Author Topic: Who made these cylinder fixtures originally? And when did they come out?  (Read 4361 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Who made these cylinder fixtures originally? And when did they come out? « on: December 08, 2017, 09:53:19 PM » Author: Cole D.
I always liked these cylinder type fixtures as a kid. The older ones had a metal base that was silver, and I assume a glass shade, and I think were incandescent. They seemed kind of mid-century modern style. You saw them a lot on businesses at side or back doors. I had a newer plastic one that I found, black poly plastic with a clear prismatic plastic shade, and a florescent bulb that was two thin tubes. It was pretty neat but I got rid of it because the build quality was poor and it seemed really dim. I think it was probably from Lights of America or Regent. I wished I had kept it now. I still see some of the old ones, but some have been replaced or removed over the years as buildings were remodeled or demolished.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Who made these cylinder fixtures originally? And when did they come out? « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 02:25:49 PM » Author: BT25
I remember these from the '80s. There were two companies that made these...Intelectron and Regent Lighting (Cooper). Electripak (residential grade ITT-American Electric) made a similar fixture in the '90s. (There may be other makers.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:18:28 PM by WestinghouseCeramalux » Logged

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Who made these cylinder fixtures originally? And when did they come out? « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:52:47 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I think there is a couple of these on a bank in my area, Don't recall exactly...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Who made these cylinder fixtures originally? And when did they come out? « Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 07:37:13 PM » Author: Lumex120
They were made by a few manufactures. Zenith, Regent/Cooper (who still makes them, but with GU24 CFLs) and Dabmar. (Still preheat!)

Unofficial LG Discord

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Who made these cylinder fixtures originally? And when did they come out? « Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 08:40:05 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
The ones around here had HPS in them.... Is that one they made or was this perhaps a custom job?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: Who made these cylinder fixtures originally? And when did they come out? « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 08:54:16 PM » Author: streetlight98
GE and Lithonia lighting made HPS versions of these as well, homebrew. They also made the ubiquitous CFL versions. I had a Cooper/Regent one awhile ago that was decent quality. I broke it from fiddling with it too much though. The housing was white thermoplastic (the stuff EXIT signs are made out of nowadays). I have two NOS LOA versions that are brown polycarbonate. Really cheaply made lights but they're cool because they're NOS and a matching pair.

I think Stonco made a silver/chrome version of this made of cast aluminum with an opal glass jar slightly more rounded than these plastic ones. A church near me has a few. They're 70s era and incandescent.

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Who made these cylinder fixtures originally? And when did they come out? « Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 06:21:16 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yeah, the ones I used to see were aluminum and had a white jar so it was likely glass.

I had a black plastic one with a clear plastic diffuser that screwed in and had lines inside. It took a low watt plug in cfl and was rather dim. I ended up donating it back to Habitat but I kind of wish I kept it now.

You may remember a while back I found a white Utilitech version at Lowes recently in a very dusty box. I took it to the register to buy and it was from long enough ago it wasn't even in the system. They called a manager over who said I could have it for $5. Well, dummy me didn't open it, and while I thought I was getting a NOS fixture that turned up behind a shelf or something, what I really got was a box with a used coach porch light from 2005 with a hole drilled in it. You can imagine my disappointment.  :(
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 06:32:27 PM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: Who made these cylinder fixtures originally? And when did they come out? « Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 08:28:21 PM » Author: paintballer22
On the aluminum ones I have a bunch of them in service at the paintball field they are made by Progress Lighting. I believe they came out in the 60s.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:32:44 PM by paintballer22 » Logged
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Who made these cylinder fixtures originally? And when did they come out? « Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 09:12:59 PM » Author: Cole D.
Nice. Yeah, that's probably about right, they have a mid century look so I'd guess 1950s or 60s was when they came out.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who made these cylinder fixtures originally? And when did they come out? « Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 12:53:13 AM » Author: tolivac
Isn't this another "Jelly Jar" wallpack lamp?Remember seeing these at Lowes and Home Depot some years back-could be used with CFL or incandescent bulbs.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Who made these cylinder fixtures originally? And when did they come out? « Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 07:24:23 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yeah, but I would consider this more of a commercial jelly jar type fixture. Although they are common for side entrance lighting on houses.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies