid areas or places where electrical power is less reliable.  I think they would be cool collectors items as speciality incandescents are getting harder to find. 

I'm suspicious that I have occasional voltage surges in my lake house, so some 130 volt bulbs, such as the Rural service lamps would do the trick.

Stop the lamp bans!

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 12:39:53 AM » Author: Lodge
I'm looking for a GE product that I believe was only seen in Canada, Rural service light bulbs.  I believe they are incandescents rated at 130 volts and designed to withstand voltage spikes in off-grid areas or places where electrical power is less reliable.  I think they would be cool collectors items as speciality incandescents are getting harder to find. 

I'm suspicious that I have occasional voltage surges in my lake house, so some 130 volt bulbs, such as the Rural service lamps would do the trick.

I've seen them years ago up here, I wanna say they are 130 volt bulbs, from what I remember they were basically a rough service lamp with less supports and thinner glass, if I see a pack in my travels I'll grab them and post a few shots...

Why not go with some lamps like PLT's 130 Volt 10,000 hour lamps which are still available fairly easy for a buck a bulb ? https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/192425/PLT-20063.html
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 08:27:18 PM » Author: CEB1993
I've seen them years ago up here, I wanna say they are 130 volt bulbs, from what I remember they were basically a rough service lamp with less supports and thinner glass, if I see a pack in my travels I'll grab them and post a few shots...

Why not go with some lamps like PLT's 130 Volt 10,000 hour lamps which are still available fairly easy for a buck a bulb ? https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/192425/PLT-20063.html

1050 Lumens is pretty good for a lamp that claims to last 10,000 hours.  These look like nice quality bulbs, especially with that heat shield.  Those would be great for several places in the lake house. 

Stop the lamp bans!

DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 11:42:06 PM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
Yes, bad batches of bulbs do happen. GE's incandescent bulbs have gone way downhill in quality. I am actually having issues with a batch of GE blue PAR floods at work - the bulbs are only lasting a couple hundred hours.
GE used to make a line of bulbs called 'Survivor' that were basically rough service long life bulbs, but they were discontinued when the factory closed around 2009. I typically use Sylvania bulbs since the quality is usually good. The Sylvania Doublelife Halogens perform quite well at work.

If you are looking for a rough service bulb, Hytron 150W bulbs are rated at 10,000 hours. And Hytron / Trojan bulbs are made in the U.S.A.

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 12:33:14 AM » Author: Lodge
You might also like Aerovox 20,000 hour lamps They also have Neodymium 20,000 hours lamps Both are rough service and made in the USA.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 01:07:47 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
now a days they don't last 20,000 hours.  3000, maybe 4000 tops.  Sadly. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies