Author Topic: The "New" CRI scale  (Read 587 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
The "New" CRI scale « on: May 22, 2022, 08:48:07 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I've noticed a few people on other parts of the internet mentioning a "new CRI scale" this sounds like BS to me. Can anybody shine some light on what these people are talking about?

I see no mention anywhere of any new CRI scale.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: The "New" CRI scale « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 12:52:29 PM » Author: nogden
I wonder if they're talking about extended CRI or Ra:
https://www.waveformlighting.com/tech/what-is-the-difference-between-cri-and-ra
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: The "New" CRI scale « Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 01:13:11 PM » Author: dor123
This article saying that light quality is defined by CRI, which is of course, false.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The "New" CRI scale « Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 02:00:30 PM » Author: Rommie
Light "quality" is subjective. What you consider good quality light I might not, or vice versa. You can't define quality with a scale. Well I don't think so, anyway. I think SOX light is excellent quality, but most people probably wouldn't agree. That doesn't make them or me right or wrong, though.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The "New" CRI scale « Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 03:31:10 PM » Author: Medved
Well, to me the generic term "quality" alone does not represent anything exact. It could have to some extent meaning as "how well it fulfills the requirements". The fact the requirements vary among applications (some property is important for some use and totally irrelevant for other and so on) means the "quality" can  never have universal meaning. So statements like "excellent quality" or "the best quality" are to me nothing more than a marketing BS...

For the "extended CRI" and the description someone posted one chapter I see as the most important: The "Lost in translation". Is clearly states a seemingly same parameter may mean something totally different when you speak with someone in other part of the world or in other industry. They mention "In US the CRI is used as general CRI (R1-8), but in EU and china as extended CRI (R1-14)". Personally not that much sure if the EU really uses extdnded CRI for general lighting, but it has definitely the potential to create a lot of confusions.
In other words the same lamp may get different rating on each side of the pond.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies