Author Topic: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here?  (Read 1794 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « on: August 26, 2023, 05:56:40 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I have always been fascinated by the common, yet intriguing device known as the watthour meter (AKA the electricity meter). It first started out by just watching electromechanical meters spin (or the digital ones cycle through their readings), then it evolved to me watching videos and researching about the meters, then to me getting my first meter (a GE I-50-A from 1958). I look to get more meters, some even from other countries!

Due to my autistic nature, I have had many odd interests, but so far the only ones that have stuck are metering and lighting.

Does anyone else share this interest about meters / collect them, or am I the only one? Please tell me!

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 12:09:14 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 While I don't collect them , I do own one . I found it inside a former exterior wall in my house during remodeling . I still have it somewhere .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

J.D.

View Posts
View Gallery
Electrician for 21 years

Re: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 01:20:09 AM » Author: J.D.
I'm still working on getting those pages and schematics from my book uploaded for you.
I didn't forget it's just spare time is difficult to come by lately.

Fed up with American politics, AKA excuse after excuse...

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 08:46:13 AM » Author: HIDLad001
While I don't collect them , I do own one . I found it inside a former exterior wall in my house during remodeling . I still have it somewhere .

Inisde your wall??? Could you post a picture of it?

I'm still working on getting those pages and schematics from my book uploaded for you.
I didn't forget it's just spare time is difficult to come by lately.

Thanks! I knew you wouldn't forget.

Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 09:37:37 AM » Author: joseph_125
Nice meter, I don't really collect them but I do have this modern Invensys VCON-II watt-hour meter in my stuff.

I don't plane to have a full collection of them but I do want to track down an older meter with the spinning disk. Preferably a Westinghouse Canada one as that's what my house had before they switch to smart meters.
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 12:37:37 PM » Author: HIDLad001
There are some Canadian General Electric meters on eBay here. you might also want to check out this seller's other items, he has quite the selection of meters! All have been fully tested and calibrated as well.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 09:55:16 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I'll post a pic once I figure out where I put it . As for inside the wall , The wall it was mounted on was originally an exterior wall . When my house was expanded , and the outside became inside, a new electric service was installed and the old service along with the meter was closed up with a nice new wall as it was easier than removing all of the old siding , meter , fixing old window openings , etc .

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 12:31:47 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I'm not one but I do have a ABB mechanical one given to me by a LG member. I find it pretty cool.

I don't plan to have a collection of them either. I know they're boring but I might get a modern one in the future.
J.D.

View Posts
View Gallery
Electrician for 21 years

Re: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 01:15:12 AM » Author: J.D.
I'd like to have an older GE mechanical one with the spinning disc because that's what was used in the house that I grew up in.
Especially one from 1978, that's when the house was built.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 10:15:25 AM » Author: HIDLad001
, and the outside became inside, a new electric service was installed and the old service along with the meter was closed up with a nice new wall as it was easier than removing all of the old siding , meter , fixing old window openings , etc .

I wonder how much the power company made you pay to just abandon their meter in the wall, or was it part of the cost of the new electric service?

I don't plan to have a collection of them either. I know they're boring but I might get a modern one in the future.

The Elster A1RL+ would probably be a good meter to get, because they look cooler than most of the other digital meters, and they do all sorts of wonderful power consumption measurements, including maximum demand (most kilowatts drawn), kVArh (kilo volt-amp reactive hours), and of course normal kWh.

I'd like to have an older GE mechanical one with the spinning disc because that's what was used in the house that I grew up in.
Especially one from 1978, that's when the house was built.

Does this look right? I don’t know if it is from 1978, but it is worth looking.

J.D.

View Posts
View Gallery
Electrician for 21 years

Re: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « Reply #10 on: August 28, 2023, 08:54:31 PM » Author: J.D.
Not exactly. The one I'm looking for doesn't have the odometer.
Instead it has 5 small dials at the top.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 10:31:14 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 @ HIDLad001:  I didn't have to pay anything . all of this mess was done be previous homeowners. The amount of shear stupidity inside my house is nothing short of astounding !!!

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « Reply #12 on: August 29, 2023, 10:32:50 AM » Author: HIDLad001
Not exactly. The one I'm looking for doesn't have the odometer.
Instead it has 5 small dials at the top.

Was it an older version of this then? This looks newer because it has the modern style GE font and the serial number is high.

J.D.

View Posts
View Gallery
Electrician for 21 years

Re: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « Reply #13 on: August 29, 2023, 01:19:19 PM » Author: J.D.
This is the correct style but the one I'm looking for is older.
This one is from sometime during the 90s, you can tell by the GE logo.

What I'm looking for would have General Electric with the meatball logo between the two words.
And like the one in the picture have the five dials across the top.

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Any other watthour meter enthusiasts here? « Reply #14 on: September 02, 2023, 10:21:53 PM » Author: icefoglights
When I wasn't growing up, it wasn't so much the meters that I was interested in, but I was interested in the pedestals.  I grew up in a mobile home park, which had 4 different types of meter pedestals depending on when that section of the park was built.  The first 4 blocks had a simple black box suspended on a piece of U channel.  The next block had the same style pedestals, but they were grey instead of black.  The last three blocks had a more modern pedestal that looked more like a conventional meter box, with a main breaker inside, as well as outlets for travel trailers.  The oldest section, which was being vacated while I lived there, had double-sided pedestals that served two homes at once.  BTW, my meter was a Duncan with an odometer-style rolling digit display.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 10:28:34 PM by icefoglights » Logged

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies