Author Topic: CFL already gone from the mass market?  (Read 4221 times)
kai

View Posts
View Gallery

CFL already gone from the mass market? « on: January 01, 2018, 08:00:27 PM » Author: kai
I refer to the comment I just left at http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-140242

On the occasion of this purchase I noted that, it seems, two mainstream outlets already no longer carry CFLs. In their lamp shelvings I saw halogens and LEDs, but no CFLs anymore. Perhaps a few ones still lingered around and would have been found by an in-depht search, but altogether I got the impression that the CFL is, in its incarnation as integrated E27 retrofit, already an obsolete product, being driven out of the market by LED retrofits.

Any different observations?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL already gone from the mass market? « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:23:30 PM » Author: wattMaster
The CFLs seem to still be available, but nobody cares about them anymore. I could go out and buy a pack of CFLs if I wanted to, but I already have loads of them. ;D

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: CFL already gone from the mass market? « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 09:55:17 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
the Walmart around here does not seem to stock them anymore but Meijers does... not sure what to think yet, either way they're likely going away sometime in the near future.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL already gone from the mass market? « Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 09:56:03 PM » Author: BlueHalide
The usual E26 base 13w, 20w, 26w CFL's have all disappeared from the shelves of my local stores, WalMart's last CFL they stocked (my local store at least) was the GE 32w (150w equiv.) 3000K lamp, they were put on clearance a few months ago. Hardware retailers like Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards still carry the larger 32w, 42w, and 65w E26 CFLs as they are still much less expensive than LED's of the same higher output. They also still stock the non-integrated ballast PL plug-in type lamps, but thats it, the shelves are otherwise completely devoid of the lower wattage lamps that replaced the usual incandescent wattages. If I wanted say, a 26w (100w equiv) CFL ide now have to go online as I can no longer get them locally

Manufacturers are abandoning this technology due to the obvious LED craze.
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: CFL already gone from the mass market? « Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:07:11 PM » Author: Lodge
Walmart was pretty open about this, they are no longer carrying CFL's, they are moving to all LED the article about it can be found Here they were also the first retailer to get rid of incandescent bulbs as well..
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: CFL already gone from the mass market? « Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 11:36:06 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Walmart was pretty open about this, they are no longer carrying CFL's, they are moving to all LED the article about it can be found Here they were also the first retailer to get rid of incandescent bulbs as well..
I did not realize they got rid of incandescent lamps... the one around here still stocks a good supply of them... perhaps some stores did not embrace the change due to demand?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL already gone from the mass market? « Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 03:45:13 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Same thing here, integrated cfls are mostly gone. Some bigger chains still have few basic lamps available and some cheap-shops sell those burn-down-your-house kits I.E most cheapest CFLs with 1-2 eur price.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: CFL already gone from the mass market? « Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 09:41:55 AM » Author: Cole D.
Walmart here still has incandescent but no CFL. I did see CFL at Lowes. Not sure about Home Depot.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: CFL already gone from the mass market? « Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 06:49:58 AM » Author: dor123
Home Center and Ace here, still sells CFLs, with Home Center even sells Osram CFLs.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

randacnam7321

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL already gone from the mass market? « Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 11:41:47 AM » Author: randacnam7321
The only helicraps I see at Walmart are blacklight blue as they are a quarter the price of UV LED lamps.

Old school FTW!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: CFL already gone from the mass market? « Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 09:03:07 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I honestly couldn't tell you with the stores here .lol. I'm not really a fan of CFL's and haven't bothered to pay attention to what the stores have/don't have...

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: CFL already gone from the mass market? « Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 05:49:49 PM » Author: AngryHorse
CFL depletion hasn`t quite hit the UK stores yet, I was in B+Q Manchester the other day, (getting 2 4000K, 1500 lumen LED lamps), and theres just as many CFL still on the shelves as there are LED, but I am noticing less and less people using CFL about today.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: CFL already gone from the mass market? « Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 06:22:23 PM » Author: Rommie

CFL depletion hasn`t quite hit the UK stores yet, I was in B+Q Manchester the other day, (getting 2 4000K, 1500 lumen LED lamps), and theres just as many CFL still on the shelves as there are LED, but I am noticing less and less people using CFL about today.
There are still a few in our local Morrisons, but the shelves are mainly LED with a fair few halogens.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: CFL already gone from the mass market? « Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 07:24:49 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I think there are still some of the fancy looking ones for sale in John Lewis that cost a fortune.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: CFL already gone from the mass market? « Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 02:07:46 AM » Author: Silverliner
Home Depot and Lowes still carry CFLs in 40-100w equivalents, but they're restricted to like just one shelf and placed where shoppers barely notice. There are more halogens and LEDs on the shelves now.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies