Author Topic: Where will the Big 3 Move Their LED Manufacturing?  (Read 1516 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Where will the Big 3 Move Their LED Manufacturing? « on: November 13, 2017, 08:57:45 PM » Author: CEB1993
As LED's become more and more commonplace, I've noticed that they are being made in other places besides China.

Sylvania is making Great Value brand LED's in the USA  :)

Philips makes a few reflector style LED's in Mexico.  I've seen 230 volt versions of A19 LED's made in Poland.

GE makes all of their LED's in China to my knowledge.  Maybe they will eventually start being made in Hungary, or in one of the new Ohio factories?

I'm hoping to see Philips make 120 volt versions of the A19 LED's in Poland or Mexico.  I would buy a lot of those then.  Philips seems to have the best selection of general purpose LED's right now.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Kev

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where will the Big 3 Move Their LED Manufacturing? « Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 12:22:13 AM » Author: Kev
Most Led's are Chinese the drivers for 90% of LED we have over here are Chinese apart from some Mexican Philips and a few U.K. Made tridonics that I've seen about but hey now you actually have a decent president in the US who seems to care about clawing industry back to the US maybe you will see production shift back over there!

Voted to leave the EU and proud! 👉🏻🇪🇺🇬🇧

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Where will the Big 3 Move Their LED Manufacturing? « Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 09:38:31 PM » Author: CEB1993
Most Led's are Chinese the drivers for 90% of LED we have over here are Chinese apart from some Mexican Philips and a few U.K. Made tridonics that I've seen about but hey now you actually have a decent president in the US who seems to care about clawing industry back to the US maybe you will see production shift back over there!

We do have some American made Sylvania LED's under the Walmart Great Value store brand.  They seem like good bulbs and actually use a glass A19 outer envelope.  They are probably made on the same modified assembly lines as the incandescents and halogens in St. Mary's, Pennsylvania.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where will the Big 3 Move Their LED Manufacturing? « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 03:24:36 PM » Author: takemorepills
Most LED bulbs will still rely heavily on a majority of Chinese made parts.
Those "USA" Sylvanias are most likely assembled with Chinese LED filaments, which to me means they are not really a "USA made Sylvania".

It is true that China is becoming more expensive as it becomes more developed, but it'll be a while before the entire manufacturing of stuff is done outside of China. We spent 25+ years moving our factories to China, it's gonna take another 25 years to relocate all factories again.

I think full automation may bring a lot back to USA. eventually.
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Where will the Big 3 Move Their LED Manufacturing? « Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 08:22:32 PM » Author: CEB1993
I bought an American made Sylvania LED today and a pack of 4 Philips LED's made in China.  I will say that the Chinese Philips bulbs are better looking bulbs and seem to be of better quality.  They are a much better value too at 10 dollars for 4 Philips bulbs vs. 6 dollars for 1 Sylvania bulb.  I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of China made Philips LED's.  Philips is ahead of the game with their LED products, making the most compact and efficient LED's to date, and use traditional A19 glass envelopes. 

Stop the lamp bans!

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Where will the Big 3 Move Their LED Manufacturing? « Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 08:24:16 AM » Author: toomanybulbs
unfortunately nearly all raw leds are made in china now.
wont be any such thing as a made in usa led bulb.
only assembled in usa.
Most LED bulbs will still rely heavily on a majority of Chinese made parts.
Those "USA" Sylvanias are most likely assembled with Chinese LED filaments, which to me means they are not really a "USA made Sylvania".

It is true that China is becoming more expensive as it becomes more developed, but it'll be a while before the entire manufacturing of stuff is done outside of China. We spent 25+ years moving our factories to China, it's gonna take another 25 years to relocate all factories again.

I think full automation may bring a lot back to USA. eventually.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Where will the Big 3 Move Their LED Manufacturing? « Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 10:37:27 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
unfortunately nearly all raw leds are made in china now.
wont be any such thing as a made in usa led bulb.
only assembled in usa.
Doubt full automation will help with jobs though...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies