Author Topic: What can I do with an LPS arctube?  (Read 441 times)
LightbulbManiac

View Posts
View Gallery

LightbulbManiac

What can I do with an LPS arctube? « on: May 04, 2024, 08:54:57 AM » Author: LightbulbManiac
Yesterday an unused UK-made 90W SLP Sylvania LPS with a very damaged outer jacket was given to me for free from a store,
and I removed the tube from the cracked, (lost vacuum and missing pieces) outer jacket.
The tube itself still has vacuum and glows. Any ideas what should I do with it?
(For example, should I have it running like a decorative neon tube or just have it around for experiments like tesla coils etc.)?
Any ideas?  :wndr: :a_sox:

I'm not a big fan of led bulbs since they're the cause of other COOLER technology types being phased out....

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What can I do with an LPS arctube? « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 02:03:30 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
If you hook it up to a neon sign transformer, it will glow deep red (neon) or sometimes purple (argon). You can use it as a decoration, moodlight or nightlight based on brightness.

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
One of the only Indian members here!
245v 50Hz

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What can I do with an LPS arctube? « Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 05:59:00 AM » Author: AngryHorse
The problem here is how stupid hot they get  :o, I once ran a 90watt SOX tube outside on a concrete flag, I ran it for about 2 hours, then dumped it into a bucket of cold water just to see what would happen?
The resulting explosion set off next doors car alarm, a blew shards of red hot glass into my leg!  :poof:

I really wouldn’t advise running it out of its jacket to be honest?,
Speaking from experience!  8;)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What can I do with an LPS arctube? « Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 11:36:55 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ Rich: Oops...  :poof:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What can I do with an LPS arctube? « Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 01:10:54 PM » Author: Rommie
Photon knows what to do with these..! One time we were there he blew up an EOL 90W lamp where one of the electrodes had detached and was rattling around inside the arc tube. Not only did it go bang and catch fire but the ceramic lampholder was destroyed as well  :poof:  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What can I do with an LPS arctube? « Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 05:28:31 AM » Author: Laurens
That's not completely unexpected, heh. The glass will burst because of the thermal shock. Then the sodium will condense because of the return to atmospheric pressure. Then the near boiling hot mist of sodium droplets will react with the water. BANG!

At work we sometimes throw a chunk of solid sodium into the canal outside our school. It's spectacular and a much sharper detonation than common firecrackers.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What can I do with an LPS arctube? « Reply #6 on: May 10, 2024, 01:47:08 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Oh yes, I've chucked a large chunk, what was left of the year's supply, into the school swimming pool.  :poof:
That was impressive... The water spout hit the ceiling, and some tiles at the bottom of the pool cracked.  :mrg:

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: What can I do with an LPS arctube? « Reply #7 on: May 10, 2024, 03:03:52 PM » Author: RRK
A guy on youtube recently researched why sodium actually explodes on contact with water. It is sure 150+ years old school demo reaction, but no one knew what is going on in the exact details.  It turned out that there are some wicked physics behind this, and not, it is not hydrogen that explodes. Actually, if sodium reacts with the water  as a chunk, is shall not explode as contact area is rather low. He found that after sodium melts on a slow reaction, it suddenly forms multiple spikes on the sodium-water interface, increasing contact area multiple orders of 10's. And then reaction goes much faster explosion-like. It is not well understood why the spikes are formed, probably because of electric field (!) generated by Na-H2O reaction itself.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: What can I do with an LPS arctube? « Reply #8 on: May 10, 2024, 04:02:29 PM » Author: RRK
https://cen.acs.org/articles/93/web/2015/01/Sodium-Potassium-Really-Explode-Water.html

Andy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What can I do with an LPS arctube? « Reply #9 on: May 10, 2024, 04:11:44 PM » Author: Andy
I've got a lovely big chunk of Na that's sitting happily in a container of oil but I am planning on demonstrating the reaction to my daughter later this year by dropping a piece of it into the river from a bridge one evening when the river is fast flowing. I don't feel comfortable making NaOH when the river is not fast flowing as I have no intention of harming any wildlife.

I'm always interested in exchanging lamps with others. Send me a message if you would be interested in a trade. :)

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What can I do with an LPS arctube? « Reply #10 on: May 10, 2024, 04:48:41 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Fortunately there was no wildlife in the swimming pool...  :mrg:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What can I do with an LPS arctube? « Reply #11 on: May 10, 2024, 06:34:41 PM » Author: Rommie
What, not even any kids..?  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What can I do with an LPS arctube? « Reply #12 on: May 10, 2024, 06:47:13 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I remember my school mate Alistair putting some in a plastic Coke bottle containing vinegar, in his dad’s shed one weekend!
He put a pea sized lump in, then screwed the lid on tightly………

……..it blew the window out of the shed!  @-@

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What can I do with an LPS arctube? « Reply #13 on: May 10, 2024, 06:48:57 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
What did your mate's dad do to him..?  :poof:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What can I do with an LPS arctube? « Reply #14 on: May 10, 2024, 06:51:48 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Luckily they were on holiday at the time, and we got another piece!  ;D

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies