Author Topic: GE is gonna stop making lamps  (Read 4956 times)
xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

GE is gonna stop making lamps « on: November 14, 2017, 01:49:30 AM » Author: xelareverse
http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/13/news/companies/ge-light-bulbs/index.html
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 02:11:48 AM » Author: Silverliner
What's left of GE will roll into the sea. Trust me. Look what happened to Westinghouse after they sold its core business making light bulbs.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:28:43 AM » Author: dor123
This is what happens when banning light bulbs, and promoting LEDs in the current form, and mainly when forcing you to stop using old technology (Lamps) in favor of new ones (LEDs).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:30:27 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 06:41:21 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
What's left of GE will roll into the sea. Trust me. Look what happened to Westinghouse after they sold its core business making light bulbs.
I dont think lighting has been GE's core business for years anymore. As the article says, lighting was making only 2% of company's overal revenue.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:46:09 AM » Author: 589
Yea a bunch of businesses will probably tank once the market LED saturates. That is unless they do what they did with MV back in the day and start lowering the quality of them so they last as long as older technologies. There is still a long way to go though. I had a dollar general store last year built near me that used 0% led lighting. It's rare, but it still happens.

:lps:

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 07:49:39 AM » Author: funkybulb
This what happens when a company get too big
For it briches.  Doing what best for share holder
Instrests. I think it the capitol credit what ruin
GE.  

Now what made it worse was GE tried to expand
But doing it in wrong way, like buying Thorns
Lighting plant. And Tungsram. Then in future
Thows it away.  Thanks GE killing some of best
Bulb makers.  Also GE shot them self in the foot
Since late 80s making crappy incandescents
Into late 90s.  And doing the same investing heavy in
China lamp with crap classic style LED,  like they threw out reseach labatory out the window.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 09:27:11 AM » Author: CEB1993
I saw on Fox News yesterday that GE had its largest drop in stock value in seven years.  Seven years ago was when the company was outsourcing to Mexico and China and closing American factories such as the one in Winchester, VA. 

I can tell that lighting is not GE's priority, with its other wide range of other products such as turbine engines and medical equipment.  In fact, the engineering school that I am applying to with the lighting design program is not sponsored by GE.  It is sponsored by Sylvania and Philips, and several other "lighting" companies.  As a company GE is still vastly successful, but its lighting industry is overshadowed by its wide range of other products.  I guess investing in higher tech and more expensive LED lighting solutions was not the right move for GE at this point.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 10:23:29 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
GE is doing just fine, having a huge stake in the Aviation engine and healthcare business.  They make tons of $$$ from it. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 04:06:39 PM » Author: suzukir122
I was literally just about to make a thread about this.
Been finding this all over the news recently

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 04:29:24 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I guess it's Philips next.

Narva -> out of lamp business

(Havels)Sylvania -> sold to chinese (feilo-sylvania)

Osram (also US sylvania?) -> ledvance, sold to chinese

GE -> trying to find a buyer.

What else do we have left of those who have own production?

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 01:15:53 PM » Author: CEB1993
I guess light bulbs with the GE logo will still be made at a factory in China, like what Westinghouse has done.  I'm sure bulbs will still be manufactured with a "GE" logo since that's what the consumer expects when they need to buy light bulbs.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 04:42:13 PM » Author: Silverliner
The GE factories are for sale too along with the entire lamp business unit.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 02:34:51 AM » Author: Ash
Still as functional factories, or as "rid us from this scrap metal" ? Thats quite some difference
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 09:03:18 AM » Author: Lumex120
Hmm... this might be an opportunity here. Anyone here a billionaire?

Unofficial LG Discord

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE is gonna stop making lamps « Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 10:34:45 AM » Author: Ash
If the price is in the billions, it means that it will be sold to some company that will keep running it, possibly retooled for LED lamps. If it would be sold for scrap, it would not cost anywhere near as much
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies