Author Topic: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS  (Read 4508 times)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « on: December 31, 2017, 10:06:17 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
All LED fixtures that I have seen are 5000K in color temp. It's the same color and the same lamp
If I could I'd make everyone sign a petition to ban LED street lights
Even a MH has more color difference than LED
HPS, they should stay because it's warm an cozy light, I mean what if I want to sleep in a parking lot (I have before) I don't think 5000K isn't going to make me sleep with no buzzing. 2100K HPS has a better chance of making me sleep
MV has lots of color (not color rendering wise). The classic green would look better than LED
*Note* any HID lamp I just described, I'm not against any of them, I'm totally with them
LEDs would be ok if they tried to re-create the exact color of any HID, but nooo they all seem to be 5000K, BTW 5000K isn't even daylight, it may say it tho it is fake. 6500K is daylight
Who is with me, lets hear your discussion

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 04:53:45 AM » Author: takemorepills
In my city, probably county-wide (Snohomish) actually, I have noticed the utilities are using (guesstimate) 3500K LED street lights. They seem VERY warm compared to the 5000K used in Seattle (King county). And when used next to legacy HPS, they don't seem wildly different like when a 5000K LED is next to HPS. I have seen many different LED streetlight manufacturers being used here, but all streetlights seem to be using the same "warmer" color temp than usual.

BTW, many of the gas stations and parking lots that switched to all LED have at least a few cycling/flashing, dimmed-out or just plain dead LED fixtures. I know many locations were 20+ year old HID installs that probably only needed one or two relamps and a few photocell replacements in their long service life. The gas station by a local Park 'n Ride looks like a disco club! They have 3 canopy LEDs going full-strobe, someones gonna have a seizure!
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 05:03:57 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I wish they would use warm white LEDs only, the daylight ones are torture on the eyes

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 07:11:43 PM » Author: Rommie

I wish they would use warm white LEDs only, the daylight ones are torture on the eyes
I just wish they'd use SOX  :a_sox:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 07:36:40 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994

Yes! Even better

Administrator #5

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 09:08:54 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
TOo bad its pretty much obsolete nowadays (despite it being on par with LED in efficacy)  ::)

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 12:38:02 AM » Author: tolivac
I am not used to SOX lights-have one in my collection-a Philips 35W wallpack-they are simple and RELIABLE!!!LED lights have MORE to go wrong-Also other HID lights have less to go wrong-and can be repaired quickly,easily,and cheaply.Bulbs are easy to change as opposed to LED elements.To repair LED fixtures they have to be taken down and to a shop.The ones at our worksite can be repaired on tghe pole,though.The LED elements and drivers can be replaced.But others....
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 01:11:13 AM » Author: dor123
Most LED lanterns I've seen (Gaash Venus, Schreder Teceo 1 and 2), have 4000K, but some have 3000K, but still superglaring while dimly illuminates the road, compared to the former HPS lanterns, that they have been replaced.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 12:32:57 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: F96T12 DD VHO
All LED fixtures that I have seen are 5000K in color temp.
Beginning late last year, I've started seeing warm-ish white (I'd say 3500k, but could be 3000k) LED streetlights.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:23:21 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 08:53:57 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Some of the cities here started out with the 5000+k colors but have since been installing 4000k and 3000k.  Thankfully.  My community which is serviced by XCEL energy did their research and did 4100k LEDs for the major thoroughfares and are planning 3000k LEDs for the neighborhoods. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 09:01:59 PM » Author: mdcastle
Xcel around here did all 4100K Leds (GE Evolve in Minnesota, Philips Roadview in Wisconsin)

The city of Shakopee is going with 3000K for residential areas unless the developer wants something different.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 09:06:43 PM » Author: Rommie
The city of Shakopee is going with 3000K for residential areas unless the developer wants something different.
Of course what the residents want is neither here nor there  :(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:08:16 PM by MissRiaElaine » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 09:50:19 PM » Author: FGS
Of course what the residents want is neither here nor there  :(

What residents? He mentioned developers so it's likely a new neighborhood is being built with new houses. There's no residents neither here nor there to ask until the place is built. Plus asking what each resident wants lighting their road is gonna be a nightmare. Each one has different tastes as for what should light residential roads. I want coated MV for residential, you wants LPS, Ash wants HPS, and so on. Who's the developer gonna pick? They'd pick whatever they want which in this case is 3000k LEDs.

Plus do any of the majority of the average residents even care about what type of light is lighting their roads?

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 10:37:53 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
What residents? He mentioned developers so it's likely a new neighborhood is being built with new houses. There's no residents neither here nor there to ask until the place is built. Plus asking what each resident wants lighting their road is gonna be a nightmare. Each one has different tastes as for what should light residential roads. I want coated MV for residential, you wants LPS, Ash wants HPS, and so on. Who's the developer gonna pick? They'd pick whatever they want which in this case is 3000k LEDs.

Plus do any of the majority of the average residents even care about what type of light is lighting their roads?
Depends, this is not street light related, But earlier tonight i was riding with a friends mother home and we came up upon some utility workers doing their thing, with these bright glary (...) LED warning lights on, They are distracting and overwhelmingly bright and flashy... I'd bet if the wrong person came by they'd have a seizure (AND I KNOW PEOPLE WHO WOULD!!), she got pissed about it and started speaking of how she missed the "old revolver light thingies" I am totally on her side with this one... I hate those LED warning lights... they suck. that truck literally looked like a freaking UFO... No joke, I'm not exaggerating.... and this seems to be a common occurrence around here and neighboring cities.. And they've recently come out with these green ones .... I HATE THOSE MORE! they're even worse.... it adds insult to injury when they use both green and orange.. WTF!!!

I know its to protect the workers but this is just too (...) much. when the driver cant even see what they're doing because some bright ass light is glaring in their face than what good is a warning light to begin with?? traffic pylons mounted with blinkers are more effective than this madness!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:45:05 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: STOP LEDISEASING ROADS AND PARKING LOTS « Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 11:26:53 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: FGS
Honestly I don't think the average person even notices streetlights.
(other than the simple fact they exist)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies