Author Topic: Who still keeps their dead fluorescent tubes?  (Read 1432 times)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Who still keeps their dead fluorescent tubes? « on: January 12, 2018, 07:50:42 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
I do and I think I have about half dead and half working if not that more dead tubes

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who still keeps their dead fluorescent tubes? « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:33:09 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
why, what's the point. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Who still keeps their dead fluorescent tubes? « Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:59:43 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Last time we saw inside the cupboard that has the main fuse for the building there must have been about 20 or 30 dead and broken fluorescent tubes lying in the bottom.  :o

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Who still keeps their dead fluorescent tubes? « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 06:09:44 PM » Author: Rommie

Last time we saw inside the cupboard that has the main fuse for the building there must have been about 20 or 30 dead and broken fluorescent tubes lying in the bottom.
 :o
Yes, no idea why they just dump them in there  ???

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Who still keeps their dead fluorescent tubes? « Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:28:05 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
If they're F40's with one bad filament & will still half work on a LPF RS ballast, I'll run them til the other filament goes out.

Anything that still has vacuum goes in the "to be fried" pile...those will eventually be finished off with an instant-start electronic ballast .lol. because its fun :) & some of the EOL shows will end up as YouTube vid's..

Anything that's lost vacuum...as far as I'm concerned its garbage, why keep it around...so it goes in the "to be recycled" pile.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Who still keeps their dead fluorescent tubes? « Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 06:36:00 PM » Author: Rommie

If they're F40's with one bad filament & will still half work on a LPF RS ballast, I'll run them til the other filament goes out.
They're these:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Who still keeps their dead fluorescent tubes? « Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 07:06:49 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I usually smash the dead ones, don't give a rats arse if its unsafe, I find it amusing.  ;D I see no use in dead lamps, Unless it still flickers a little bit I usually get rid of it, and this applies to all dead lamps unless they're really rare..
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:15:20 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Who still keeps their dead fluorescent tubes? « Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 08:30:41 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
That's a cool little light MissRiaElaine! Would love to find something like that here 8)

Since those little 8w lamps are generally Preheat/Switchstart ballasts, I keep them for frying at EOL.
One time I finished one off on a VHO ballast...think 1500ma through a lamp that's meant for what? something less than 300ma? ... the 3000k lamp got so hot it went closer to 6500k :o LOL

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Who still keeps their dead fluorescent tubes? « Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 03:46:16 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I usually smash the dead ones, don't give a rats arse if its unsafe, I find it amusing.  ;D I see no use in dead lamps, Unless it still flickers a little bit I usually get rid of it, and this applies to all dead lamps unless they're really rare..

HomeBrewLamps, I do that sometimes!

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Who still keeps their dead fluorescent tubes? « Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 03:58:53 PM » Author: Rommie

The way I see it is that if a lamp breaks or dies and it can easily be replaced, out it goes, but if not it's kept.

One of the two 1955 Philips HPL lamps I bought from the Canadian eBay seller arrived damaged in transit (a piece of glass had broken from the stem and had rattled around scratching the phosphor  :(), the seller replaced it but I am keeping the damaged one as a display lamp. The two good ones will be kept in a very safe place (although not so safe I can't find them again  :D) and only one of those will be lit regularly, the other will be kept unused.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Who still keeps their dead fluorescent tubes? « Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 04:40:33 PM » Author: Lodge
Nope not a one, every burnt out light goes to recycle, and some that are still working and I no longer have a use for go to the re-store to be sold to another user or collector.. Doing this allows me to have room for the next neat thing I find, I like using lights as intended not so much collecting them, I can count on one hand the number of lights I keep and don't use, and they are mainly sentimental value, I've had them since I was a young kid...   
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies