Author Topic: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide  (Read 52331 times)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 03:38:28 PM » Author: Medved
I remember values around 10..30mg for MV, 3..10mg for CMH (both depend on exact type) of ~6..8klumen output range (125W MV, 70W CMH).
But for MH the mercury amount would strongly depend on used fill mix. I believe, then probe-start Na-Sc will have higher mercury content (similar size arctube as in MV, but higher pressure), but new CMH's use way less mercury then MV's, mainly as the mercury is not anymore the main light emitting substance, but play "only" a support role (startup, arc stabilisation, atmosphere "solvent" in high pressure mode,...).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:54:04 PM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 05:12:01 AM » Author: dor123
HPS and MV lamps both have 24,000 hours rated life. But MV lamps failure mechnism is failing to ignite (Like the fluorescents) as the electrodes becomes deplated emmiter, while the HPS lamps failure mechnism is cycling as the increase voltage during life in them is cause not by the electrodes emitter depleting but by sodium loss from the arctube that is usually accurs before the electrodes reaches EOL. Like MV lamps HPS can also survive for >10 years, as accured for example in the former HPS lamp in the Thorn Pilote fixture that pointing to my mother home (The lamp just stop from operating when reached EOL and not cycled at all).
Also MH lamps have a shorter life then the MV lamps as the electrodes of the MH lamps have a more stressing on them because the higher loading of the arctube (This is the reason why the electrodes glows a bright yellowish white light after a MH lamp is turned on).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:09:02 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Lumalux

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex's World of Christmas Lights!

Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 10:40:01 PM » Author: Lumalux
I like the color of many MH lamps because they are warmer and have a higher CRI.  They can really improve the atmosphere of downtown and streetscapes when used in conventional street lighting fixtures.

However, the color varies so much, depending on age of the lamp and also by manufacturer.  They look great when they are new but turn blue and dim with age and of course can explode at EOL if not regularly turned off for periods.

MV color is much more constant over the life of the lamp and the change is more gradual.  SV lamps don't seem to change in color with age but they begin to cycle at EOL.
bluelights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 11:45:29 AM » Author: bluelights
yes, I hate it when there are discolored MH lamps more than anything else :P

"The orange cloud looks like floating nuclear waste."
Save the mercury lamp

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 06:12:23 PM » Author: streetlight98
Personally, i preferr MV :)

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 05:41:20 PM » Author: Lumex120
For streetlighting there is one feature MV's would not meet: Point-like light source except uncoated types (but these are really not efficent).
If you want to send the light into required pattern with high efficiency, your optics has to be much larger then your light source. To have reasonable size lantern, you need really small area source, so why MH win there.

I know that this is a really old topic, but there is something I would like to add; I have noticed that cobraheads using coated lamps provide smoother illumination that isn't very shadow-y. With clear lamps, the illumination isn't very even. This is the same with LED fixtures.

Unofficial LG Discord

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 08:09:04 PM » Author: streetlight98
Yes, coated lamps will always provide smoother distribution, at the sacrifice of lumens (except for /DX MV, which gets more lumens from the coating). This is the whole purpose behind "soft white" incandescent lamps, because shadows are "softer" and the light is less harsh. Coated HPS and MH lamps are used when a more diffused, even light is desired and slight loss of lumens is not minded.

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 01:00:48 AM » Author: tolivac
For MV lamps the phosphor coatings can actually increase light output and improve color reproduction.On HPS lamps the coating does reduce the light output.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 09:31:41 AM » Author: Medved
For MV lamps the phosphor coatings can actually increase light output and improve color reproduction.On HPS lamps the coating does reduce the light output.

But the diffuse light does not allows the optics to be made as efficient as the bare arctube allows, so when measured towards the usable light output (that contributing to reach certain minimum illumination level) you can not reach as high system efficacy as with clear lamp.
But that does not mean all lanterns using clear lamps (or LED's) really do shape the beam efficiently, it really depends on the actual lantern design and compromises to be taken...

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 07:27:25 PM » Author: Rommie
I know this is a really old topic, but this section caught my eye:

And Dark Sky, they favor the usage of ugly yellow-orange light to white light?  Makes no sense at all.  Light pollution in an orange color is more of a pollutant than that from a white light (and go figure--clouds are white.)  Why make the sky look like orange sherbet?  ???

Now I happen to like sodium lighting, but that isn't the point. The reason Dark Sky (and any astronomer for that matter) prefer sodium light is because it is easier to filter out in telescopes and so makes astronomical observation much easier. See here for details.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 07:33:40 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I know this is a really old topic, but this section caught my eye:

Now I happen to like sodium lighting, but that isn't the point. The reason Dark Sky (and any astronomer for that matter) prefer sodium light is because it is easier to filter out in telescopes and so makes astronomical observation much easier. See here for details.

Plus the orange light does not affect Wildlife as much as the white light does.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 08:03:24 PM » Author: streetlight98
Were there really issues with wildlife being affected by white light, say form MV lamps, before the days of HPS? Other than sea turtles I was never aware of any major wildlife issues caused by white light at night. And who cares about astronomers. :D Never understood the whole big deal about space exploration personally. We need to sort out our own issues here on earth before we start causing issues on other planets... ::)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 08:09:20 PM » Author: Rommie
It's actually LPS lamps that astronomers prefer, as it is monochromatic it is far easier to filter out when viewing the sky.

You may not care about them, but it is a valid science. There are many amateur astronomers out there too, their hobby is just as valid as any of ours. Astronomy isn't just about space exploration, there is much that can be learnt from observing the galaxy that can be of benefit to us here. See this article for just a few examples.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 08:10:20 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl

Were there really issues with wildlife being affected by white light, say form MV lamps, before the days of HPS? Other than sea turtles I was never aware of any major wildlife issues caused by white light at night. And who cares about astronomers. :D Never understood the whole big deal about space exploration personally. We need to sort out our own issues here on earth before we start causing issues on other planets... ::)

Astronomy is important because we can find out how things happened here millions of years ago, and hopefully stop the big environmental issues that are affecting our planet, like the loss of proper diurnal habitats for the wildlife.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Mercury Vapor vs Metal Halide « Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 09:09:17 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
http://www.earthisland.org/journal/index.php/elist/eListRead/led_streetlights_save_energy_but_could_have_some_serious_side_effects/

https://m.phys.org/news/2017-02-major-impact-wildlife.html

http://www.darksky.org/why-is-blue-light-at-night-bad/

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies