Author Topic: Goodbye, Ubuntu!  (Read 1706 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Goodbye, Ubuntu! « on: June 24, 2023, 01:20:34 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I have been having lots of driver related issues with Ubuntu lately, so I have decided to use Fedora instead!
If anybody else has had trouble with Ubuntu before, please tell me about it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 04:39:26 PM by HIDLad001 » Logged

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu! « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 05:48:37 PM » Author: AZTECH
Ubuntu wasn't too bad for me but it did certainly help me more understanding the Linux software world. Still much better than MS Window 10 or 11.

I am using older MS win 10 and probably the last I will use it. After that MS Win 11 are too evil.

https://jeff.pro/microsoft-adds-mandatory-system-wide-artificial-intelligence-engine-windows-copilot-to-windows-11-promising-helpfulness-exactly-how-will-your-data-be-analyzed/

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu! « Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 06:32:50 PM » Author: HIDLad001
UPDATE: Fedora just isn't working out for me. All the Linux distros are using the same garbage Wi-Fi drivers, so I might just go back to Windows.

Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu! « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 06:58:55 PM » Author: Rommie
Sorry to hear that. I've been using Fedora since version 10, and we're now on 38 (although I've still to upgrade from 37, I usually leave it until other people have worked out the bugs..!)

I don't like Ubuntu, or any of the Debian-based distros, the command line structure is different from what I'm used to and the security isn't as good as Fedora. My view is that if Fedora is good enough for Linus Torvalds, who developed the Linux kernel, then it's good enough for me  ;D

I don't really know much about wifi drivers, I rarely use wifi at all, I tend to connect everything with Ethernet cables, I don't trust the security of a wireless connection.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu! « Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 01:20:58 AM » Author: RRK
UPDATE: Fedora just isn't working out for me. All the Linux distros are using the same garbage Wi-Fi drivers, so I might just go back to Windows.

Sometimes it is worth moving to some better supported hardware instead. In my experience, Intel WiFi chips have better (stable) driver under Linux, as do their graphic chips.
Atheros driver on the other side, has some irritating timeouts built-in, and tends to hang when the system goes to sleep. Quite unexpected, as Atheros chips are very widespread. Linux drivers for popular hardware usually tend to be rather polished.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 01:28:22 AM by RRK » Logged
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu! « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 04:44:12 AM » Author: dor123
I continue to use Windows, to prevent me from stress in converting all of my software to Linux and use Wine, which may be hard to use with video games.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu! « Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 06:44:11 AM » Author: HIDLad001
Sometimes it is worth moving to some better supported hardware instead. In my experience, Intel WiFi chips have better (stable) driver under Linux, as do their graphic chips.
Atheros driver on the other side, has some irritating timeouts built-in, and tends to hang when the system goes to sleep. Quite unexpected, as Atheros chips are very widespread. Linux drivers for popular hardware usually tend to be rather polished.
I was actually using an Intel Wifi card (a Centrino Ultimate-N 6300) that came with my ThinkPad X230, and the drivers that came with Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and Fedora were all the same and didn't work well with dropouts and slow speeds.
And it is not my antenna that is bad because the Wifi works well for about 3 minutes after the computer is switched on.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 06:48:46 AM by HIDLad001 » Logged

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu! « Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 08:51:50 AM » Author: Rommie
Like I said, I don't use wireless connections unless I have no option, such as when I'm away on a trip, hotel rooms don't tend to have Ethernet sockets here, unfortunately.

Even with the laptops, when at home we plug them in, we fitted RJ45 sockets next to the bed  ;D

When we have used wifi, we've never really had any problems, although the cellular modem can be a bit flaky sometimes.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu! « Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 01:17:21 PM » Author: marcopete87
I have been having lots of driver related issues with Ubuntu lately, so I have decided to use Fedora instead!
If anybody else has had trouble with Ubuntu before, please tell me about it.
I had years ago some issues with drivers (Mepis linux in 2004-2005).
However, which kind of issues you are experiencing?
What missing driver is causing issues?
Have you enabled non free rpm/apt packages?
merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu! « Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 05:07:28 PM » Author: merc
Your Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 should be in Linux natively supported by Intel.
Do you use it in the 5GHz mode? Switching from 2.4GHz to 5GHz a couple of years ago helped a lot.
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu! « Reply #10 on: June 27, 2023, 07:43:56 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I have decided to wait it out and go back to Windows until the next version of Ubuntu LTS comes out in 2024. The driver issues will probably be fixed then.

AZTECH

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu! « Reply #11 on: June 28, 2023, 01:32:32 AM » Author: AZTECH
Ah your just a rookie.  ::)  Actually, real Ubuntu user they have to find right driver one of repository list.   

I agreed with Rommie, the Ethernet sockets much better and much harder to get hacked from few nerds local neighbor they who have big BUD satellite to sniff and hack in your broadcast wifi signal. :poof:
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu! « Reply #12 on: June 28, 2023, 02:55:56 AM » Author: HIDLad001
I would much prefer a wired internet connection as well, but the whole point of a laptop is being able to go places with it. A future project might be to install CAT5e Ethernet to my room where my desktop computer and ThinkPad docking station is.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu! « Reply #13 on: June 28, 2023, 07:54:10 AM » Author: Rommie
We mainly use the laptops in bed, so I installed sockets either side, see here. When we're away we have little choice but to use wifi, but I can't say we've had any problems, apart from the painfully slow connections you always get from hotel wifi  ::)

Oh, I strongly recommend using a VPN, especially on public systems. You don't know who's out there... >:D

Oh yes, Cat5e is way out of date, you really need Cat6, I think Cat7 is around now as well, but we use 6 here. Got a good deal on a full drum of low-smoke cable  :)

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Goodbye, Ubuntu! « Reply #14 on: June 28, 2023, 08:14:22 AM » Author: HIDLad001
All the existing equipment in my house is CAT5e though.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies