Author Topic: Glare Shields  (Read 1465 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Glare Shields « on: January 12, 2018, 05:06:33 PM » Author: wattMaster
I want to install a new light fixture on a pole in our yard, and I have a NEMA head that would work well. However, my parents want to install a "residential" fixture because the neighbor's house is right next to the installation spot. Should I install the residential fixture or try to create a glare shield for the bucket light?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Glare Shields « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 07:12:16 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Really just boils down to whether you are motivated enough to actually set up a bucket light, How much do you want it? if you really want a bucket light up there so bad than by all means do it, you could probably spraypaint half the refractor black so it does not go into their yard. or if you're worried about efficiency, they make silver spraypaint aswell as gold and copper.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Glare Shields « Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:23:30 PM » Author: sol
Years ago, Westinghouse (and I believe others) offered, as an option, a snap-in metal reflector for the bucket refractors. There were several of these some time ago around here, but they were of a previous style, MV and long gone. I've seen some that are spray painted, and I guess it does the job but not very elegantly. If you can find some suitable sheet metal and a method to bend/cut it, it could work. I believe the Westy ones et al. were aluminium or some other non-rusting material.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Glare Shields « Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 05:03:25 AM » Author: Ash
If the intended pool of light is directly under the lantern, then mayvbe try this : Remove the ballast from the bucket light and install a remote ballast. Then replace the lamp socket as deep as it goes inside the empty bucket, so that the lamp (or the arctube, if you use a clear lamp) is completely above the Aluminum reflector line. The refractor will still throw some light around but it will be fairly minor
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Glare Shields « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 06:33:13 AM » Author: funkybulb
AEL still make them they called Shycap for seires 11 street light

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Glare Shields « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 08:37:16 PM » Author: Lodge
I would just go ask the person next door and ask if they mind if there is some extra light back there at night, they might not have any issues with it...
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Glare Shields « Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 08:43:12 PM » Author: sol
That's what I did. No glare shield required. Later on, I asked my neighbour again, and he repeated that it didn't bother him. Furthermore, it acts as a night light in his hallway.

A few years later, another neighbour that is quite far away (about 500-600 feet), told me that my streetlight shines in his bathroom, eliminating the need to turn on lights when he gets up at night. He even asked, joking, of course, if he could wire up a UPS to it so it would light the way to his bathroom during power outages (this was a few days after an outage).

As for the other neighbours, they moved in after my light was installed and they never have complained.

I do know, however, that some people don't take it so kindly to light trespass on their property.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Glare Shields « Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 10:16:23 PM » Author: wattMaster
Now they don't want to install the bucket light because it's "industrial" and not suitable for historic areas, but that doesn't make any sense, because almost nobody will notice. Any advice?

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Glare Shields « Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 10:21:23 PM » Author: Lodge
Now they don't want to install the bucket light because it's "industrial" and not suitable for historic areas, but that doesn't make any sense, because almost nobody will notice. Any advice?

Radial wave ? (I've always like those fixtures, they combine both industrial and vintage all in one.)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Glare Shields « Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 10:24:57 PM » Author: wattMaster
Radial wave ? (I've always like those fixtures, they combine both industrial and vintage all in one.)
Problem is, they want something more fancy and radial waves are hard to find.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Glare Shields « Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 06:12:00 AM » Author: Ash
Dont install it on the wall. Install it on a pole that stands on a weighted down base, i.e. the entire thing is a portable appliance
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Glare Shields « Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 08:44:00 AM » Author: wattMaster
I ended up installing one of my bucket lights, but it's shining into the house.. What are some good ways to make a glare shield?

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Glare Shields « Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 07:21:21 PM » Author: Lodge
A thin aluminum sheet bent inside the bucket so you don't affect the look of the bucket, and a bit of double sided foam to hold it in place and once you get it where you like you can either glue it or drill a small hole in the bucket and bolt it in place and if you don't want to damage the fixture, you could use the double sided foam on the top and few small bulldog clips on the bottom, you'll see them but they are easy to remove later in life same with the foam just some hot water and soap and a little scrubbing..

Or you could just close the curtains..   
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies