Author Topic: Streetlights or Darkness  (Read 4630 times)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Streetlights or Darkness « on: January 22, 2018, 08:49:18 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
Many parts in Colorado are street lit in some ways. Denver is lit up with mostly HPS, but I live in Aspen, CO and the drive is too far
Point is Would you ever drive at night with streetlights or nothing at all

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 01:12:53 PM » Author: Medved
It depends.
Inadequate streetlight design is mostly worse than no street light at all, in many places the car headlights are good enough.
Outside dense city (no pedestrians,...):
On roads without direction division with dense traffic, so when you can not use high beam due to opposite traffic, the streetlights may help.
On divided roads or with so light traffic so you may use high beam all the time, it is in most cases better to have no streetlights at all.

Inside city, where a lot of pedestrians are walking around, the the street lighting gets more "favor" points, mainly when a strong opposite traffic gives off strong headlights glare (all vehicles together, not speaking about misaligned ones).

What is quite a problem are sudden transitions from brightly lit sections to completely dark ones and back. These are the worst spots - a lot of glare (I'm talking only about the glare coming from the illuminated road itself, not from a poor lantern optics), but not much visibility. Gradual transitions are (according to my view) really a must, a system dimming the light level according to the traffic is very strong plus (it provides enough illumination against oncoming headlights with heavy traffic, but does not make that much glare at light traffic hours), but it is not so often installed.

No more selfballasted c***

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 01:14:19 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Denver is quickly converting over to LED. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 05:38:08 PM » Author: Rommie

Tell me somewhere that isn't  :'( >:(

I don't drive much these days, but when I do, I prefer SOX or HPS lighting, I detest driving under LED's. But even they are better than no lighting at all, I find driving on completely unlit roads at night very tiring.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 06:43:04 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
When driving at night it is far better to get illumination from a source that gives you optimum visual acuity. As drivers we don't need to see colours vividly, we should all know the sequence at traffic signals so that's not a factor. So daylight spectrum LED street lights are not the driver's friend. To my way of thinking they can hamper their vision by distracting it through glare. So sodium lighting is the way to go for me.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 06:44:55 PM » Author: Rommie
So sodium lighting is the way to go for me.
Especially as SOX in particular gives light at the very point in the spectrum where the human eye is at its most sensitive.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 09:39:01 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: RyanF40T12
I've noticed that in the surrounding areas - for main streets, not in neighborhoods.
(I'll just believe you on the city itself since I don't go there often)

Where I live there's still allot of HPS in use, but all the main & semi-main roads have been being converted to LED (I don't expect it to happen on neighborhood streets anytime soon though)

I noticed something last night: a cloudy night, and after a snowstorm - (exactly when skyglow is the brightest)...
The orange 'nuclear waste' glow (as some call it .lol. ) in the sky is now not as orange as it used to be :-\\

---------

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 10:03:09 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I've noticed that in the surrounding areas - for main streets, not in neighborhoods.
(I'll just believe you on the city itself since I don't go there often)

Where I live there's still allot of HPS in use, but all the main & semi-main roads have been being converted to LED (I don't expect it to happen on neighborhood streets anytime soon though)

I noticed something last night: a cloudy night, and after a snowstorm - (exactly when skyglow is the brightest)...
The orange 'nuclear waste' glow (as some call it .lol. ) in the sky is now not as orange as it used to be :-\\

---------

Thats Unfortunate...

I like the nuclear waste glow.... around here it is still very much orange...

as for the question at hand... I tend to be a night roamer, I take dark back paths on my night rides, I don't usually use flashlights with me into the woods or abandoned places and I Don't mind dark places in general, even if they'd usually be deemed "Scary" For instance the abandoned factory, I have been to, at night alone, my friends think I'm a nutter for that (probable)... I like the dark, Although I am also a lighting enthusiast, so this question causes internal conflict at a very deep level.....

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 07:03:51 PM » Author: nicksfans
I like streetlights when I'm walking out in public at night, but I'd rather live in an area with no streetlights.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 08:07:44 PM » Author: CEB1993
I like streetlights when I'm walking out in public at night, but I'd rather live in an area with no streetlights.

I agree with you Nick.  When I'm downtown, I feel much safer walking and parking my car in well lit areas.  However, at home I would prefer not having streetlights nearby, so I can sleep well at night and not have to deal with bright white HID or LED light shining in my windows. 

At my college, I always had bright metal halide lights from the parking lot and nearby sidewalks shining in my windows at night.  I bought some blackout curtains and they did the trick ;D

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 05:34:28 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Where I live there are SOX street lights nearby. I like living near them as the monochromatic light is rather unobtrusive at home, yet I can easily see my cars without having to the turn on the lights at the front of the house.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 07:54:32 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Where I live there are SOX street lights nearby. I like living near them as the monochromatic light is rather unobtrusive at home, yet I can easily see my cars without having to the turn on the lights at the front of the house.
I totally agree, the soft glow of sodium lighting is the best for residential areas as they don't disrupt the circadian rhythms of humans and animals like the LED lights do.
In fact sodium lighting is best all round.  :)

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 08:07:37 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
I totally agree, the soft glow of sodium lighting is the best for residential areas as they don't disrupt the circadian rhythms of humans and animals like the LED lights do.
In fact sodium lighting is best all round.  :)

In fact, I rather drive under SOX than any other light source at night. It's easier on the eyes to me. :)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 08:17:52 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
In fact, I rather drive under SOX than any other light source at night. It's easier on the eyes to me. :)
We agree on that as well.!!

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Streetlights or Darkness « Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 08:33:53 AM » Author: Rommie
We agree on that as well.!!
Absolutely :D

Our bedroom window doesn't face the main street, but there is a post-top lantern out there with an HPS lamp in it, but it's not positioned so that we get much light from it. We have a roller blind on the window anyway. The main street outside is HPS lit, we can but hope it stays that way for as long as possible, the LEDisease is spreading fast  >:( :'(

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies