Return to the thumbnail page Display/hide file information See next file

Smoked and shorted Yung Li electric cable of an electric kettle in my Hostel

Smoked and shorted Yung Li electric cable of an electric kettle in my Hostel

Click to view full size image

When I played Sonic World in my computer, suddenly the electricity went out and my UPS began beeping for several sec, than shut down. I went out to smell liquefied petroleum gas in the kitchen. When the tutor opened the electrical closest, he saw the main circuit breaker tripped. He flipped it and there was arcing and the breaker tripped again. He turned off few breakers and flipped the main breaker successfully. Than he notices this:


The cable of our electric kettle overheated, smoked and shorted.


And this occur despite there is a SII mark on the plug and VDE mark on the cable itself, and both aren't generic, since the manufacturers (Yung Li, China) appears on both of them.

IMG_20190816_104113 resized.jpg IMG_20190723_094334 resized.jpg IMG_8662.JPG IMG_8580.JPG

File information

File information

Download: Download this File
Filename:IMG_20190816_104113 resized.jpg
Album name:dor123 / Miscellaneous electricity
Keywords:Miscellaneous
File Size:584 KB
Date added:Aug 16, 2019
Dimensions:1248 x 936 pixels
Displayed:55 times
Date Time:2019:08:16 10:41:13
DateTime Original:2019:08:16 10:41:13
Exposure Bias:0 EV
Exposure Time:40001/1000000 sec
FNumber:f 2.2
Flash:No Flash
Focal length:3.79 mm
ISO:858
Make:Xiaomi
Model:Redmi 6A
Software:MediaTek Camera Application
White Balance:0
URL:https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-163258
Favorites:Add to Favorites
Comments
Ash
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Posts: 3613
View Gallery


View Profile Personal Message (Offline)
Aug 16, 2019 at 01:57 AM Author: Ash
I think what really happened is that the cable got charred in this place from getting into the stove once, and this eventually progressed into an isolation arc tracking
dor123
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 2522
View Gallery
Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs


View Profile WWW Personal Message (Offline)
Aug 16, 2019 at 02:06 AM Author: dor123
This is what the tutor that working in my hostel now, thought as well.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the European date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 230-240V, 50hz country.

rjluna2
Sr. Member
****
Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 283
View Gallery

Robert


GoL
View Profile Personal Message (Offline)
Aug 16, 2019 at 10:28 AM Author: rjluna2
Yikes

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Ash
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Posts: 3613
View Gallery


View Profile Personal Message (Offline)
Aug 16, 2019 at 10:39 AM Author: Ash
The simplest proper way to repair this (without making a nasty splice and without having to solder), would be to cut up the cable around the bad spot, and fit a plug and extension cable receptacle to the remaining ends - Making it into a kettle base with short cable + an extension cable made from the rest of the cable

With kettle cables being typically 0.75 mm2, such extension cable will be able to handle continuous load of about 6A or short term load of up to 10A for a minute or so (such as when using the kettle)
Lightingguy1994
Sr. Member
****
Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 395
View Gallery

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)
Aug 16, 2019 at 06:18 PM Author: Lightingguy1994
I would probably just buy a new kettle for safety reasons
© 2005-2019 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by: Coppermine Photo Gallery